I’m sure Sungernis can survive without my support, considering I’m obviously not as sharp as he with words, but I’m pretty sure I’m accurate in what I have stated above. “In spite” of the evidence leading him to positions that are against the “current conform” he still sticks to it,
because he has the support of the ECFS and the weight of millenias of Church teaching …which he cites!
For that, I have seen many think him ridiculous or wacko. (I’ve spent some time on his site since finding him through here.)
If I wasn’t clear, I accept fault. Somehow though, I think you needed to ‘twist’ what I said to fit your preconception of Sungenis.
See what I mean?
“…Demonstably false belief”…which one (belief) would that be?
The Catholic Church has
no definitive enlargements on the views of Copernicus, Gallileo etc. in regards “how the heavens go.” They were good Catholics, by the way.
But She has
plenty in regards the geocentric view!..well, at the very least, some of Her most prominent figures have stated the course they accepted.
Am I a geocentric? There is a mountain of ‘evidential theories’ for heliocentricism, accepted and applied to our progressive knowledge. But I am a skeptic. Until a man can stand on the sun and other heavenly bodies and show me the evidence that everything in this solar system go around the sun, I’m prepared to wait. All I know is, my own senses tell me, when I lie under a starry night, with the telescope on, it ‘looks’ like the universe is revolving around my little planet!
What does The Church of my faith say? Well, actually,
She hasn’t said that my senses are lying to me!
Strawman? Demonstrate this false belief that She held, for me and you’d have something! Until then, in regards ‘strawmen,’ be careful around smokers!
Credibility is a non-sensical view to me, being a skeptic. Credibility sometimes is reliant on who accepts it or a ‘numbers game.’ I prefer to stick to evidence! The current theories are based on accepted views and work being conducted in regards those views. By its very nature, the conclusion must be pre-supposed before the research is completed so we would know what to expect, thereby, tainting the work. Don’t get me wrong, I am a follower of current scientific knowledge and I accept what works! But I know that if research were conducted toward other views, geocentricism included, we
might have similar / same or different conclusions to work with, and they may still work! But that’s me though.
I’ve seen these often enough to annoy me!..taking quotes from Chruch prelates and applying to them some implicit meaning to a subject at hand, in efforts to validate a position against The Church’s views.
The good Cardinal is wise beyond your imagination. Nothing stupid can be Catholic. Some say a belief that Jesus Christ is the Son
and God of all creation is stupid! Some say, a belief that An Omnicient Being is stupid! Some say a belief that The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are ONE is stupid! You’re in a Catholic Forum, where we believe and understand things that defies scientific knowledge, human reason and accepted views of many; in other words, “stupid things” according to many!
Nothing stupid can be Catholic, because nothing God can do is stupid!..and I am not saying you meant that. Only that your measuring stick for “stupidity” is extremely, miniscule! I follow evidence, as you do. But where evidence stops and waits for the next stepping stone to eventuate, I study those who have progressed BEYOND the point to see what they hold and WHY.
Does the earth revolve around the sun? All the contemporary studies and research of our human intellect
tell me that that is the case! But my eyes and brain tell me the exact opposite! So, against my senses, I accept the ‘contrary.’ How stupid do you think that looks?