Baptized in Spirit and nothing happened

• Thread starter Thread starter Madaglan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madaglan

Hey,

Tonight I was “baptized in the Spirit” by my local charismatic prayer group. I prayed to God that He give me the gifs of the Spirit if that is His will, but that if it is not His will, that He not give me these gifts, which most Catholics do not have the pleasure to have. Anyhow, I prayed constantly the entire two hours for the Lord Jesus Christ to have mercy on sinful me.

The congregation laid their hands upon me, prayed over me in tongues for me to receive tongues and the other gifts, but I didn’t experience a sense of great peace or anything of the like. If anything I felt a bit awkward with fifteen foreign languages spoken at once around me! :bigyikes:

One of the priests told me that it may take a few days for the baptism to take effect (sorta like an antibiotic, antidepressant, or other slow-working drug).

Anyhow, I’m just wondering what charismatics think about all this? Does it mean that since I didn’t feel peace and love that I am hopelessly lost in God’s eyes? If I don’t receive any of the gifts of the Spirit, does this mean that God won’t save me? I’ve honestly given some thought to this. Any comments would be helpful.

I am not a charismatic. I am not even a Catholic. I probably shouldn’t say anything. But I think that if you prayed for 2 solid hours to Jesus, well, I think that that says a lot of good things about your faith & your love for God. We do not always “feel” things. Sometimes we have to have faith without consolations, & it just means God knows you can handle this.

Madaglan you received the gifts of the Holy Spirit at your baptism and they were strengthened at your Confirmation.

God wills the salvation of all people which is why he sent His Son to die on the cross for us. If you are conscious of doing something against God’s will go to confession and sanctifying grace will come into your soul.

You will only be ‘hopelessly lost’ if you die unrepentant of your sins. Jesus gave us the sacrament of reconciliation for the forgiveness of sin.
God loves you with a Father’s love. God gave us free will and so you can choose to follow Jesus or not and accept the consequences.

40.png
Madaglan:
Hey,

Tonight I was “baptized in the Spirit” by my local charismatic prayer group. I prayed to God that He give me the gifs of the Spirit if that is His will, but that if it is not His will, that He not give me these gifts, which most Catholics do not have the pleasure to have. Anyhow, I prayed constantly the entire two hours for the Lord Jesus Christ to have mercy on sinful me.

The congregation laid their hands upon me, prayed over me in tongues for me to receive tongues and the other gifts, but I didn’t experience a sense of great peace or anything of the like. If anything I felt a bit awkward with fifteen foreign languages spoken at once around me! :bigyikes:

One of the priests told me that it may take a few days for the baptism to take effect (sorta like an antibiotic, antidepressant, or other slow-working drug).

Anyhow, I’m just wondering what charismatics think about all this? Does it mean that since I didn’t feel peace and love that I am hopelessly lost in God’s eyes? If I don’t receive any of the gifts of the Spirit, does this mean that God won’t save me? I’ve honestly given some thought to this. Any comments would be helpful.
Madaglan,
You answered your own question. Don’t sweat it.
Read 1st Corinthians 12 and 13 (Both Chapters)
Pax vobiscum,

40.png
Madaglan:
Hey,

Sounds to me a bit like you were testing God.
Do you harbor some prejudice for people that speak languages that differ from your own?
Yes, you’re spot on, the Holy Spirit is just like you described. :rolleyes:
Disrespectful I think.
Anyhow, I’m just wondering what charismatics think about all this?
I’m not a “charismatic”, I’m a Christian.
Does it mean that since I didn’t feel peace and love that I am hopelessly lost in God’s eyes?
The key word here is “feel”. If you were expecting to “feel” something, then it’s not surprising that you didn’t. Warm fuzzy “feelings” are commonly experienced, but really mean nothing other than warm fuzzy feelings.
If I don’t receive any of the gifts of the Spirit, does this mean that God won’t save me?
You recieved the gifts of the Holy Spirit when you were Baptized & Confirmed. If you did not sense a deeper awareness of this when you were prayed for then it could be again that you were expect (or not) to “feel” something & then felt disappointed that you didn’t experience what you thought you would. Either way, all things are done in Gods’ time, not ours.
I’ve honestly given some thought to this.
So it seems.
Any comments would be helpful.
Doesn’t really sound like you were actually "baptized in the Holy Spirit’, but if that’s what people told you then maybe you were really doubtful that this “baptism of the Spirit” was something you wanted. Could you have gone into the experience trying to accept it, expecting to “feel” something, but had an underlying sense of doubt? I’ve seen many “baptisms in the Spirit”, & aside from the warm fuzzy feelings that may or may not be experienced some peoples lives are not drastically changed mainly because they really didn’t want them to change.Maybe that’s the case with you.

