Best Catholic apologist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter charlesbarkley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
šŸ™‚ I can’t believe that I get to bring up his name. I’m not worthy really, but he says I am. This is of all times, right?

Jesus the Christ.
 
St. Paul. Hands down. Well maybe James, because even Peter is confused by Paul. Peter is good too. Actually I’d take any of the apostles.
 
It seems that most of what I have read or heard by the apologists mentioned on the voting list–I haven’t read all of them–are good at making a case for Catholcism for evangelicals. But what about more apologist like Peter Kreeft, or many of the dozens of apologist from the evangelical community(eg Lee Strobel,NT Wright, William Lane Craig, JP Moreland, etc) that make a case for Christianity? How come Catholics do not seem to make the case for Christianity–or are they out there and they just don’t show up on this list, and I am unaware of them?
Keith
 
It seems that most of what I have read or heard by the apologists mentioned on the voting list–I haven’t read all of them–are good at making a case for Catholcism for evangelicals. But what about more apologist like Peter Kreeft, or many of the dozens of apologist from the evangelical community(eg Lee Strobel,NT Wright, William Lane Craig, JP Moreland, etc) that make a case for Christianity? How come Catholics do not seem to make the case for Christianity–or are they out there and they just don’t show up on this list, and I am unaware of them?
Keith
The poll was on best CATHOLIC APOLOGIST.

The list is very limited though. Might want to add St. Thomas Aquinas in the list. He not only defend the questions, but added questions and defended them too.
 
The poll was on best CATHOLIC APOLOGIST.

.
That was part of my point. It doens’t seem to me that there are apologist that are trying to bring nonchristians into the church. Their apologetics ministry (the one listed on the opeing list)is to convert evangelicals primarily. I want to know where the apologist are who do for Catholics what those people do for mainstream evangelical Christians. Scott Hahn is great at speaking to evangelicals, but why are there not more Catholics like Lee Strobel etc trying to bring nonchristians into the Church–or do I just not know any of them who do a good job other than Peter Kreeft, and some great dead apologists (Chesterton, Aquinas)? Perhaps I should create a different thread. I’m not trying to change the dirertion of this one.
Keith
 
Fr. Mitch Pacwa does a good job as an apologist for non-Christians. There are some good apologists for Jewish believers also. Fr. George Rutler is very good against secularism and atheism. Fr. Brian Harrison is excellent apologist on the Church’s moral teaching. Paul Vitz has a good apologetical book against atheism.

As for older apologists - Fr. Ronald Knox, Fr. Vincent Micelli, Frank Sheed, Karl Adam, John Stoddard, Abp. Sheehan are a few more.
 
Fr. Mitch Pacwa does a good job as an apologist for non-Christians. There are some good apologists for Jewish believers also. Fr. George Rutler is very good against secularism and atheism. Fr. Brian Harrison is excellent apologist on the Church’s moral teaching. Paul Vitz has a good apologetical book against atheism.

As for older apologists - Fr. Ronald Knox, Fr. Vincent Micelli, Frank Sheed, Karl Adam, John Stoddard, Abp. Sheehan are a few more.
Thank you!! I will try and get a hold of some of their works. I’ve heard an old tape of Fr. Pacwa where he was debating the then Bible Answer man Walter Martin. I wasn’t aware that he did apologetics for non-Christians. Again, thanks, I think these should be, if they are any good, better publicized on the forums. Just my personal opinion.

Keith
 
Of those in the list…I will go for Scott Hahn. But all of these men are warriors of God. These are all great men… we should thank God for all of them.
 
St. Paul. Hands down. Well maybe James, because even Peter is confused by Paul. Peter is good too. Actually I’d take any of the apostles.
Peter was a fisherman…Paul was a Pharisee. Now you know why Paul is more knowledgeable of the law.

But you …yourself should not be confused too… Peter is the first Pope, it was on Peter that Christ Himself founded the Church, it is Peter whom God has given the keys of the kingdom to.

Paul looks up to Peter for answers regarding controversies to the faith. You might wanna read the Acts of the Apostles where they held the first church council on the issue of cicumcizing gentiles. It was Peter’s final decision which settled the issue.
 
Thank you!! I will try and get a hold of some of their works. I’ve heard an old tape of Fr. Pacwa where he was debating the then Bible Answer man Walter Martin. I wasn’t aware that he did apologetics for non-Christians. Again, thanks, I think these should be, if they are any good, better publicized on the forums. Just my personal opinion.

Keith
Yes, I agree that they should get more publicity.
One thing about Fr. Pacwa though is that much of his apologetics are done on the radio or audio tapes and debates so it’s hard to find them.
 
