L
Lori-H
Guest
Here is my experience.
DS#1 was speech delayed. He started speech therapy at 18 months (very pro-active ped.), and the first thing they did was start signing. As he started talking, he would sign at the same time. We learned only a few signs, and he started talking around 26 months. He still has some articulation problems at age 7 which he receives speech therapy for.
DS#2 was also a late talker. He started at 22 months. We did no signing with him. I was able to recognize his articulation mistakes (ex substituting w for R, not saying l ect.). I had him tested at 3, and 4, but he never qualified for speech therapy. He is now in kindergarten and the school tested him. His speech is age appropriate, but he mumbles and doesn’t open his mouth, so they are going to try and correct that aspect of his speech.
DS #3 is 14 months and just did his first sign last week! I have been teaching him “give me” for at least a couple months. I make the sign, and then make it with his hand. It finally clicked. Once he learned “give me” he picked up “more” and “all done” right away. Now I will check out some of the mentioned resources for more signs. Based on our family history of late talkers, I really don’t expect him to talk for another 4-5 months, but each child is different, and we will see.
My personal feeling is signing probably doesn’t delay speech, because you don’t typically sign in silence, but rather you say the word at the same time. Kids that sign, and talk late, might have been late talkers even if they didn’t sign.
DS#1 was speech delayed. He started speech therapy at 18 months (very pro-active ped.), and the first thing they did was start signing. As he started talking, he would sign at the same time. We learned only a few signs, and he started talking around 26 months. He still has some articulation problems at age 7 which he receives speech therapy for.
DS#2 was also a late talker. He started at 22 months. We did no signing with him. I was able to recognize his articulation mistakes (ex substituting w for R, not saying l ect.). I had him tested at 3, and 4, but he never qualified for speech therapy. He is now in kindergarten and the school tested him. His speech is age appropriate, but he mumbles and doesn’t open his mouth, so they are going to try and correct that aspect of his speech.
DS #3 is 14 months and just did his first sign last week! I have been teaching him “give me” for at least a couple months. I make the sign, and then make it with his hand. It finally clicked. Once he learned “give me” he picked up “more” and “all done” right away. Now I will check out some of the mentioned resources for more signs. Based on our family history of late talkers, I really don’t expect him to talk for another 4-5 months, but each child is different, and we will see.
My personal feeling is signing probably doesn’t delay speech, because you don’t typically sign in silence, but rather you say the word at the same time. Kids that sign, and talk late, might have been late talkers even if they didn’t sign.