Best Catholic apologist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter charlesbarkley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a significant number of people who have Holy Orders to do this. The missionary work of Catholic priest, nuns, and monks has proven far more effective over a far longer period of time than that of the “evangelical” communities.

Since the thread implies lay apologists, I think many of us presumed that Jesuits and the like were excluded. Just because they are excluded by definition does not mean they do not exist in the Catholic Church, nor that their efforts are inadequate. We did not get to 1.3 billion Catholics by accident.
I appreciate your POV. My exposure to apologetics has been essentially Catholic Answers, Scott Hahn and most of those listed in the poll from the Catholic side. I have seen many more evangelical protestants and organizations working multiple fronts. I do not want to discount the missionary work of those in Holy Orders. Perhaps most Catholics today are Catholic because of their efforts-- both intellectual and their labors of love. I, personally, was interested in Catholics that address for the unbelieving community issues such as atheism, immorality, arguments supporting the resurrection of Jesus, and even how faith and science might fit together or not (sometimes done very poorly by evangelicals )…I see a lot of that from various evangelicals, but not much from Catholics. Radio evangelism has been going on for several decades in the evangelical communities, to attempt to strengthen the believers and convert the non believers, but only recently do I notice that Catholics are trying to make their way into this area. When I pull up debates against atheists, I likely find the protestant William Lane Craig debating an atheist even on Catholic sites. Maybe since I came from the evangelical side of the fence to begin with I am more familiar with them. Again, people like Scott Hahn can be very effective, as can Catholic Answers. I was looking (and maybe have found a few others) like Peter Kreeft. I wish in no way to diminish the great work of those who labor in Holy Orders. I have not met any personally or read their works—at least not yet.
Respectfully,
Keith
 
I appreciate your POV. My exposure to apologetics has been essentially Catholic Answers, Scott Hahn and most of those listed in the poll from the Catholic side. I have seen many more evangelical protestants and organizations working multiple fronts. I do not want to discount the missionary work of those in Holy Orders. Perhaps most Catholics today are Catholic because of their efforts-- both intellectual and their labors of love. I, personally, was interested in Catholics that address for the unbelieving community issues such as atheism, immorality, arguments supporting the resurrection of Jesus, and even how faith and science might fit together or not (sometimes done very poorly by evangelicals )…I see a lot of that from various evangelicals, but not much from Catholics. Radio evangelism has been going on for several decades in the evangelical communities, to attempt to strengthen the believers and convert the non believers, but only recently do I notice that Catholics are trying to make their way into this area. When I pull up debates against atheists, I likely find the protestant William Lane Craig debating an atheist even on Catholic sites. Maybe since I came from the evangelical side of the fence to begin with I am more familiar with them. Again, people like Scott Hahn can be very effective, as can Catholic Answers. I was looking (and maybe have found a few others) like Peter Kreeft. I wish in no way to diminish the great work of those who labor in Holy Orders. I have not met any personally or read their works—at least not yet.
Respectfully,
Keith
We can always do more, surely, but we should recognize especially those religious who have devoted their lives to this end.

The Catholic Church emphasizes the sacraments and service moreso than argument and debate. We learned our lesson to some degree from the Reformation, since poor catechesis was the root of it, and caught up quickly thanks to the Jesuits in particular driving the Counter-Reformation.

We are certainly not as good as evangelicals at plucking away Protestants to be Catholics (as we see around here, Catholics for some reason are a big “get” for evangelicals). We have a better track record I think with the nonreligious simply because they’re likelier to encounter the Church through the various charitable enterprises.

I think you’re right that apologetics ought to address the concerns of all non-Catholics, not simply Protestants. This is probably an American phenomenon since Protestants are far more common than atheists here.

Since Pope Benedict XVI has identified secularism as our biggest threat, we’d do well to consider the need to speak the truth boldly to the materialists among us. This includes many of our cultural, political, and economic leaders.
 
What? No John Martignoni on the list? He’s my favourite apologist. He uses simple English, which I very much appreciate. His apologetics are also free, which I also appreciate. Its hard to learn good apologetics if you don’t have cash, so it helps to find them online and for free.