That was part of my point. It doens’t seem to me that there are apologist that are trying to bring nonchristians into the church. Their apologetics ministry (the one listed on the opeing list)is to convert evangelicals primarily. I want to know where the apologist are who do for Catholics what those people do for mainstream evangelical Christians. Scott Hahn is great at speaking to evangelicals, but why are there not more Catholics like Lee Strobel etc trying to bring nonchristians into the Church–or do I just not know any of them who do a good job other than Peter Kreeft, and some great dead apologists (Chesterton, Aquinas)? Perhaps I should create a different thread. I’m not trying to change the dirertion of this one.
Keith
We have a significant number of people who have Holy Orders to do this. The missionary work of Catholic priest, nuns, and monks has proven far more effective over a far longer period of time than that of the ā€œevangelicalā€ communities.

Since the thread implies lay apologists, I think many of us presumed that Jesuits and the like were excluded. Just because they are excluded by definition does not mean they do not exist in the Catholic Church, nor that their efforts are inadequate. We did not get to 1.3 billion Catholics by accident.
 
Peter was a fisherman…Paul was a Pharisee. Now you know why Paul is more knowledgeable of the law.

But you …yourself should not be confused too… Peter is the first Pope, it was on Peter that Christ Himself founded the Church, it is Peter whom God has given the keys of the kingdom to.

Paul looks up to Peter for answers regarding controversies to the faith. You might wanna read the Acts of the Apostles where they held the first church council on the issue of cicumcizing gentiles. It was Peter’s final decision which settled the issue.
St Peter’s resurrection of the dead as recorded in Acts was a highly effective apologetic argument, don’t you think?
 
Vote for who you thik the best Catholic apologist is?

Jimmy Akin

Bob Sungenis

Karl Keating

Patrick Madrid

Scott Hahn

Tim Staples

John Salza
John Martignoni, Steven Ray, . . . . . .

How blessed the Church is to have so many Authentic Catholic Apologists.
 
St Peter’s resurrection of the dead as recorded in Acts was a highly effective apologetic argument, don’t you think?
It may. But then again…let’s define Apologetics. It came from the greek word ā€œApologiaā€ā€¦meaning ā€œto make defense ofā€ or ā€œto make a case ofā€.

Peter ressurecting someone from the grave is a grace given by God to the Apostles to aid them in spreading the gospel, so that people may believe the works that they have done is from whom they got their mission from is truly the Christ Jesus, whom they are preaching of.

What I am really driving at is… though Paul maybe more knowledgeable of the LAW and more scholarly, he is still under the authority of Peter. Paul may have written 60% of the New Testament…but numbers doesn’t really count here. For Jesus never wrote anything that was recorded in scriptures except the ones he wrote on the sand when they were persecuting an adulteress woman.

One more thing, Paul always called Peter as ā€œPeterā€ā€¦the name given by Christ Himself. A change in name is an office being placed on your shoulders. It’s like calling him Pope, which signifies his office and authority. Peter=Rock. And the apostles follow suit.
 
I think it’s important to keep in mind that ā€œApologeticsā€ is not the same thing as ā€œEvangelism.ā€

An Apologist is someone who is putting out correct information about the teachings of the Church, etc., to correct misunderstandings.

An Evangelist is someone who is actively trying to encourage people to become Catholic, or to be better Catholics than they were before.

So, the best Apologist wouldn’t necessarily be the one who makes the most converts, but rather, the one who is best at getting correct information about the Church out to where people can access it easily.
 
Fr. Mitch Pacwa does a good job as an apologist for non-Christians. There are some good apologists for Jewish believers also. Fr. George Rutler is very good against secularism and atheism. Fr. Brian Harrison is excellent apologist on the Church’s moral teaching. Paul Vitz has a good apologetical book against atheism.

As for older apologists - Fr. Ronald Knox, Fr. Vincent Micelli, Frank Sheed, Karl Adam, John Stoddard, Abp. Sheehan are a few more.
I am always impressed of Fr. Pacwa’s knowledge of mid-eastern languages and culture. He can explain why a certain term was used, like ā€˜kepha’ for ā€˜rock’, and the cultural context behind it.

Scott Hahn was the first Catholic apologist I became aware of (perhaps 20 yrs ago). I have seen him in person, and his sincerity, charity, and sheer knowledge of scripture and Christianity (and by that I mean Catholicism, of course) is indeed impressive!

I do enjoy all the hosts on Open Line ewtn radio as well.

I could not vote for a ā€œbestā€. They are all blessed with special graces and gifts, and each probably reaches a somewhat different population. Thank God for them all!!

Mimi
amateur beginning apologist
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top