A
adawgj
Guest
You definitely can believe in evolution. Especially if you plan on studying science.
The evolution model is important when the science one is studying is about bacteria and germs. The evolution model is useful when the science one is studying is about plants and porcupines.You definitely can believe in evolution. Especially if you plan on studying science.
This is standard for all science textbooks. A chemistry textbook does not provide any “scientific linkage” between the supernatural and the claims of chemistry. You will not find explicit links to the supernatural in a maths textbook either.Very well stated. As it stands, evolution, as presented in science textbooks, provides no scientific linkage between the supernatural and the claims of science.
Correct. So why are you complaining that science textbooks contain nothing about souls or Original Sin?Again, science, by definition, cannot identify a soul or study Original Sin.
If they feel this way, that is their mistake, and I am not going to worry about it. Evolution stands on its own without the support of those people.Because evolutionists (many of them) seem to be seriously threatened by the notion that Intelligent Design sabotages evolution.
Why would a Catholic want to oppose Intelligent Design? And if they did oppose Intelligent Design, and they thought Intelligent Design was a way around evolution, then they oppose a way around evolution, which doesn’t make sense.Some Catholics take sides with the evolutionists against Intelligent Design, as if they too thought Intellgent Design was a way around evolution.
No one in this thread is claiming that evolution is the final explanation for life. So I don’t know who you are arguing against.But if there is any evidence that evolution is not the final explanation for life, it is abiogenesis. And abiogenesis is not evolution.
Adam and Eve.Yes, I’d like to ask you the same question.
Do you think there were not two first human beings who committed the first sin?
Is it your view that whatever your view is, it is supported by science?
I doubt it. You know nothing about the first human parents. You were not there.
I don’t need science to support my belief in Adam and Eve. I have divine revelation, as handed down through the Church, for that. Why are you so desperate to get scientific confirmation of the truths of our faith? Can’t you just believe what has been revealed?All scientific conjecture about Adam and Eve is smoke and mirrors.
That was how I always understood evolution. I’m not sure what the “ladder” concept is, so I assume that was introduced prior to my learning about it.I will try to rephrase the current evolution population foundation.
Scientists are no longer using the “ladder” concept of evolution.
It has been replaced by the cladistics system. A cladogram depicts how evolution currently works. When learning human evolution, today’s students learn just where the Homo (human)/Pan(chimp) population exists on the evolution cladogram. This population is evolutionary known as the most recent common ancestor to both the eventual chimpanzee population and the eventual human population, not to two founders of humankind. This means that both chimps and humans came from a large population that was neither chimpanzee nor human.
Source of information. evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/_0_0/evo_07
I think you might be overstepping here. Evolution teaches that all human anatomies are in the same species, genetically similar and are perhaps biologically equivalent (or roughly so), but that’s a leap from what Catholicism teaches about Original Sin. It sounds like you’re comparing apples and oranges. Remember, evolution is only concerned with the biological science, not the philosophical debate as the state of man’s relationship with God. So although you may hear overarching terms like “equality” in evolutionary science, it’s important to recognize that it’s within a biological context.Current evolution education emphasizes that the common ancestor homo/pan population split over time into two separate populations which, through genetic changes, formed new distinct populations which in turn, over time, developed other distinct populations until there was a population of modern human anatomies and a population of our evolutionary cousins, chimpanzees.
Even if Adam and Eve were a part of the population of modern human anatomies, current evolution theory teaches that all the modern human anatomies are equally human as Adam and Eve. Catholicism does not teach that all the equally modern human anatomies committed the one Original Sin. I believe that the principle of non-contradiction is involved.
There may be a fair number of biologists who reject the possibility of Adam and Eve, but that doesn’t mean one can’t suggest that evolution was how God created Adam and Eve. Saying “I think biological evolution provides a good scientific explanation for how man was created” doesn’t contradict the possibility of Adam and Eve. It also doesn’t automatically subscribe oneself to the rest of the theories that other scientists may hold.Scientifically, the possibility of Adam and Eve does exist. But, the actual, current evolutionary theory does not accept that possibility. That public non-acceptance of an unique population of two humans (1995 research paper) is the simple reason that the current evolution theory intersects with the Catholic doctrines of human nature and subsequently contradicts them.
