Bahá'í

• Thread starter Thread starter Adamski
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adamski

A close friend is Bahá’í and was born in Iran to a Bahá’í family they told me they are required to learn about all world religions so I gave them the address to this web site. They currently go to a catholic church to pray because it doors are open all day and peaceful.

Hey Adamski 🙂

That’s interesting to know my friend. We already have a few Baha’is on CAF such as Arthra, Sen McGlinn and Smaneck.

I hope that we see your friend(s) around here sometime. I have always had a very fruitful dialogue with Baha’is from my past experience.

World religions which they claim a tie to but ultimately contradict.

The best Catholic forum on earth. Good place to learn about Catholicism:thumbsup:

However, why not join the Catholic church if it is peaceful?😃

MJ

A close friend is Bahá’í and was born in Iran to a Bahá’í family they told me they are required to learn about all world religions so I gave them the address to this web site. They currently go to a catholic church to pray because it doors are open all day and peaceful.
Baha’is do accept that the major religions are Divine in origin. While Baha’is may attend a church they normally would not become members.

🙂

Baha’is do accept that the major religions are Divine in origin. While Baha’is may attend a church they normally would not become members.

🙂
Hi Arthra. When you say attend the church say a Catholic one, do they perform all the rubrics that is found in the Catholic Mass? Or they just go in there when there is no Service and meditate/pray or whatever Baha’is do?

I would assume and hope that the former isn’t the case. However, if it is the former, then it would be recommended these Bahai (who do visit the Church and attend Mass) join the RCIA:thumbsup:

MJ

I work with several Muslims. They say that Bahai is to Muslim what Mormons are to Christians.

I find that an interesting comparison.

I had some friends in Honduras who were Bahai. I find their beliefs interesting and very peaceful.

I don’t see would you can merge different contradicting religions.

After finding out through DNA and historical records there is a strong chance my family was originally Persian Christians who immigrated to Poland I researched Persian history a little and have a theory that Bahá’í originated out of the forced conversion of Christians who merged Christianity and Islam. This was further validated by the fact thaty friend from Iran and is Bahá’í had a picture of Jesus up in thier house along with a bible

I work with several Muslims. They say that Bahai is to Muslim what Mormons are to Christians.

I find that an interesting comparison.
TEr
I had some friends in Honduras who were Bahai. I find their beliefs interesting and very peaceful.
A distinction would be that Latter-Day Saints profess to be Christian, while Baha’i don’t claim they are Muslim.

Tragically, the Islamic claim that Baha’i are Muslim heretics has deadly consequences under Sharia law.

There were many Baha’i where I used to live in Oregon. I do not like or understand the appeal of this religion. Syncretism is wrong and untenable. I have seen many people, well-meaning and good and peaceful and all that, come to this religion, being attracted by it’s “mystic” pretensions and the fact that, as a universalist and dispensationalist-leaning belief system, they felt a great deal of “harmony” existing in it faith. Most were formerly Christians of some kind and liked the fact that Jesus has some place in this religion. God have mercy on them. I see no harmony at all in such a messy, confused, and contradictory jumble of nonsense that makes up Baha’i theology and historiography.

The popularity of Baha’i religion outside of its historical homeland seems to be (like Sufi Islam, Buddhism, and various schools of Hinduism that you can find in the West) a result of modern, particularly Western preoccupation with niceness, political correctness, fairness, “all you need is love” thinking, or whatever else it is that you could call this impulse to deny exclusive truth claims found in Christianity, because after all, I have a neighbor/friend/coworker/acquaintance who is X, and they’re so nice/interesting/loving/friendly/knowledgeable/whatever. Be careful not to fall into this kind of trap. The claims of these other, more syncretic religions or forms of religion are, at heart, no less exclusive, as they only accept Christ within their pre-existing religious system, not as He and His apostles actually taught us to accept Him (and of course come with a lot more baggage than just that). So we must be careful never to fall prey to this kind of “niceness”, which is a gateway to apostasy and damnation.

Hi Arthra. When you say attend the church say a Catholic one, do they perform all the rubrics that is found in the Catholic Mass? Or they just go in there when there is no Service and meditate/pray or whatever Baha’is do?

