Best Catholic T-shirt?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cat…your post was very kind and had a lot of really good points which I do understand. I have so many friends and relatives who have converted and I do know what struggles they have gone through to try to grasp a more catholic mindset after years as an evangelical…and it really is different and difficult. But it does come.

Besides it not like coming into the Church in the days of the apostles as we now have 2000 years of history and tradition to try to grasp too. It must be overwhelming for any convert.

I have also noted their incredible enthusiasm and they are so happy to have found the truth they just want to tell everyone…who can blame them! They are a great gift to the Church and I for one admire them greatly.

I did not mean to seem harsh I just get tired sometimes of the attitudes of some which are holdovers from the evangelical days. This certainly takes a while to overcome. And it can seem offensive to old time Catholics.

You are also absolutely correct that it often takes another ex-evangelical to know how to reach these people because they know how they think and what would break through so to speak.

I’ll try to keep this in mind the next time I see one of these t-shirts that I find so offensive 🙂

I just think new catholics from the evangelicals sometimes overestimate their own importance in the conversion of others and do not realize that the Holy Spirit must first prepare the heart of that person before they can be evangelized…so that more than any techniques or religious trinkets, what is first and foremost needed is prayer and trust in God. Otherwise there can be a tendency to pride like see what I have done, rather than give the praise and glory to God for what HE has done.

Because of the nature of evangelicalism there is much self-esteem as opposed to humility. And there is a buddy buddy attitude towards God which seems most irreverent at times and of course less emphasis on the importance of listening to the Church.

Hey don’t feel too bad…i’ve had people praying for me to come out of the whore of babylon my whole life 🙂

I think the problem of misunderstanding is that the evangelical thinking tends to overemphasize “evangelizing” to the point of ignoring the more important work of growing in holiness and virtue oneself. For most of Catholic history the ‘evangelizing’ was done by well trained priests and missionaries and it would have been very presumptious for a lay catholic to do this.

Lay catholics were expected to evangelize by the way they live. Not by using ‘selling techniques’ like t-shirts.
Whereas evangelicals are very into this and their ideas and programs to “get to people”. It’s just a completely different mindset.

I appreciate it that you took the time to respond to me. I’m sure you’ll never get tired of hearing “welcome home” so I am saying it again. I will reflect and pray on what you have written because we old timers need to deepen our understanding of our new brothers and sisters. I think the Church itself may want to get more involved in this dialogue as time goes on…there should definitely be more harmony and unity here among us…In God’s time I guess it will come.

God bless you.
 
byers, this is one of the sweetest and kindest posts I have ever seen on this forum. Thank you so much. I wish we could sit down and chat face to face. This is what being “One Body” is all about–working together so that both of us are more holy and ready for heaven. You have made my day happier!

My husband and I talked this over at dinner last night, and he agreed–there is a balance that evangelical converts must strive for between docility and zeal.

I most certainly agree with you that evangelical converts need to seek docility. I have tried very hard to be docile and submit to the authority of the Church of Jesus Christ.

In fact, it’s the Number 2 reason I converted–the Authority Issue. (Number 1 reason is Jesus Truly Present in the Blessed Sacrament–I recognized Him.)

Protestants are their own authority. Yes, they submit temporarily to ecclesial authorities (denominations) and pastors, but when all is said and done, they individually determine whether the denomination or pastor is “Biblical” or not.

I grew weary of this. It’s hard to be the pope all the time. (I understand why he requires so much prayer!)

I believe with all my heart that the Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus Christ Himself established on this earth, and that Jesus gave His Authority to human men, with the Successor to Peter as the Supreme Authority.

That’s the docility side of the balance.

But I also believe that the Holy Spirit gifts each believer with spiritual gifts for the edification and building up of the Church. (See Romans 12, I Corinthians 12-14, Ephesians 4, I Peter 4). Some of those gifts are speaking gifts (or writing or some other gift involving communication).

It would be a sin against the Holy Spirit to disregard these gifts and hide them.

Also, I believe that all Christians–even the quiet ones–are responsible to share the Gospel with all people that they come into contact with. That involves living a holy life, but it may also involve speaking out and asking or answering questions.

In fact, just yesterday I was reading a book called The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, written in 1930 by Rev. Peter Geiermann, C.SS.R Imprimatur by Joseph E. Ritter, S.T.D. Archbishop of St. Louis (You can buy it currently through TAN Books and Publishers, Inc.)

One of the statements in that book is in Chapter V “The Ten Commandments.” The question is, “Which are the chief sins against Faith?” The answer is …(5) Not to profess the Faith openly when circumstances require it."

Also in this little book is a wonderful Profession of Faith–it seems that in the past, converts were required to make this Profession of Faith at the time of their reception into the Church. I personally think it would be good to reinstate this, because it is very deep and would help prevent people from converting without examining the Church and studying its precepts and dogma.

