BAHA'I thread III - feel free to ask of Baha'i any questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Servant19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Servant19

Dear friends,

Please feel free to continue the exploration of Baha’i concepts here. The previous two threads have both reached 1000 posts and as per the forum rules, a new thread has been started here.

Warmest blessings to all 🙂

In the previous thread, SteveVH asked what is so “different” about what the Baha’is do. Catholics have mastered the art of charitable works (and it is true) so what more can the Baha’is give?

The response may be found in these quotes from the Universal House of Justice:
“Bahá’u’lláh’s Revelation is vast. It calls for profound change not only at the level of the individual but also in the structure of society. “Is not the object of every Revelation”, He Himself proclaims, “to effect a transformation in the whole character of mankind, a transformation that shall manifest itself, both outwardly and inwardly, that shall affect both its inner life and external conditions?” The work advancing in every corner of the globe today represents the latest stage of the ongoing Bahá’í endeavour to create the nucleus of the glorious civilization enshrined in His teachings, the building of which is an enterprise of infinite complexity and scale, one that will demand centuries of exertion by humanity to bring to fruition. There are no shortcuts, no formulas. Only as effort is made to draw on insights from His Revelation, to tap into the accumulating knowledge of the human race, to apply His teachings intelligently to the life of humanity, and to consult on the questions that arise will the necessary learning occur and capacity be developed.”
-Universal House of Justice 2010
and again here:
“Let no one fail to appreciate the possibilities thus created. Passivity is bred by the forces of society today. A desire to be entertained is nurtured from childhood, with increasing efficiency, cultivating generations willing to be led by whoever proves skilful at appealing to superficial emotions. Even in many educational systems students are treated as though they were receptacles designed to receive information. That the Bahá’í world has succeeded in developing a culture which promotes a way of thinking, studying, and acting, in which all consider themselves as treading a common path of service—supporting one another and advancing together, respectful of the knowledge that each one possesses at any given moment and avoiding the tendency to divide the believers into categories such as deepened and uninformed—is an accomplishment of enormous proportions. And therein lie the dynamics of an irrepressible movement.”
  • Universal House of Justice 2010
Feel free to address any points that may arise from these passages 🙂

Servant…

Thanks for opening this thread… I think I’m going to rest a bit and enjoy the evening…the cool part of it at least and maybe check back later

“And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day…”

🙂

Dear friends,

Please feel free to continue the exploration of Baha’i concepts here. The previous two threads have both reached 1000 posts and as per the forum rules, a new thread has been started here.

Warmest blessings to all 🙂
By the way…where did the Bahai faith start or was born?

Hi pablope, thanks for your question.

The Baha’i Faith began with the Declaration of the Bab on 23rd May, 1844, in a city called Shiraz in Persia (now known as Iran, and previously known as Elam)

God bless 🙂

Hi pablope, thanks for your question.

The Baha’i Faith began with the Declaration of the Bab on 23rd May, 1844, in a city called Shiraz in Persia (now known as Iran, and previously known as Elam)

God bless 🙂
Thanks…but Iran, as we know is a muslim nation…how could they alllow the birth of another faith aside from Islam…I am just wondering.

Thanks…but Iran, as we know is a muslim nation…how could they alllow the birth of another faith aside from Islam…I am just wondering.
Good question, boy did they try to kill off the religion from the very start. Thousands upon thousands of believers were massacred.

Yet the Faith of God attracted blessings from these sacrifices and with the blood of its martyrs (a term which Muslims can learn a lot from the Baha’is on what it really means) propogated itself to now being the second most widespread religion on the planet.

Even today, Baha’is are being imprisoned, their rights removed and callously killed in Iran.
My second cousin was killed ony 3 days ago in Iran in what was a response to an Islamic fatwa against the Baha’is

But, sacrifices of this nature will never stain the Baha’i Faith, God is its Supreme Protector 🙂

Pablope,
One of the great visions of Daniel took place in Elam, which eventually was called Persian, and is now known as Iran. Shiraz is in the SW part of Iran, which was called Elam in Biblical times. You can look it up in maps of the Bible. See Daniel 8:2

Also, a very important prophecy of Jeremiah 49:34, 35…
“There shall be no nation where the outcasts of Elam shall not come.”

49:38 “And I will set My throne in Elam…”

The persecution of the Baha’is by fanatic Muslims since its inception has caused a flow of refugees to be “cast out” of ancient Elam in modern times such that they are essentially now found in every nation on earth, thus fulfilling the prophecy. It is very severe, and very real. My wife’s family was cast out in 1978, very lucky to get out, with family members who stayed imprisoned.

After two threads of this, I’m done. I will note however the majority of my objections have not been addressed and mostly ignored.

In Mark 4:26-29, Jesus addresses His disciples in this manner: (which I find very interesting)
"He also said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. 27 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. 28 All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. 29 As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.”
How do Catholics reconcile this “gradual” creation of the Kingdom of God with the cataclysmic, sudden and all-subduing version of the bringing about of the Kingdom of God on earth?

After two threads of this, I’m done. I will note however the majority of my objections have not been addressed and mostly ignored.
Sorry to hear that Ignatian.

We do try and answer your questions, but it sometimes feels as though we are not heard by you at all. We seem to not have this difficulty with any other posters in the Baha’i threads.