Was your heart trully in it is what I’m asking?

40.png
Madaglan:
Hey,

it sounds like, as with some of what you shared in previous posts, you are judging spiritual effects by your feelings. you could not choose a less reliable barometer. look in Galatians for the fruits of the Holy Spirit. as a result of your confirmation, and because in baptism of the Spirit you have again opened yourself up to the action of the Holy Spirit in your life, you should see those fruits apparent over time in your life, that you become kinder, gentler, more patient, stronger, more merciful etc. If in spite of going thru the actions and rituals a person retains a resistance to the Holy Spirit, clinging to an attachment to sin in one area of life, clinging to a spirit of resentment or unforgiveness, clinging to a spirit of spitefulness or jealousy, as examples, the Spirit cannot work in them because they will not allow it. The Spirit respect free will and will not enter where He is not wanted or welcomed.

My friend, you know I am not belittling you or your experience, but operate under the assumption that because you share details of your spiritual journey with us that you invite our (name removed by moderator)ut. What I read over and over is that you are looking here and there, anyplace but your own heart, and almost “daring” God to work in you. I certainly could not or would not comment on the interior state of your soul but I urgently suggest you bring it to your confessor or spiritual director for the guidance you need and are seeking.

“Baptized in the Spirit”?

You receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit at your Confirmation. Confirmation is your “baptism in the Spirit”.

But you don’t mean Confirmation do you?

Or do you?

Are the Charimatic groups praticing some kind of pseudo-sacrament?

Could someone explain this please and how it is not a denial of the gifts received in the sacrament of Confirmantion.

John_19_59 said:
“Baptized in the Spirit”?

You receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit at your Confirmation. Confirmation is your baptism in the Spirit.

But you don’t mean Confirmation do you?

Or do you?

Are the Charimatic groups praticing some kind of pseudo-sacrament?

Could someone explain this please and how it is not a denial of the gifts received in the sacrament of Confirmantion.

The Baptism in the Spirit thing is one of the issues I have with the Charismatic groups.

They say that the only evidence that one is Baptized in the Spirit is the “Gift of Tongues” which they equate with the praying in tongues. This is some unknown private language that they pray in.

This is most likely the “fifteen foregin languages” that Madaglan was speaking of when they “prayed” over her.

This is “praying in tongues” is not what the Bible speaks about when it talks about the Gift of Tongues. That gift is the ability to speak in a language you do not know but someone hearing it knows.

The Chrismatic groups seem to teach, contrary to the Bible, that everyone recieves this gift, the “Praying in Tongues”. Yet the Bible clearly states that not everyone recieves the same gifts.

There is another issue I have with the Chrismatic groups going on here. They seem to say that there are second class christians. That there are those who recieve Baptism and Chrismation and then those who also recieve the “Baptism in the Spirit” and if you do not pray in tongues you don’t have it. Makes for a very cliquis group. Like they have something that no one else gets.

40.png
Madaglan:
Hey,

Tonight I was “baptized in the Spirit” by my local charismatic prayer group. …
Hi Magdaglan,

I had the experience of being prayed for “Baptism in the Holy Spirit” over 30 years ago and I did receive the ” Tongues of Praise”….
I was afraid of it and didn’t even like the prayer team that I was led to for these prayers…( to give you an idea of where I was at).:rolleyes: I wasn’t even sure that I totally believed all that stuff that I learned in the “Life In The Spirit Seminar”.:o That said, I think I got it because I wasn’t expecting it….😉 Maybe your expectations were too great. As other posters have already mentioned, you already have the Gifts of the Holy Spirit at Baptism and a deeper outpouring at Confirmation.
Praying for a deepening**** in your spiritual life is in essence what’s happening when Charismatics pray for “Baptism in the Holy Spirit”

Be patient! God is in charge….wait on Him. Meanwhile I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Annunciata:)

As has been pointed out in baptism and confirmation you received the Holy Spirit. Chrismatic means gifted by the Spirit. Not everyone receives the same gifts. AND not everyone speaks in tongues. Maybe you received a gift, but it wasn’t tongues. If you read what Paul said about all of this he downplays that particular gift. So don’t feel you have to have the same experience or gifts as the others. If anyone tells you that you must speak in tongues they are simply wrong. The Church does not teach that. When I am asked if I speak in tongues I say “sure I speak Japanese”.