At the end of this Profession of Faith is the following sentence: This same Catholic Faith, outside of which nobody can be saved, which I now freely profess and to which I truly adhere, the same I promise and swear to maintain and profess, with the help of God, entire, inviolate, and with firm constancy until the last breath of life; and I shall strive as far as possible, that this same faith shall be held, taught, and publicly professed by all those who depend on me and by those of whom I shall have charge. (boldface mine).

So it seems that converts have always been zealous to share their Catholic Faith, and it seems that the Church supports this zeal.

And that’s the zeal side of the balance.

So where do t-shirts fit in? I would say that they sit on the “zeal” side of the balance. As long as they are balanced on the other side with docility and humility, we’re fine. It’s when things get out of balance, and the zeal overrides the holiness that we can fall into sin and do more to hurt the Church instead of building It up.
 
There is a clothing line started by Tarek Saab that has subtle Catholic clothing. lionheartapparel.com/

I have never heard anything from the Vatican that wearing such outward signs of faith is wrong and besides we should be very happy we live in places where we have the freedom to wear such items. Anyone going to the Olympics in Beijing? Try walking around wearing a Jesus or Catholic tshirt and see how far you get! I heard a homily on ewtn recently about a saint (I forget his name) who encouraged people to put a sign containing the Holy name of Jesus above their door to counteract the common practice, of that place and time, of people putting magic talismans and such things above their doors.
I don’t usually like T-shirts with anything on them. But I like these.
 
Remember, Paul said that in order to win some souls, we need to be all things to all people.
This whole post was great, but I think this sums it up. I’m a life-long Catholic, but I am thankful for the evangelical converts who may have different ways of thinking or different ways of doing things. Who better to evangelize to evangelicals than former evangelicals? Of course, there is a certain amount of conforming our hearts and minds to the Church, but there is also enough leeway for new ways of doing things.

Of course, we want to stay true to the Church and her teaching, but we don’t want to be so presumptive to think we can’t learn a few new tricks, either! 🙂

I didn’t see anyone mention catholictothemax.com. They have lots of great shirts, including the “Mission Accomplished” JPII t-shirt.
 
This whole post was great, but I think this sums it up. I’m a life-long Catholic, but I am thankful for the evangelical converts who may have different ways of thinking or different ways of doing things. Who better to evangelize to evangelicals than former evangelicals? Of course, there is a certain amount of conforming our hearts and minds to the Church, but there is also enough leeway for new ways of doing things.

Of course, we want to stay true to the Church and her teaching, but we don’t want to be so presumptive to think we can’t learn a few new tricks, either! 🙂

I didn’t see anyone mention catholictothemax.com. They have lots of great shirts, including the “Mission Accomplished” JPII t-shirt.
I picked up the Three in One shirt from “catholic to the max” and wear it to work, looks like the classic football shirt.
It gets by all the rules.plus when people ask I can answer.
yes it does work.
 
Wow!!! I never expected such a hot discussion on this thread! I can honestly see both sides of the issue.

I have the same conflict! I am a convert, too… and was anxious to tell the world how much I love the Church (if I could write it in the sky behind one of those little planes, I would!!) … not as boastful but as a giddy school girl in love! I saw a t-shirt in the Leaflet Missal catalogue that said “Cool to be Catholic” on the front, and the word “ONE” on the back, with other words floating like “faith,” “bread” “body,” etc and the verse “that they all may be one like I and my father are one.” I loved it… bought it… and then never wore it because it seemed obnoxious and “in your face.” Then I decided it was fine to wear it to church functions, with other catholics, which I have. From Cafepress.com I bought two recently… one has the keys of Peter with the four words in a column “ONE… HOLY…CATHOLIC… APOSTOLIC” and another with a big comfy chair and a pile of books and says “Society of Catholic Armchair Theologians.” Again… I am uncomfortable wearing them except in Catholic circles, because I do not want to be prideful or obnoxious.

As a funny aside… at a Catholic conference many people were wearing T-Shirts that said on the front “I love my German Shepard.” I am so thick. I thought “Wow! there are alot of dog lovers here! And all the same breed! What a weird coincidence!”
Of course it was referring to Pope Benedict, but I didn’t get it! DUH!

anyway… I love t-shirts and bumper stickers in theory, but feel obnoxious with them, unless they are round-about. I feel better about wearing a catholic medal or crucifix. I guess it’s a personal matter.
 
Most of the best come from Lionheart Apparel!!! It is really subtle and not in your face “I"m CATHOLIC!!!” It helps to start a conversation, “Hey, what’s your tee about?” Pretty cool stuff.

Also, I love stuff by Remnant!
 