But is that really the realm of science? I feel like science has no place determining the spiritual value of man. God forbid the day comes when science feels it can speak with authority on the spiritual!Practically speaking, the current evolution population theory makes one wonder which modern human anatomies are eligible for eternal joy. Catholicism confirms the unity of all humanity because all descended from two real fully-complete human founders who are specifically in the image of God.The evolutionary theory only confirms the existence of decomposing human anatomies which would have similar children but no chance at eternal joy – because they are in the “image” of the material, not spiritual, common homo/pan ancestor population which split.
Take all your time. I am still :snowing:Hi grannymh,
Sorry I’m not a regular contributor to this particular thread, but I appreciate your responses and your patience in waiting for my replies!
That was how I always understood evolution. I’m not sure what the “ladder” concept is, so I assume that was introduced prior to my learning about it.
I think you might be overstepping here. Evolution teaches that all human anatomies are in the same species, genetically similar and are perhaps biologically equivalent (or roughly so), but that’s a leap from what Catholicism teaches about Original Sin. It sounds like you’re comparing apples and oranges. Remember, evolution is only concerned with the biological science, not the philosophical debate as the state of man’s relationship with God. So although you may hear overarching terms like “equality” in evolutionary science, it’s important to recognize that it’s within a biological context.
There may be a fair number of biologists who reject the possibility of Adam and Eve, but that doesn’t mean one can’t suggest that evolution was how God created Adam and Eve. Saying “I think biological evolution provides a good scientific explanation for how man was created” doesn’t contradict the possibility of Adam and Eve. It also doesn’t automatically subscribe oneself to the rest of the theories that other scientists may hold.
But is that really the realm of science? I feel like science has no place determining the spiritual value of man. God forbid the day comes when science feels it can speak with authority on the spiritual!I think they’re much more simply focusing on the biological science that they can answer. Therefore, one must accept the limitations of what science can teach us, and appreciate it for what it is.
In short, science is science. It’s man’s best guess at the “how” of the world around us. It in no way is meant to be taken at Gospel Truth. No one should allow it to replace their religious beliefs or override them.
Let’s stop trading barbs. We are not at all on the same wave length. Good bye.Adam and Eve.
I don’t need science to support my belief in Adam and Eve. I have divine revelation, as handed down through the Church, for that. Why are you so desperate to get scientific confirmation of the truths of our faith? Can’t you just believe what has been revealed?
Since you read natural science literature …This is standard for all science textbooks. A chemistry textbook does not provide any “scientific linkage” between the supernatural and the claims of chemistry. You will not find explicit links to the supernatural in a maths textbook either.
Textbooks cover their subject. A biology textbook does not contain lists of French irregular verbs either. The Bible does not contain a history of the American Revolution. Books, including textbooks, generally stick to their subjects.
Correct. So why are you complaining that science textbooks contain nothing about souls or Original Sin?
rossum
Why?You definitely can believe in evolution. Especially if you plan on studying science.
Regarding your last question, I never made that complaint in this thread. I am simply pointing out that any attempt to link the soul with human beings is beyond the boundary set by science.This is standard for all science textbooks. A chemistry textbook does not provide any “scientific linkage” between the supernatural and the claims of chemistry. You will not find explicit links to the supernatural in a maths textbook either.
Textbooks cover their subject. A biology textbook does not contain lists of French irregular verbs either. The Bible does not contain a history of the American Revolution. Books, including textbooks, generally stick to their subjects.
Correct. So why are you complaining that science textbooks contain nothing about souls or Original Sin?
rossum
I agree, science has boundaries, and the spiritual is beyond those boundaries. I asked the question because, earlier in the post I was responding to, you said:Regarding your last question, I never made that complaint in this thread. I am simply pointing out that any attempt to link the soul with human beings is beyond the boundary set by science.
Why are you criticising science textbooks for not presenting something that you and I both agree is beyond the boundaries of science? Any textbook should only present material relevant to its subject. Theology textbooks do not contain the detailed equations of fluid mechanics and science textbooks do not discuss the exact relationship between Vishnu and Krishna.As it stands, evolution, as presented in science textbooks, provides no scientific linkage between the supernatural and the claims of science.
