S
Sean_Boyle
Guest
Jesus the Christ.
The poll was on best CATHOLIC APOLOGIST.It seems that most of what I have read or heard by the apologists mentioned on the voting listāI havenāt read all of themāare good at making a case for Catholcism for evangelicals. But what about more apologist like Peter Kreeft, or many of the dozens of apologist from the evangelical community(eg Lee Strobel,NT Wright, William Lane Craig, JP Moreland, etc) that make a case for Christianity? How come Catholics do not seem to make the case for Christianityāor are they out there and they just donāt show up on this list, and I am unaware of them?
Keith
My thought, as well. Didnāt he invent the art of Catholic Apologetics?where is Justin Martyr when you need him?
That was part of my point. It doensāt seem to me that there are apologist that are trying to bring nonchristians into the church. Their apologetics ministry (the one listed on the opeing list)is to convert evangelicals primarily. I want to know where the apologist are who do for Catholics what those people do for mainstream evangelical Christians. Scott Hahn is great at speaking to evangelicals, but why are there not more Catholics like Lee Strobel etc trying to bring nonchristians into the Churchāor do I just not know any of them who do a good job other than Peter Kreeft, and some great dead apologists (Chesterton, Aquinas)? Perhaps I should create a different thread. Iām not trying to change the dirertion of this one.The poll was on best CATHOLIC APOLOGIST.
.
Thank you!! I will try and get a hold of some of their works. Iāve heard an old tape of Fr. Pacwa where he was debating the then Bible Answer man Walter Martin. I wasnāt aware that he did apologetics for non-Christians. Again, thanks, I think these should be, if they are any good, better publicized on the forums. Just my personal opinion.Fr. Mitch Pacwa does a good job as an apologist for non-Christians. There are some good apologists for Jewish believers also. Fr. George Rutler is very good against secularism and atheism. Fr. Brian Harrison is excellent apologist on the Churchās moral teaching. Paul Vitz has a good apologetical book against atheism.
As for older apologists - Fr. Ronald Knox, Fr. Vincent Micelli, Frank Sheed, Karl Adam, John Stoddard, Abp. Sheehan are a few more.
Peter was a fishermanā¦Paul was a Pharisee. Now you know why Paul is more knowledgeable of the law.St. Paul. Hands down. Well maybe James, because even Peter is confused by Paul. Peter is good too. Actually Iād take any of the apostles.
Yes, I agree that they should get more publicity.Thank you!! I will try and get a hold of some of their works. Iāve heard an old tape of Fr. Pacwa where he was debating the then Bible Answer man Walter Martin. I wasnāt aware that he did apologetics for non-Christians. Again, thanks, I think these should be, if they are any good, better publicized on the forums. Just my personal opinion.
Keith
We have a significant number of people who have Holy Orders to do this. The missionary work of Catholic priest, nuns, and monks has proven far more effective over a far longer period of time than that of the āevangelicalā communities.That was part of my point. It doensāt seem to me that there are apologist that are trying to bring nonchristians into the church. Their apologetics ministry (the one listed on the opeing list)is to convert evangelicals primarily. I want to know where the apologist are who do for Catholics what those people do for mainstream evangelical Christians. Scott Hahn is great at speaking to evangelicals, but why are there not more Catholics like Lee Strobel etc trying to bring nonchristians into the Churchāor do I just not know any of them who do a good job other than Peter Kreeft, and some great dead apologists (Chesterton, Aquinas)? Perhaps I should create a different thread. Iām not trying to change the dirertion of this one.
Keith
St Peterās resurrection of the dead as recorded in Acts was a highly effective apologetic argument, donāt you think?Peter was a fishermanā¦Paul was a Pharisee. Now you know why Paul is more knowledgeable of the law.
But you ā¦yourself should not be confused too⦠Peter is the first Pope, it was on Peter that Christ Himself founded the Church, it is Peter whom God has given the keys of the kingdom to.
Paul looks up to Peter for answers regarding controversies to the faith. You might wanna read the Acts of the Apostles where they held the first church council on the issue of cicumcizing gentiles. It was Peterās final decision which settled the issue.
John Martignoni, Steven Ray, . . . . . .Vote for who you thik the best Catholic apologist is?
Jimmy Akin
Bob Sungenis
Karl Keating
Patrick Madrid
Scott Hahn
Tim Staples
John Salza
It may. But then againā¦letās define Apologetics. It came from the greek word āApologiaāā¦meaning āto make defense ofā or āto make a case ofā.St Peterās resurrection of the dead as recorded in Acts was a highly effective apologetic argument, donāt you think?
I am always impressed of Fr. Pacwaās knowledge of mid-eastern languages and culture. He can explain why a certain term was used, like ākephaā for ārockā, and the cultural context behind it.Fr. Mitch Pacwa does a good job as an apologist for non-Christians. There are some good apologists for Jewish believers also. Fr. George Rutler is very good against secularism and atheism. Fr. Brian Harrison is excellent apologist on the Churchās moral teaching. Paul Vitz has a good apologetical book against atheism.
As for older apologists - Fr. Ronald Knox, Fr. Vincent Micelli, Frank Sheed, Karl Adam, John Stoddard, Abp. Sheehan are a few more.
Vote for who you thik the best Catholic apologist is?
Jimmy Akin
Bob Sungenis
Karl Keating
Patrick Madrid
Scott Hahn
Tim Staples
John Salza