Of course not. But you have presented a very distorted view of what rossum said. He did not say there was any Catholic approval of any form of evolution, nor has anyone else in this thread said that. They merely said that the Nelka was wrong in saying “Evolution is completely at odds with the Catholic faith.” And rossum is entirely correct. Evolution is not at odds with the Catholic faith. The Church takes no position, one way or the other, on that scientific question. The Church leaves it up to the faithful to decide this question for themselves. That is what the recent Popes have said. And that is all that anyone is saying.
May I gently point out that post 51 was a general posting as one can tell since it did not have a quote from anyone. Now I would like to respectfully reply to your comments
“Evolution is not at odds with the Catholic faith.
The Church takes no position, one way or the other, on that scientific question.”
The above comment is not a new position. I would date it to the 1940-50’s, maybe earlier.
In post 33, Rossum presented section 36 from a 1950 document. I would suggest that everyone study it because it is not often quoted on CAF. While people are on the link, I suggest reading section 35. In that way, people are prepared for section 37 which has been on CAF so often that I have some of it memorized.
Link to Humani Generis, Pius XII, 1950
vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_12081950_humani-generis_en.html
This is the beginning of post 35 which is my reply to Rossum whom I have known for a long time and whom I sincerely respect.
"This is true today. “Research and discussions on the part of men experienced in both fields” are still taking place.
Thank you.
The trouble with today’s “theistic evolution” is that some, not all, Catholics, from what I read on CAF, are stuck in the 1940-50’s and have not caught up with the current variety of evolution theories."
Today, as I look at
Humani Generis, what is really fascinating is that in 1950, Pius XII saw a major contradiction between “evolution” and fundamental Catholic doctrines, which eventually exploded in the scientific world of 1995.
Considering what Blessed John Paul II said in 1996 regarding the intersection (contradiction) of natural science and specific Catholic doctrines, apparently, Catholics had continued to study where the “evolution” theory was headed.
Currently, the scientific world offers a material outlook on the whole human person, both body and soul. That old saying that science cannot study the spiritual soul worked in the distant past – this is where people need to catch up with the current evolution model. Today, there is the “evolutionary” theory of the emergence or epiphenomenon of the “material soul” which directly opposes the Catholic doctrines on human nature, decomposing anatomy and immortal spiritual soul. This evolution theory ties any kind of a spiritual-type experience to our physical anatomy. This material explanation directly opposes the Catholic doctrine of soul as being created by God at conception.
Years back, there was a brief discussion on CAF about research locating the spiritual soul’s volition in various sections of the brain as evinced during awake brain surgery. Because of access to the materials and methods section of this research, it was easily seen that the huge benefit of brain mapping could not simulate free will. Needless to say, research on the material brain continues to search for a material soul.
In 1996, Blessed John Paul II addressed the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. As scientists, this audience knew exactly what the Pope was referring to; while we may not have known. However, I believe that the Pope was clear enough when he said:
“Pius XII stressed this essential point: If the human body take its origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is immediately created by God (“animas enim a Deo immediate creari catholica fides nos retinere iubei”;
“Humani Generis,” 36). Consequently, theories of evolution which, in accordance with the philosophies inspiring them, consider the
spirit as emerging from the forces of living matter or as a mere
epiphenomenon of this matter, are incompatible with the truth about man. Nor are they able to ground the dignity of the person.”
Link to address.
newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm