"Bible beleiving Church"

  • Thread starter Thread starter JED8643
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Jim comes here and attacks our Faith should we all just smile and say “well we are all just following Christ the best way we can”?
.
And this is the part where I ask you to show where I’ve done this and then sit back and wonder why you can’t find an example.
 
The question isn’t whether or not I would want to, but whether or not the Catholics would put their money where their collective mouth is.

I have no doubt that a Catholic would never disgrace himself by darkening our doors, but that doesn’t stop us from holding the invitation (no pun intended) out to Catholics who may be born again to join us in communion.

.
You don’t have communion.
 
Well then, I guess that makes it OK.
It does not make it OK. I wish that others would be on their best behavior as well.
That’s right. Disagreement is not the same as being treated badly.
I’m glad we agree 🙂
However, name calling, putting down, personal attacks, putting words in somebody’s mouth are examples of treating someone badly.
I absolutely agree on this. Have you not put down or personally attacked the Catholic faith on this thread?
Now, of course you’ll claim that I did this, but you won’t ever give an example.
Refer once again to my post #81. I’ll also post it here:
And once you learn the Bible, you become and ex-Catholic
and…
Not in the superstitious sense that you do, no.
You refer our interpretation of John 20:22-23 as superstitious?
That’s correct. When I started here, I tried to answer everyone’s question and respond to everyone in a good faith belief (no pun intended) that they were sincere. Now that I know that isn’t true, I only respond to certain things, while ignoring veiled put downs and baiting questions.
I have seen things differently. However, I apologize for the way that you feel that you are being treated. May the Lord Bless you Pastor Jim.
 
But, yes, we do put a lot of stock in history. It’s funny you don’t.
Well then it sure was dumb for me to waste four years of college earning a history degree, huh?

Just think, all those years I spent teaching history and all that time, I didn’t even believe in it. :rolleyes:
It really is. You say we put our authority in history and you don’t. What a Catholic hears is, “I’ma do what I want to do, and I don’t care what Jesus or anybody else following him did!” Understand that is how you sound.
If that’s what a Catholic hears, then Catholics should get their ears cleaned out.
No priests in the New Testament?! Do you know how to speak Greek?!
ναι ξέρω τα ελληνικά έτσι ξέρω ότι το βιβλίο Εβραίων μας λέει Χριστό κατάργησε το παλαιό συμβόλαιο και τη levitical ιεροσύνη στα οποία η καθολική ιεροσύνη είναι βασισμένη
 
I notice you didn’t address my WHOLE post. I said:

*You think this site is aggressive? I offer you a challenge: Sign up at a protestant forum, pretend you are a Catholic, and post a few Cathoilic ideas, then watch what follows. If you’re lucky, you will be called an idolator, a Mariolator, a pope worshipper, a pagan, the whore of Babylon, and more. Or, more likely, you will just be immediately banned for posting Catholic ideas. I know: I’ve been there and done that.,

Sorry my friend: We are far more tolerant of protestant ideas than protestants are of ours. Those are THE FACTS*

I stand by that post. I wish I could name the names of the forums, but thats probably against the rules. And the thing that upsets me most of all about them is that they always call themselves “Christian” forums, as if the name Christian applies only to them. This underscores the unspoken fact that they believe Catholics are NOT Christians.

I’m sorry sir: My experiences - which are many - tell me that you are wrong

Oh. You mean he’s Catholic??!! Wow.
Never tried posting on a Fundamentalist protesitant website, but man, on a liberal protestant website I was called a misogonistic pig for believing in a male only priesthood. Promplty left…

Now some Protesistants believe that we are not Christian, a belief that I just can’t make seince of as we say the creed in EVERY Sunday Mass, but many protestants, I would say most protestants I know think we are Christian, just that we are too hung up on ritual and the like.

I think tempers are running high on some of the posts.

Pastor Jim will say something which I’m sure he is meaning to just be an expression of his faith, but from our point of view sounds arrogant and dismissive

(PJ, I’m not going to look for speceific quotes, but many times you will reply with “thats not what the Bible says” which can seem dismissive as we also have biblical backing for what we are saying; especially since you don’t always provide what passage from scripture you are referencing. I am not accusing you of anything, I’m saying that this is how you come off sometimes, I’m sure it’s not intentional)

And as a response to what Pastor Jim says someone else will react (perhaps over react) and say something back.