I would assume and hope that the former isn’t the case. However, if it is the former, then it would be recommended these Bahai (who do visit the Church and attend Mass) join the RCIA:thumbsup:

MJ
You’ll have to ask Adamski above about the particular case…

All I’m suggesting here is that as Baha’is we’re free to visit Temples, churches or mosques as long as we do not join or do things that could cause a misunderstanding… so we would not say take communion in a church as that could imply membership… We might visit for a wedding if invited or observe a service…🙂

After finding out through DNA and historical records there is a strong chance my family was originally Persian Christians who immigrated to Poland I researched Persian history a little and have a theory that Bahá’í originated out of the forced conversion of Christians who merged Christianity and Islam. This was further validated by the fact thaty friend from Iran and is Bahá’í had a picture of Jesus up in thier house along with a bible
Interesting… I hadn’t of that particular “theory”…

Most of the early Baha’is had Muslim backgrounds and believed that the Bab fulfilled the prophecies of the appearance of the Mahdi. There were a lot of Zoroastrians and Jews who became Baha’is as well. One of the distinctions of the Baha’is is that you will find the Gospels cited and some of the missionaries believed they could become Christians because they accepted the New Testaments offered them while Muslims did not.

As to a picture of Jesus it may be something in that particular home but it is not a normal Baha’i practise to have pictures of a Manifestation such as Jesus … in the home.

🙂

I don’t see would you can merge different contradicting religions.
Baha’i Faith has it’s own Writings and practices that are distinct but we also believe in the spiritual oneness of the major religions. Baha’is are also active in inter-faith activities in many communities and particpate in the Parliament of World Religions when it meets.

We do acknowledge that there are different social ordinances in the various religions and sometimes this is due to the various cultures and relative isolation over time…

🙂

Wouldn’t neccessarily have to say Christianity today is corrupt? That it was corrupted at a very early point? Because we hold to the trinity (not the bahai redefinition of the historic doctrine, but the actual trinity) and say that Jesus rose physically as the first of the ressurection?

Baha’i Faith has it’s own Writings and practices that are distinct but we also believe in the spiritual oneness of the major religions. Baha’is are also active in inter-faith activities in many communities and particpate in the Parliament of World Religions when it meets.

We do acknowledge that there are different social ordinances in the various religions and sometimes this is due to the various cultures and relative isolation over time…

🙂
Why dont you think Jesus is God
How can he be a prophet if he said he was God
The Jews and Romans put him to death because he said he was God so he must be a liar, lunatic or God.

Why dont you think Jesus is God
How can he be a prophet if he said he was God
The Jews and Romans put him to death because he said he was God so he must be a liar, lunatic or God.
For Baha’is Jesus is a Manifestation of God meaning He perfectly reflected the attributes of God to humanity… and of course we believe He was the promised Messiah of the earlier scriptures.

We don’t believe God incarnates Himself in the flesh…

🙂

For Baha’is Jesus is a Manifestation of God meaning He perfectly reflected the attributes of God to humanity… and of course we believe He was the promised Messiah of the earlier scriptures.

We don’t believe God incarnates Himself in the flesh…

🙂
If he lied about his nature and said he was god should he be feared as false?
below is just one verse

John 8:58 - Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

If he lied about his nature and said he was god should he be feared as false?
below is just one verse

John 8:58 - Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
He didn’t lie about His nature…

In our Writings there are three stations of the Manifestation…
  1. A physical material part…
  2. The rational soul…which is the human reality…
The two above are shared by us all as human beings…

and the third station 3)

*The third station is that of the divine appearance and heavenly splendor: it is the Word of God, the Eternal Bounty, the Holy Spirit.

It has neither beginning nor end, for these things are related to the world of contingencies and not to the divine world. For God the end is the same thing as the beginning. So the reckoning of days, weeks, months and years, of yesterday and today, is connected with the terrestrial globe; but in the sun there is no such thing – there is neither yesterday, today nor tomorrow, neither months nor years*

~ Abdu’l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 150

🙂

You’ll have to ask Adamski above about the particular case…

All I’m suggesting here is that as Baha’is we’re free to visit Temples, churches or mosques as long as we do not join or do things that could cause a misunderstanding… so we would not say take communion in a church as that could imply membership… We might visit for a wedding if invited or observe a service…🙂
Thank you Athra. Glad that Baha’i are careful in this respect.

After all Catholicism and Baha’i are not the same thing so it makes sense.

MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back