The way things are going, I may end up being an apologist myself. It seems God wants to keep me busy despite my search for a convent to enter. I never could discipline my own idleness. 😃
 
They are all very good. Get them all together and build one super Catholic Apologist. My favorite Robert Sungenis. Gerry Mata tics for awhile but not anymore.
 
I voted for Sungenis, I believe he is the most talented, too bad he is alienating himself from Catholics and from the gift that God gave him.
Madrid was a close second. Art Sippo’s debate with Mr. White was really good, too bad he couldn’t do it a bit more.
 
I’ll throw in the name of a local favorite here in Minnesota. Jeff Cavins. Very easy to listen to and really on fire for the Lord. I also like Madrid, heard him speak once and He’s very humble. Aquinas is really good and Kreeft. All a real blessing to us every day working trying to bring Jesus to the world guys!
 
My family and I benefitted greatly from John Martignoni’s apologetics cd’s.
Hooyah! to John Martignoni.
His Biblechristiansociety website has some excellent scripturally based apologetics that our protestant brothers and sisters simply cannot defend logically.

Many free MP3 downloads.

His is one of the few internet based Catholic groups that I have donated money to.
 
I voted for Sungenis, I believe he is the most talented, too bad he is alienating himself from Catholics and from the gift that God gave him.
Yes, I wondered about that also. Do you mean regarding some of his theology regarding Judiasm and that sort of thing?
 
I voted for Sungenis, I believe he is the most talented, too bad he is alienating himself from Catholics and from the gift that God gave him.
Madrid was a close second. Art Sippo’s debate with Mr. White was really good, too bad he couldn’t do it a bit more.
How is Sungenis alienating himself from Catholics?
 
At the risk of being told that I have once again worshipped Mary - I will say that Mary - Queen of the Universe and Mother of Our Lord did a mighty fine job of “showing us the way”. After her Son, I’ll bet that she is pretty darn proud of Karl Keating and company.

Qui Chang
 
I like all of the above for different reasons! I voted for Scott Hahn because I read more of his stuff and can really relate to the difficult period he had in his marriage right now. Hope for the future. I also like Mark Shea, big thinker, really smart with a good sense of humor. Plus Peter Kreeft. Super smart and funny in a sneaky way. What about Marcus Grodi? He was missing from the list too!! He is doing wonderful work!
 
At the risk of being told that I have once again worshipped Mary - I will say that Mary is Queen of the Universe!!!
Qui Chang
:eek:

Why do you worship Mary?:rolleyes:

I edited your post to show why some might misconstrue your meaning and intention.😛
 
I like all of the above for different reasons! I voted for Scott Hahn because I read more of his stuff and can really relate to the difficult period he had in his marriage right now. Hope for the future.
Scott Hahn is having a difficult period in his marriage right now? Seems very unlikely, it’s possible but Kimberly and Scott prays the rosary everyday, and Mama Mary keeps their family intact together always.
 
How is Sungenis alienating himself from Catholics?
For a while there, at least, he was on the bandwagon of Geocentrism (Earth is the centre of the Universe), and saying that the Pope was wrong to apologize for the treatment of Galileo (who theorized that the earth goes around the sun).

I haven’t heard anything at all, lately, but a few years ago, that was all he could talk about.
 
I will go with Karl Keating because his book Catholicism & fundementalism moved me to apologetics. I like Scott Hann too because of his book Rome sweet home.
 
Scott Hahn is having a difficult period in his marriage right now?
No, no - she can relate to it right now.

Referring to the situation described in Rome Sweet Home, which was a long time ago. 😉
 
Yes, I wondered about that also. Do you mean regarding some of his theology regarding Judiasm and that sort of thing?
I should have left what I said for another thread, I do not wish to derail this one. But yes, Sungenis, in my opinion has the most talent. I believe that he has a real gift from God but many avoid him because he shares views that are controversial to people. He will now have a hard time reaching people that I believe God intended him to reach.
 
Father John Corapi! He gives clear concise:) talks.Ibelieve he is another John the Baptist for our time.
 
Although he is not an apologist in the same sense, Kenneth Miller is the person I most respect when it comes to those who defend the faith.

You also may want to consider adding Peter Kreeft to the list.
Is Peter Kreeft Catholic? A convert? I have enjoyed many articles by him as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top