A good rule of thumb is to not type anything you would not say to someone’s face and to be very charitable and let slights against your character slide on by and get back to discussing the issue at hand.

I remember once I was in a car with someone who thought that we Catholics were not Chritian and he and I argued the entire car ride with no progress made. I mentioned it offhand to my friend Mary who is practically a saint while still on Earth (a dominican sister now) who knew this guy and she said that she would talk to him.

See, I came at him with logical arguments and anger, he came back at me in anger and (somewhat less) logical arguments, but Mary, she approached with love and humility and the guy never accused or harrased me again. Now he is still a protesiant, but he now knows that we are also Chritian, and respects our views, though he disagree’s with him.

Food for thought.

Peace!
 
I have no doubt that a Catholic would never disgrace himself by darkening our doors, but that doesn’t stop us from holding the invitation (no pun intended) out to Catholics who may be born again to join us in communion.
Is this not a personal attack against Catholics. Is this not putting down the Catholic Church. You are insinuating that Catholics are not born again.

Interesting after the comment you made earlier…
However, name calling, putting down, personal attacks, putting words in somebody’s mouth are examples of treating someone badly.
God bless you Pastor Jim. I trust that you say what you say out of good faith. I would recommend that your read the CCC. That may help you out.
 
I have seen things differently. However, I apologize for the way that you feel that you are being treated. May the Lord Bless you Pastor Jim.
Ah, yes. The Clinton apology. I haven’t seen one of those in a while.

“I apologize for the way you feel you have been treated” is not an apology. It is a way to shift the blame on the person allegedly being apologized to, and making it appear to onlookers like you apologized, without ever having to take responsibility for your actions.

An actual apology would simply be, “I apologize for the way you have been treated.”

Why on Earth would you think that apologizing to someone for the way that they feel is a reasonable thing to do?
Is this not a personal attack against Catholics. Is this not putting down the Catholic Church. You are insinuating that Catholics are not born again.
No, actually, that isn’t at all what I said. Precisely the opposite. By stating that there are Catholics who are born again, I stated that there are Catholics who are born again.

The good news for you, though, is that your fellow Catholics don’t really care what I said, they only care what you tell them I said.
Tell that to Scott Hahn, Tim Staples, and the waves of protestant PASTORS joing the Catholic Church.
OK. I would tell that to the scores of Catholics who leaving Catholicism and becoming Protestants and Baptists but they already know that.
PJ, I’m not going to look for speceific quotes, but many times you will reply with “thats not what the Bible says” which can seem dismissive as we also have biblical backing for what we are saying
And there’s that Catholic double standard again.

Funny how a Catholic can take a verse terribly out of context and he has “Biblical backing” that I am not to question, but when I cite a passage of scripture without any commentary, just letting the text of scripture speak for itself, all you tell me is “you’re misinterpreting it”.
I don’t know what that means
Don’t worry. Adstrinity is fluent. She’ll tell you what it means.
 
Sad, good topic turned into name calling and personal attacks. Maybe a new thread on this topic is needed.
 
The question isn’t whether or not I would want to, but whether or not the Catholics would put their money where their collective mouth is.
I’m not sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate, please?
I have no doubt that a Catholic would never disgrace himself by darkening our doors, but that doesn’t stop us from holding the invitation (no pun intended) out to Catholics who may be born again to join us in communion.
Thank you for the invitation to observe your service. What church do you preach at, and when are services held?

Thank you for the invitation to communion as well. I would not join you in communion because, to me (and to the Church), I’d be professing a unity that doesn’t exist. Also, I prefer the body and blood of Jesus Christ to mere symbols of it. But thank you anyway! 🙂
So then it comes back to our not being real Christians in your eyes.
Please cite, from a Catholic source, any Church teaching that says Baptists (any brand) are not “real Christians.” To my knowledge, the Church does teach that you are “real Christians.”
Another lie. We believe very strongly in this.
You believe that the bread and wine becomes the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ?
 
And if I told you that, you’d want to know the name of it and if I told you that, you’d want to know where it is and if I told you that, you’d want a list of all of the members and if I told you that, you’d want to know what they do for a living and if I told you that, you’d want to know what kind of car they drive.
Nope—just what flavor of Baptist you are. Unless what kind of car you drive now determines your doctrine, something which wouldn’t necessarily shock me given all the endless schisms, it is irrelevant.

