Avoiding jargon, please can you explain "being open to life" to a non-Catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter EmilyAlexandra
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard academic theologians say that saint Augustine had it easier because a lot of theology was still unwritten. Nowadays there is much more to study and consider.
There are no doubt people who think that way.

I don’t think, though, I’ll ever forget my very first lecture in dogmatic theology, when the professor told us (he was one of the most orthodox persons I ever met, and a bit of an oddity in that particular faculty) : “You have it easy. The great and arduous task of defining orthodox Christianity is done, all that is left for you is to try and understand it, and then account for it as best as you can.”

The trilemma is actually a take on a very ancient argument - it has some staying power. It is really good when you consider it rightly.

Lewis is decent overall. Would recommend.

(I can appreciate that Lewis’s trilemma may well be an interesting idea for people who are already Christians, but if you’re not a Christian it is completely unconvincing.) However, perhaps I should give C.S. Lewis a chance.
I think it may be more aimed at the “Spiritual but not religious” person who argues that Jesus was just a great moral teacher but not God incarnate than an atheist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back