I, for one, will endeavour to find a means by which we can be heard by you. Sometimes it feels as though we are speaking in two different languages.

All we can do is try, my friend 🙂

God bless

Doormouse, you may not have noticed but your questions were answered in the previous thread.

I also asked you a question, to which I have yet to hear a response 🙂

I hope you’ll reconsider. Abdu’l-Baha said that “The shining spark of truth cometh forth only after the clash of differing opinions.” We continue to invite all questions/opinions and we both can learn from each other.

Well history of the mid nineteenth century tells us they didn’t allow the Faith… They denounced it and persecuted the believers and still do to this day…It is believed twenty thousand people sacrificed their lives in the early years of our Faith in Iran and Baha’u’llah spent most of His life imprisoned or in exiled from His homeland. It’s a long story and is still a sad one, but thanks be to God the Faith has since spread around the world.

Baha’is actually have two sites of pilgrimage… One in Baghdad, Iraq is the House of Baha’u’llah and the other is the House of the Bab in Shiraz Iran. Both of these sites of pilgrimage have been destroyed by fanatics… Today our site of pilgrimage is Mount Carmel in the Holy Land…

We also pray for the some three hundred thousand believers who are in Iran and facing oppression and persecution every day in Iran.

What has become apparent to many is that the prophetic dates found in the Book of Daniel and Revelation coincide with Jewish, Christian, and Islamic histories and calendars.

Most prominently, the year 1260 AH is the year 1844 AD, which is the end of the 2300 days (years) prophecy of Daniel.

The Millerite and Adventist Movement centered their entire theology upon the belief that 1844 marked the fulfillment of these prophecies. They hold to this yet today, but as Jesus did not appear as they expected Him, in literal “clouds”, they failed to recognize His appearance in Elam in 1844 AD, or 1260 AH…

Some one has probably already asked you this, but what is your favorite aspect of your faith or which thing do you treasure the most about your faith?

If your up to it. Why should someone convert to your faith? What makes it better then christianity? What parts are similar to Christianity

Some one has probably already asked you this, but what is your favorite aspect of your faith or which thing do you treasure the most about your faith?

If your up to it. Why should someone convert to your faith? What makes it better then christianity? What parts are similar to Christianity
Protestor,
. Baha’is believe that the time foreordained in all the Holy Books is now occurring and that the Promised One of all the religions has come and that “this is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future.”
. Baha’is believe that “All the Prophets proclaim the same Faith”, that the time of the One Fold and the One Shepherd has come. Among Native Americans this was prophesied to be the fulfillment of Black Elk’s vision: “And I saw forming the Sacred Hoop of all nations”.
. Among the other religions there has been promised to the Jews the coming of the Lord of Hosts, to Christians Christ shall return in the Glory of the Father. Buddhists await the Buddha of Universal Brotherhood, Hindus the 10th Incarnation of Krsna, Muslims the Mihdi and Messiah, Zoroastrians await one called Shah Bahram, etc.
Baha’u’llah is the Promised One of all religions, and the community He has established is world wide, drawing millions together in this spiritual unity which is composed of every nation, tribe, class, color, and religion on earth. It is amazing to attend large gatherings of people from all over the world who have a common vision of humanity.

. “Nothing short of the unity of the entire human race shall suffice to heal the ills which afflict mankind.”
. “The earth is but one country, mankind its citizens.”
. “Glory not in this that you love your country, rather glory in this, than you love mankind.”

. Baha’is really do not “convert” as such, for we all retain our beliefs, such as in Christ, and Jews or Muslims who become Baha’is do so by recognizing Christ as the Messiah, while upon independently investigating the claims and reading the Writings of Baha’u’llah come to believe that He truly is the One foretold.

. There is a continuation of God’s message, through His Messengers, in a process of “progressive revelation” in which each of the Prophets lays the foundation for the next, as teachers in the same school. The religion of Abraham was preparatory for the time of Moses, whose foundation was laid for the coming of Jesus, the Christ.

. “That the divers communions of the earth, and the manifold systems of religious belief, should never be allowed to foster the feelings of animosity among men, is, in this Day, of the essence of the Faith of God and His Religion. These principles and laws, these firmly-established and mighty systems, have proceeded from one Source, and are rays of one Light. That they differ one from another is to be attributed to the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated.” Bahá’u’lláh

Thanks Protestor!

Since Daler already replied I’d like to also respond to your post…

Actually I can’t recall anyone off hand asking your question! What is my favorite aspect of the Faith…

I was going to say for myself something about it’s authenticity… that is, I’ve personally met some of the Hands of the Cause appointed by Shoghi Effendi the grandson of Abdul-Baha and gone on pilgrimage to the Holy Land: Mount Carmel and Akka etc…so I’ve seen the sites there and visited the Shrines.

Once you’ve gone on pilgrimage you can spiritually return again and again…every time I recite the obligatory prayer I turn to the Holy Land…

So in a way these places in the Holy Land are connected physically to the same sites of pilgrimage that are holy to Jews, Muslims and Christians as well! The fruitful planes of the Galilee are nearby…so in becoming a Baha’i we don’t really leave Christianity… or feel how superior we are…

Rather it’s a fulfillment. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back