I don’t know much about this charismatic stuff, but it doesn’t sound Catholic to me. It sounds like more of something I would see on some televangelist show. If you were Baptized and Confirmed in the usual manner, why do you need this other baptism? Can’t we just be satisfied with the gifts God has given us and use them to the best of our abilities to obey and serve Him? Why does everyone there need to speak in tongues, anyway? Is there a problem with communicating in plain English? I don’t think God is going to hand out pointless gifts just because you ask for them. Use the gifts you do have and if you need more, God will give them to you.

Don’t let all this mumbo jumbo make you feel somehow worth less than these other folks.

I also attended a life in the Spirit seminar and was “Baptized in the Spirit” last Friday.

It was a subtle experience but it did have effects…not so much emotional, but spiritual. I can’t stay away from Communion. I can’t eat, have no interest in food, adn I’m not hungry. If I’m starting to feel hunger and attend Communion, I am no longer hungry.

Now, that’s not to say I’m not eating…I"m just forcing myself to eat things like nutritional shakes. But I want nothing more. For people in my life who know me they think I"m sick. But I’ve never felt better or more at peace in my life.

Our group is far different than what the OP described. We were annointed by our very devout and orthodox priest. Some people in the group do speak in tongues, but to my knowledge, none of us who was “Baptized” on Friday do. I’m not looking for any particular gift and was actually looking through this experience to deepen my own spirituality. This has happened for me in a big way.

I’ve also become aware of how desperately I need a Spiritual Director and am actively praying for/ seeking one.

As far as the “extra-sacramental” nature of this, it was described to us as more of a reawakening of something we have already been given–not something that others don’t have.

The teachings each week were very solid, Biblical and Catholic. They were about the Love of Christ, the Trinity, Salvation-- how Christ saved us, Forgiveness (Confession was strongly encouraged after this teaching), Healing, and finally the Holy Spirit and where he is found in Scripture. This coming Friday is about growing in our faith or something like that.

I have learned so much, and with what I"m reading here, I believe that in my parish we are very lucky and blessed to have such a devout and sincere priest to lead us closer to Jesus.

I have a big problem with the term “Baptism in the Spirit”.

This “baptism” is DIFFERENT from baptism with water, right?

Wait a second…I thought we believed in “one baptism for the forgiveness of sins”!

From the Catechism:
1213 Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua),4 and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."5
Tell me, does “baptism in the Spirit” free us from all our sins?
Are we reborn in it?
Are we spiritually regenerated through it?
If yes, then there is more than one baptism.
If no, then it should not be called “baptism”!

The sacrament of baptism could rightly be called “baptism in the spirit”
1266 The Most Holy Trinity gives the baptized sanctifying grace, the grace of justification:
  • enabling them to believe in God, to hope in him, and to love him through the theological virtues;
  • giving them the power to live and act under the prompting of the Holy Spirit through the gifts of the Holy Spirit;
  • allowing them to grow in goodness through the moral virtues.
    Thus the whole organism of the Christian’s supernatural life has its roots in Baptism.
So let’s come up with a new term for this.

Don’t sweat it. I had alot of people ( all of which were pentacostales ) pray over me and nothing happened. Then one night I put a praise and worship tape into my headset to listen to and well feel asleep. Next thing I’m being woke up by my roommate ( I was in college at the time ) telling me to keep it down before I wake up the entire dorm. I noticed ( it was hard not to ) that I was crying out to God with all my being and crying like a baby. Mind you I was dead asleep! Then I noticed I was vibrating, Like all of this energy going through me but I could feel all of my body parts. The feeling did not feel hurt-full in any way. Rather it was very calming and peaceful. The feeling lasted about half hour or so that I can tell. I was asleep for two or three before being woken up. Well move up to the following Sunday. People started speaking in tounges and it just came out! Maybe it was always there and just needed to be let loose so to speak. I was raised and confirmed in the Catholic church. If that helps at all? Jesus also says in Mark that " They will speak with new tounges " . It also seams clear that there was an issue back then about “Tounges” just as there is today. I guess what I trying to say is that it will happen in Gods time. Just keep seeking him. Seek the kingdom of God first and all will be added unto you. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable because they speak in tounges , tell them. The gifts of the Spirit are not meant to be " stumbling blocks " or make anyone feel inferior. They are Gifts to help the body of Christ. Maybe just maybe you are meant for one or more of the higher gifts. And we all need to remember that the Holy Spirit gives all these gifts for a reason! God bless and may His mercies and graces be upon you and your family.

