baby names

  • Thread starter Thread starter kristie_m
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kristie_m

Guest
Yep, here we go again!

After going in circles with dh, I’ve scrapped everything and am starting over. We have a boy’s name picked out, but after naming four girls, we’re running out of ideas! 😃

Here are the names that either one of us really doesn’t like or have already used:

Veronica
Sarah
Ann
Ruth
Elizabeth
Mary
Marie
Teresa
Lucy
Hannah
Abigail

We’d like either a biblical or saint’s name, but nothing too obscure. And no “female equivalent of…” names.

Ready? GO!
 
While not really a biblical name my best friend named her daughter Trinity Rose which I think is a very pretty name (and Rose is a saint).

I also like the name Christina (St. Christina) and Bridget (St. Bridget of Sweden)
 
What are your current children’s names? I know you have that list above, but I’d like to see what falls into your “likes” and “dislikes”…🤷
 
Biblical:
Rachel
Miriam
Rebecca
Cloe
Phoebe
Dinah
Deborah
Leah
Judith
Susanna
Lydia
Naomi
Martha
Priscilla
Rahab (just kidding)

Saints:
Brigid (of Ireland)
Gianna (St Gianna Molla)
Bernadette
Cecelia
Claire
Emma
Felicity
Isabelle
Catherine
Rose
Sofia
Vivian
Zita
 
I’ve been reading up on Saint Philomena lately. I think that would be a pretty name for a girl. Sophia is the name of a saint; I’ve personally always liked the name ‘Sophie’. 🙂
 
Here are some nice names:

Josephine
Alexandra
Pauline
Iacovina
Alexia (this is the proper feminine of Alexis)
Tamara (a saint who was queen of Georgia)

How about the Hebrew equivalent of two rejected names:

Miriam
Elisheva
 
Have you looked at the Saints’ feast days near your due date? I’ve seen people go that route successfully. You could also look at feast days around the time you plan to have the Baptism. One couple I know who had a child a few months back went with the name of the saint whose feast day was the day he was baptized. I thought that was very nice and very fitting.

Beyond names of the Saints or names from Scripture, there are also several names that go with the various virtues, especially for girls: Faith, Hope, Charity, Prudence, Temperance, Chastity, etc. I know I didn’t think of those names right off the bat when naming our kids because my first impulse was to think of actual people.

Sorry I don’t have some more specific names to recommend. I have a hard enough time coming up with names for my own kids. 😉

And if you really want to stretch it (;)), try looking at names found in “The Lord of the Rings.” Hey, it’s a very Catholic book! 🙂 And Arwen is a very pretty girl’s name. 😃 (If only I could get my wife to see it that way… :p)
 
[1] Rosemarie

[2] Elisha

[3] Faustina

[4] Kateri

[5] Ada

[6] Evelyn

[7] Margaret

[8] Olivia

[9] Claire

[10] Jacinta

[11] Bernadette

[12] Theresa

[13] Edith

[14] Eliana

[15] Elsie

[16] Gemma

[17] Gail

[18] Gianna

[19] Pearl

[20] Madalyn

I feel like stopping now haha. Most of these are saint, Bible, or Hebrew related.
 
When I was in high school I knew I wanted to name my daughter Genesis. When I finally did become pregnant and my husband and I were picking names I told him about that name. He loved it so much he decided that was going to be the baby’s name no matter the sex. God blessed us with a boy and that is his name. I like it very much.
 
Beyond names of the Saints or names from Scripture, there are also several names that go with the various virtues, especially for girls: Faith, Hope, Charity, Prudence, Temperance, Chastity, etc. I know I didn’t think of those names right off the bat when naming our kids because my first impulse was to think of actual people.
Actually, Faith, Hope and Charity are saints names as well. We’d considered them, but I felt a little weird naming my kid after a saint who had been martyred by the age of nine. 😊
 
How about a two name - name, like Anna Claire? And call her that? That opens up all sorts of possibilities.
 
Philomena is such a beautiful name. I don’t know what I would with Saint Philomena’s love and intercession.
 
As one poster suggested - I like Genevieve. A good friend of mine has a Genevieve. Theresa and Kristine are my favoites.
 
Vesper - I know it’s not really a “name,” but it has a beautiful, holy significance to it…

Here’s an idea - how about variants of other, Biblical names? This way you have a Biblical or saint’s name, but it’s more unique, without being obscure.

For example:

Babette - variant of Elisabeta (or Elizabeth, in English)

Devora - variant of Deborah

Bianca - Italian variant of Blanche (in honor of Our Lady of the Snows)

Trina
Katla = All variations of Catherine
Caitlin

Polly
Maureen =
Mirjam = These are all variants of Mary
Roula =
Marca

Mercedes - Spanish “variant” of Mary (in honor of Our Lady of Mercies)

I write a lot of (very bad) fiction, so I have about four good baby name books on hand at all times, and I update every two years or so. If there’s a common name you love, find out how it’s said in another language. Usually the spelling isn’t so out-there that it would look totally different, but in some cases it’s completely different, but you can still find it musical to the ear, while still giving honor to God and His saints, martyrs, and holy people.
 
A dear friend told me that her baby girl (coming in February) will be named Vivienne.
St Vivian died a horrid death (don’t they all) but it’s still a pretty name: stvivian.com/patron.html
 
How about a two name - name, like Anna Claire? And call her that? That opens up all sorts of possibilities.
I love these kinds of “two-fer” names, and think more people should do it. It’s us Catholics who invented the multi-name concept anyhow so we should reclaim the tradition.

There are some names (Mary or Marie, Anne or Anna) that can be the first or second name, and then any name you like as the other name. And then you call them by the full name. I had a cousin named Mary Angela and another named Mary Theresa, and that’s what they were both called.

I think Anna Claire is lovely. Or Mary Claire, or Claire Marie or Anna Grace or Annemarie…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top