My son, a baptized non-practicing Catholic and his legal wife, also a baptized non-practicing Catholic, a year after they were married in a civil ceremony, an elopement, decided to have a large "wedding " and another civil type ceremony and reception. My son was well aware of the Catholic Church’s position, that neither was permissible, and that his family would not attend. Of course I received a long letter from his wife, basically on how hurtful I was being. My answer was my son knew what my reaction would be and by doing it anyway, accepted the consequences. I spoke with two priest whom I trusted to give me the truth and was told by both that not attending was the correct action. We did attend the reception, not to show support of the choice they made but to keep the line of communication open with my son’s wife. That was four years ago. Their divorce was finalized about six months ago. Your friends and family need to know what your faith means to you and what you are willing to sacrifice for what is right. I agonized over my decision for months, I did not make it lightly. My son is still non-practicing, so please pray for his conversion and hers.