The impression I get from reading the above posts, is that the fullness of Christianity cannot be experienced through the Seven Sacraments unless you also have this other pseudo-baptism too. I think this is a dangerous road to start heading down. Instead of praying to Jesus for two hours to help you speak in tongues (why is this necessary anyways?) or help you feel all warm and fuzzy, you could be before the Blessed Sacrament praying for many other worthwhile causes. Likewise, this laying of hands should be reserved for the clergy and Holy Orders, no? This just seems like pentacostal emotionalism to me. I mean, the original poster is feeling terrible and rejected by God because she didn’t have this emotional experience. That is not what our faith is all about. Sorry if I’ve offended. Feel free to show me how I’ve misunderstood.

For those who think this is a “pseudo-baptism”, it really isn’t, and the more people I talk to the more I find EVERYONE hates the term!

We acknowledge that we are already baptized, we have recieved the sacraments.

In the seminar I am attending there was not “laying of hands” by anyone other than our Priest. And only to make the sign of the cross on our foreheads in oil. Very simple. Very quiet, no praying over people for 2 hours.

If this is being done it is an abuse and it is not Catholic. I have no qualms about what I experienced and would recommend it to anyone. But I would not recommend the experience that Madaglan had as from what she is saying it was not done within the bounds of true Catholicism.

The true focus of the seminar is to bring one closer to Christ. I have found this to be true for me so I am satisfied. I hope to continue to grow spiritually. The seminar met that goal not just with me but with others. We were all looking to deepen our faith. The “gifts of the Spirit”-- well…faith, love, compassion, etc…those are the fruits of the Spirit, and the true gifts we Catholics need to live by.

Read 1 Corinthians 13. That’s what it’s really about.

As John_19_59 pointed out, the gift of “tongues” bestowed at Pentecost was an ability to speak in other languages that other people can understand. What would have been the use of the gift if the Apostles had not been able to communicate with the people of far off lands to tell them the good news? Babbling nonsense certainly would NOT have spread the Gospel to anyone!

The word tongues as used in the book of Acts means understandable languages. Sounds more like a pentecostal meeting than a Catholic service - of some sort; no Catholic “service” I’ve ever heard of.
And a priest (?) told you that “it may take a few days for the baptism to take effect”???

The whole Tongues thing is what really bothers me about “charismatic” groups. As others have said, “speaking in tongues” refers to people speaking languages they’ve never learned that others understand, like me suddenly speaking in fluent Chinese. This “personal prayer language” stuff has no basis in Scripture, nor in Tradition. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit were so that people could better evangelize, not so they could have a “feel good” private form of prayer with their personal friends. I stay far, FAR away from charismatics, and I would never willingly pray with someone who was using a “private prayer language”.

Sister Briege Mckenna was babtised in the spirit,as far as I know it is for real but can be abused,with introductions of new age,and praying in proxy.saint-mike.org/qa/default.asp
Go to the quesions and answers forum and do a search for the charismatic movement and it will outline what is valid and not in different questions.God Bless

I was baptized in the Spirit…

…at my BAPTISM.

In the sacrament of baptism I was renewed in the Holy Spirit
CCC 1215 This sacrament is also called “the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit,” for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one “can enter the kingdom of God.”
In the sacrament of baptism I received the gift of the Holy Spirit
CCC 1226 From the very day of Pentecost the Church has celebrated and administered holy Baptism. Indeed St. Peter declares to the crowd astounded by his preaching: "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."26 The apostles and their collaborators offer Baptism to anyone who believed in Jesus: Jews, the God-fearing, pagans.27 Always, Baptism is seen as connected with faith: “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household,” St. Paul declared to his jailer in Philippi. and the narrative continues, the jailer "was baptized at once, with all his family.
I cannot urge everyone strongly enough to please stop calling this experience experience of the charismatic renewal “baptism.” I am not denying that anyone is experiencing something real with the Holy Spirit, but there is only one baptism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back