I too like Lionheart. Like others have said, clean and modern. They also give explanations of the various symbols as well - I had heard of Mary being referred to as the “Mirror of Justice”, but never knew what that meant. Now I do. 🙂

And, as a side note, I have to say I’m proud of how the debating over whether these shirts are appropriate has gone very well, with both sides striving to understand the other’s point of view. I’ve seen too many of these degenerate into shouting matches. Much love and humility abound. Well done. 😃
 
I don’t have a point of view on whether t-shirts are a good or bad idea, although I did like the approach on the Lionheart offerings.

I was surprised to see the Lionheart design with the alpha and omega intertwined is virtually identical to a tattoo I got a long time ago for other reasons–I was in a fraternity called ATO that started with religious roots after the Civil War (the “T” between the A and the O was meant to represent the cross) but was just a social organization by the time I joined. On the chapter charter was an insignia with the overlapping A and O, with the T running through the middle.

I got the tattoo for poor and poorly thought through reasons, but years later when I started on the path back to taking faith seriously I thought it was interesting that at a time in my life where I was paying attention to everything but Jesus I permanenty stamped myself with His symbol.
 
Has anyone ever seen this on a t-shirt or bumper sticker:

“Keep Christ in Christmas”

My husband and I would like to see this:

“Keep MASS in Christmas”
 
Hi Cat - thank you for this thread!

I am a cradle Catholic who loves t-shirt evangelism (although I admit I am still coming up to speed in the courage area with regard to actually WEARING the fun shirts I have found so far.)

Anyway I saw all my favorite links already posted here, except for this one: sarahbauer.com

Sarah Bauer is a Catholic musician and while her music is great, she has some pretty cool t-shirts on her website too. One of them says on the front “Mary’s Got My Back”, and on the back of the shirt there is a large drawing of the Miraculous Medal, with the traditional words clearly legible around the edge, “O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee”.

I don’t know if you would be comfortable or interested to discuss the Miraculous Medal with Protestants since it is not something which Catholics are obliged to believe in, being that it is a private revelation (although I believe it did happen because the Church has deemed it worthy of belief and I feel the miracles subsequent to the distribution of the medals confirm St Catherine Laboure’s vision), … but at any rate this shirt is dynamite!

Thanks again for this thread - may God bless you and your husband in all that you do, and everyone with whom you speak!
 
I’m a little late to the heart of this conversation, but if I might add to it:

Someone mentioned my own site, www.betterinlatin.com.

One poster commented that anything with Jesus on it was inappropriate, which I can understand to a point, which is why I wouldn’t draw His picture and have it on a shirt. I have drawn Him in a couple of cartoons, but prefer to not make a habit of it.

But many years ago, while I was still a non-churchgoer at all, I saw a shirt that said “What has God ever done for you?” It had a picture of Jesus with the crown of thorns in a type of shadow (just His head). It was on a black shirt. I searched and searched until I found that shirt (this is before the Internet). That image was like a finger pointing right at me.

As for my own designs, the Better In Latin has been the most popular, and does start quite a few conversations. One woman told me, with obvious disappointment, that when the Mass “went to English”, her father quit going. Completely. And NEVER went back. And in all of the conversations I’ve had with people, I’ve never run into anyone who’s actually gone to a Latin Mass, so hopefully, it’s piqued some interest in doing so.

I have the Better in Latin bumper sticker on my truck, and have noticed people really staring at it. For non-Catholics, they probably have no concept. For Catholics, heck, even some of them won’t. But others read it and might wonder “Hey, is it really?”
 
If I can get a few bucks I want to get a custom one made up;

On the back–The Nicene Creed

On the front "Your POLITE questions about the Catholic Church answered by a friendly Catholic!"

Am I asking for it, or what?
 
Hey Lion,

I can just see it - that shirt will attract those radical protestants like bugs to a bug-zapper…hehe
 
Catholics should not be wearing any such nonsense “advertising” the faith or the name of the Lord. We advertise by the way we live…not by what we wear. And the holy name of Jesus should never be profaned by plastering it across a t-shirt.

HOLY IS HIS NAME
Becuase I have never seen, oh say, a priest, bishop, or the Pope walking around in clothing that blatantly advertises his faith.

As for the name of Jesus, if it can be typed in books, bulletins, web forums, on priestly vestments, medals, prayer cards, greeting cards, etc, etc. why not on t-shirts.

last time I checked, t-shirts aren’t of the Devil.
 
Sswweeeett Holly. Now THAT’S in your face! 😃

I love it, but don’t know that I could ever wear it.
 
HOnestly? I like the t-shirt idea. I have teens and they are proud to wear their shirts- to public school- everywhere. I can understand not wanting to wear some of the “in your face” shirts; subtlety is sometimes more effective than shouting. But when I see some of the **** that other teens are wearing, I am proud that my kids want to wear their Catholic shirts.
And I agree with a PP that this has been a good debate. I can definitely see both points of view.

The Catholicism written in the script of Coca Cola seems to be pretty popular, but I have had a hard time finding it. Thanks everyone for all of the web sites mentioned- I will try them!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top