P
PJM
Guest
Yes, so long as you do not actually actively participate in the ceremony and avoid their version of “holy communion”:tiphat:So, if I was just going to attend the ceremony and be an observer, then that would be ok to do?
Yes, so long as you do not actually actively participate in the ceremony and avoid their version of “holy communion”:tiphat:So, if I was just going to attend the ceremony and be an observer, then that would be ok to do?
So that means that until the letter is written and the response from the Bishop is in the mail the defecting person is still Catholic?Technically that is correct. Many “Ex-Catholics” are actually simply non-practicing Catholics. To some extent it does not matter if they are officially Ex-Catholics or Non-Practicing Catholics, they are both steaming towards large icebergs, and some one should warn them. If they heed the warnings is up to them.
That would be correct. Have you checked with your pastor lately? IT’s possible your Bishop has contacted him, but with the holidays he has been busy.So that means that until the letter is written and the response from the Bishop is in the mail the defecting person is still Catholic?
Please forgive me for interjecting here, I am just wondering.
That is quite interesting… I heard about this and wrote my letter nearly a month ago, no response yet. That would classify me as much as a Catholic as said person in the wedding? (Just curious.)
In Him,
Janet
The Canon Law on this changed. There is no more such thing as Formal Defection - or will not be once the MP goes into effect.So that means that until the letter is written and the response from the Bishop is in the mail the defecting person is still Catholic?
Please forgive me for interjecting here, I am just wondering.
That is quite interesting… I heard about this and wrote my letter nearly a month ago, no response yet. That would classify me as much as a Catholic as said person in the wedding? (Just curious.)
In Him,
Janet
I actually don’t know the Pastor here. I moved here in May and became inactive way before that. There might be a problem because I was baptized in a different country (Germany that is).That would be correct. Have you checked with your pastor lately? IT’s possible your Bishop has contacted him, but with the holidays he has been busy.
As far as I know I can still defect. The problems attached to this MP (which will not be valid until Feb 15) are only concerning a marriage.The Canon Law on this changed. There is no more such thing as Formal Defection - or will not be once the MP goes into effect.
Read more about it here:
jimmyakin.org/2009/12/once-a-catholic-.html
It’s easier to renounce your U.S. citizenship than it is to leave the church.The Canon Law on this changed. There is no more such thing as Formal Defection - or will not be once the MP goes into effect.
Read more about it here:
jimmyakin.org/2009/12/once-a-catholic-.html
Should be!It’s easier to renounce your U.S. citizenship than it is to leave the church.![]()
I never said I was proud of any of it, nor did I say I was ashamed. I was trying to point out that simply inviting your best friends to be a part of your nuptials, and other seemingly small issue can lead to all sorts of complications —*complications that can be overcome (20 years of marriage — and if I didn’t respect her faith I would have never married her.) If I didn’t respect the Catholic faith, 90-plus percent of my friends today wouldn’t be Catholic, If I had no respect for the Catholic faith, I wouldn’t donate hours of my time to the local Catholic Church, and if I had no respect for the Catholic Faith I surely wouldn’t attend mass on a regular basis, teach in Catholic schools, help coach CYO teams, or assist with fund raisers.Coming to a Catholic board to brag about how many times you broke the laws of the Church during your wedding does not seem to be a very Christian thing to do.
Out of respect for your hosts, who let you post here free of charge, you could at least pretend to respect our Faith.
The problem of this thread is not of catholics attending or standing up for a protestant wedding. It is a catholic supporting a “catholic” disobeying the church teachings. That’s a big moral problem. We as Catholics should be doing what we can to help our friends follow the church teaching on faith and morals not abandon it. For some of those people there was a grave situation and certainly for your wife. But you know this already.Interesting…
We had Catholics and non-Catholics read at our wedding. I didn’t know this was an issue!
Then again, I also had Catholics, non-Catholics, atheists and agnostics in the wedding party…![]()
Hmmmm, I guess this is true, as is relates to the OP. In my mind, after 10 years it seems like he has already made up his mind (at this point I wouldn’t consider him Catholic?), but I can see others may see that differently.The problem of this thread is not of catholics attending or standing up for a protestant wedding. It is a catholic supporting a “catholic” disobeying the church teachings. That’s a big moral problem. We as Catholics should be doing what we can to help our friends follow the church teaching on faith and morals not abandon it. For some of those people there was a grave situation and certainly for your wife. But you know this already.
Your proper pastor is the pastor of the parish church nearest to where you live. He is your pastor and you should be speaking with him about the matter.I actually don’t know the Pastor here. I moved here in May and became inactive way before that. There might be a problem because I was baptized in a different country (Germany that is).
I read this when it came out from Rome. It basically says that someone who does formally leave the Catholic Church is still however bound to the Marriage laws.The Canon Law on this changed. There is no more such thing as Formal Defection - or will not be once the MP goes into effect.
Read more about it here:
jimmyakin.org/2009/12/once-a-catholic-.html
That would make sense because one has eternal consequences the other does not.It’s easier to renounce your U.S. citizenship than it is to leave the church.![]()
This document would explain the clarification issued in 2006 which will soon be superceeded.So what were the “rules” for leaving the Church before? My bil left the Church, along w/ his whole family, back in the late 70s/early 80s when his parents divorced and his mom remarried w/out an annulment. She later received an anullment and returned to the Church, but none of her kids (all basically grown by then) returned. He and my SIL were married in a S. Baptist church (where she was raised), in 1985, and now attend a Vinyard Christian Fellowship church. I’m wondering if their marriage is valid (or any of his siblings for that matter, one who’s a Vinyard pastor and another who’s married to a protestant-of-some-sort pastor)? All were married in the mid to late 80s.
In Christ,
Ellen