Intelligent Design is within the boundaries of science. Every scientists is likely at some point or another to conduct an intelligently designed experience, and so ought to be able to recognize intelligent design in abiogenesis, for example.Why are you criticising science textbooks for not presenting something that you and I both agree is beyond the boundaries of science? Any textbook should only present material relevant to its subject. Theology textbooks do not contain the detailed equations of fluid mechanics and science textbooks do not discuss the exact relationship between Vishnu and Krishna.
I am at a loss to understand why you are criticising science for staying within its boundaries.
rossum
Yes, I have found too many Catholics eager to jump on the atheistic brand of evolutionism by refusing to acknowledge Intelligent Design of life. It’s as if they are so intimidated by the atheistic establishment in the scientific community that they are willing to collaborate with the idea that not only was life not intelligently designed, but the universe itself has no intelligent design. They think all is ultimately an epistimological and meaningless black hole.What I am getting at is that evolutionists should not limit their interests to a natural science enclosure. Too often, I see some, not all, Catholics choosing the authority of the material realm as the highest and only authority about human origin and nature. That is the serious temptation that Catholic evolutionists face.
Catholic evolutionists need to recognize the spiritual along with the material. And when there is a conflict, Divine Revelation trumps.
The test tube of purines was the result of an intelligently deigned chain of events, concocted by an intelligent experimenter, thus it IS evidence of a “designer making purines” rather than evidence that purines can simply “come about.”Where is your evidence of the designer making purines? Abiogenesis can make purines. Where is your evidence of the designer making pyrimidines? Abiogenesis can make pyrimidines.
…Abiogenesis can provide you with a test-tube of purines. Where is a test-tube of purines from ID?
rossum
Correct. Both Forensic Science and Archaeology, among others, look for the presence or absence of intelligent design.Intelligent Design is within the boundaries of science. Every scientists is likely at some point or another to conduct an intelligently designed experience
Not until the limits on what the proposed designer can do are known. If an Archaeologist finds an iron sword, then she knows that this dig is looking at an Iron Age site, not a Bronze Age or a Stone Age site. Only Iron Age designers had the capability of making an iron sword. Stone Age designers did not have that capability.and so ought to be able to recognize intelligent design in abiogenesis, for example.
So, if I make a model of God, then we can decide that because my model was designed then God must also be designed? Luckily for you, given my lack of model making skills, we have other models of God:The test tube of purines was the result of an intelligently deigned chain of events, concocted by an intelligent experimenter, thus it IS evidence of a “designer making purines” rather than evidence that purines can simply “come about.”
Richard? Is that you?So, if I make a model of God, then we can decide that because my model was designed then God must also be designed? Luckily for you, given my lack of model making skills, we have other models of God:
http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/09/12/God-medtopper2.jpg
By your argument, God was also designed by your proposed designer.
rossum
Well, no. The issue of sufficiency needs to be raised, here. We only need to continue the ad nauseam argument until we arrive at a sufficient explanation. So, while you are correct that the explanation for abiogenesis only requires the explanation to be sufficient to explain abiogenesis (and random chance doesn’t) there is no need to continue the cycle of “who designed the designer” beyond the point where we arrive at a designer that sufficiently explains the cycle itself, which need not go on ad infinitum (or ad nauseam - pick your poison.)So, if I make a model of God, then we can decide that because my model was designed then God must also be designed? Luckily for you, given my lack of model making skills, we have other models of God:
By your argument, God was also designed by your proposed designer.
rossum
On what basis can anyone here, especially non-Catholics, invent a linkage between evolution and the soul or Original Sin? It is speculative fiction from a secular standpoint but it is an ongoing narrative here.I agree, science has boundaries, and the spiritual is beyond those boundaries. I asked the question because, earlier in the post I was responding to, you said:
Why are you criticising science textbooks for not presenting something that you and I both agree is beyond the boundaries of science? Any textbook should only present material relevant to its subject. Theology textbooks do not contain the detailed equations of fluid mechanics and science textbooks do not discuss the exact relationship between Vishnu and Krishna.
I am at a loss to understand why you are criticising science for staying within its boundaries.
rossum