Baptist Pastor Here

• Thread starter Thread starter Home2RomeIDK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Home2RomeIDK

Hello friends. I’m a Baptist pastor. For the last year, I’ve been in a personal struggle. Before I begin, I should note that I’m not one who is dogmatically anti-catholic or anything such as that. I’ve always held Catholicism in high regard. However, I’m beginning to feel as if my time in the Baptist realm is nearing its end. To make a long story short, for the last year I’ve been wrestling with wanting to explore the Catholic and/or Anglican tradition. It all started when I decided to do a deeper study on the Eucharist. I read a fictional book called “Symbol or Substance” by Peter Kreeft. I was intrigued and began to dig more. Then becoming more annoyed with the idea of denominations, etc. I apologize I said this was going to be short. Although I’m still not fully persuaded by some of my hang-ups with the Catholic Church, I suppose I’m just asking for prayer. Prayer as I explore fairly the obstacles that stand in my way. For if I were to “Come home to Rome” it would be quite the transition for my family. Appreciate you listening.

Firstly, welcome to this forum. I hope you find some use in this forum. You might also see one common argument against the Catholic Church🤭. Half-joking, but as a Pastor, I’m sure you’ll understand.

Secondly, my prayers for you as you explore and resolve the obstacles you may have.

Peace.

Prayers being sent up. Have you read Scott Hahn’s book Rome Sweet Home?

Yes, welcome! May God bless you on your journey. I’m a convert, from a non/denominational background(Church of Christ) and I will pray for you.

Absolutely, I will pray for you and your journey, may you find the truth! Jesus said that the truth will set you free.
Peace!

Hello home2romeidk,
I’m saying a prayer for you. I just wanted to let you know that you are far from alone on this journey, and some others have posted some great resources above. I would definitely check out the book “Rome Sweet Home”.
I wish you the best on your search for the truth!
I myself am a “convert” who had some struggles. I can only imagine how hard it would be for a pastor.

Hi @Home2RomeIDK (and thank you, @Cecilia_Dympna, for pointing me to the thread) !

You’re not alone. I am a Reformed pastor and just in the same boat as you. It is indeed quite the transition, and a bumpy road at times. Feel free to pm me if you’d like.

We had a thread (two actually) called “on the Tiber’s shore” but I’m not sure the most recent one hasn’t been closed yet; anyway, both are still accessible for reading.

You are in my prayers.

Prayers for you–you are a seeker, and those that seek will find! You might benefit from checking out the Youtube episodes of The Journey Home with host Marcus Grodi, which feature converts to Catholicism telling their story, sharing the call and the difficulties along the way. A number of the episodes feature former Baptists. Here just one I randomly pulled up:

Last edited:
Former Baptist, here! Please know that I will be praying for you!! Welcome to CAF :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

There is an EWTN radio show named “ Called to Communion” that I recommend you listen to. You can download the podcasts do you can listen during your own free time. It is for non-Catholics considering the Faith.

I will pray for you.

Funny enough, when I was an atheist studying comparative religion, a book by Dr. Kreeft called “Letters to an Atheist” opened my heart to Christianity.

After he personally answered my questions, I converted entirely. One of my questions was “which denomination should I join?” This was his answer:
Catholicism is not a “denomination.” Denominationalism is strongly repudiated in the Bible (I Corinthians 1-2). It is the continuation of the church Jesus founded, which split into two parts, East and West, in 1054, but both held the same creeds and sacraments, then in 1517 the beginning of what is now 30,000 different Protestant denominations none of which claim succession from the apostles as both the Eastern and Western (Orthodox and Catholic) branches do. The Catholic Church is at least the default position, the original. The Protestant claim is that the Catholic Church added many things to the original “deposit of faith” from Christ and the apostles; but the more one reads the history and documents of the early church the more one sees a seamless web of continuity from Christ to the present Catholic Church. For instance, every Christian in the world believed what only Catholics (and Anglo-Catholics) believe now: that Christ is literally, truly, really present behind the appearances of bread and wine in the Eucharist–until the Reformation.
The Bible itself says Christ authorized his apostles to teach in his name (“He who hears you, hears me”), and they ordained successors (the bishops) who ordained successors, etc. for the last 2000 years.
Also, if as Protestants say only the Bible is infallible and not the Church, how do we know we have the right Bible, since the Church defined it and canonized it (listed its books), hundreds of years after Christ. A fallible cause cannot produce an infallible effect.
The day after, I prayed to God for forgiveness. The day after that, after we struggled with years of infertility, my wife was pregnant with our first son.

Listen to Dr. Kreeft. I’ve known so many bright scholars in my life, but his mind outshines them all. More than that, he helped deliver my family (we are four now, and my wife converted from atheism too) to the Lord - not that you don’t already know Him (probably even better than I do, as a pastor yourself), but I hope you join us and get to know Him even better than before!

Last edited:
I have not. I am currently reading “The Case for Catholicism” by Trent Horn. I’ve been listening to him a lot over the last year and Jimmy Akin.

I would like that a lot. I’m new to the forum so do I message through here or is there an email you rather use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back