So what flavor of Baptist are you?
Enough of this idiotic infinite regress.
Yes, please stop doing that and answer the simple question.
I keep trying to explain to you people that we don’t believe that the Bible is the only authority and you keep on insisting that we do.
Unfortunately, a significant number of people who call themselves Baptists do believe the Bible to be the only authority. The confusion on our part stems from evasiveness on yours. If you want a customized answer, you’ll need to come clean as to which Baptist tradition you hold to.
You’re absolutely right! There is no place that says that the Bible is the only authority. That’s why we don’t believe or practice that. Why should I have to defend something we don’t even teach?
You don’t, but until you tell us what you teach we can only guess based on common Baptist beliefs.

So what flavor Baptist are you?
And why should I have to prove something I never said?
You don’t. Perhaps telling us what flavor Baptist you are would help.
We don’t have priests because the Bible tells us that we are under a new covenant and Hebrews tells us that there are no more priests.
And yet there were in the apostolic age, as we see from the earliest of the ECFs.

Perhaps you know more than they did.
We do have deacons and, while they’re not called bishops, we do have men who perform the role of bishops.
Perhaps if you clarified which Baptist denomination or community you belong to this would be clearer.
That’s why I would never tell them to follow me for their eternal life.
Good thing! That would be a sin, and without perfect contrition you’d be in trouble!
It wouldn’t make sense to be secretive at this point when they already know what I believe.
This is the purpose of signature lines and profiles. You could update yours and then everyone would know at a glance without you risking carpal tunnel letting it drib and drab out.

For example, my profile says “Catholic”. You now know what I believe, what my Church teaches, and can reference the Catechism of the Catholic Church for definitive answers to any questions you may have.

Moreover, you can even correct me if I, a Catholic, come out with a whopper such as “abortion isn’t a sin”—the Church makes it very clear it is a most grave sin and immediately excommunicates those who obtain, perform, or help to procure it.

THAT’s the power of unity.

At least if you give an indication as to which Baptist body of doctrine you hold to, we could refrain from ascribing beliefs from other Baptist bodies to you.

Based on your prior responses, I don’t believe you’re part of an independent Baptist congregation, which would complicate things since you might in that instance cherrypick doctrines from a spectrum of Baptist theology with no particular rationale.

Again, I’m presuming your complaints are sincere, that you want discussion, and that your snarky responses are simply reflective of prevailing message forum manners rather than kneejerk anti-Catholicism of the sort we see periodically from your fellow Baptists.
 
ναι ξέρω τα ελληνικά έτσι ξέρω ότι το βιβλίο Εβραίων μας λέει Χριστό κατάργησε το παλαιό συμβόλαιο και τη levitical ιεροσύνη στα οποία η καθολική ιεροσύνη είναι βασισμένη
I don’t know what that means, but I do know that priest comes from the greek prysbiter, which means elder, which is in the Bible, see 1 Peter. In Latin the word is Sacradote (I think) which is a closer meaning of priest that we find in the old testiment. There is a new priesthood in the NT, with Jesus as High Priest (see Heb) and we are all in the priesthood of all believers (see 1 Peter I think, know I read it, can’t remember where exactly).

So where does that leave our priests that we have, why do we call them priests? Well first of all the office of priesthood is actually the office of the preystbeterate, co-works of the Bishops, who are allowed to share in the Priestly minustry of the Bishops to a degree. The Bishops get there preishood from Jesus, as they are configured the Christ in such a way as is needed to carry out the duties of thier office, to forgive sins (see John) teach and preach (see mathew) and spread the Gospel. They also confect the Eucahraist (see 1 Corithans 11, john 6, and the last supper discourses from the synoptic Gospels.)

Thats a brief sketch, if you want more about this particular issue please start a new topic in apologetics asking for an explanation about the duties of the priesthood, origin, etc.

Peace!
 
ναι ξέρω τα ελληνικά έτσι ξέρω ότι το βιβλίο Εβραίων μας λέει Χριστό κατάργησε το παλαιό συμβόλαιο και τη levitical ιεροσύνη στα οποία η καθολική ιεροσύνη είναι βασισμένη
Well, Δεν πιστεύω ότι μιλάτε ελληνικά. Είμαι βέβαιος ότι χρησιμοποιήσατε τη μετάφραση λογισμικού. Ξέρω έκανα.

Wait a second—is that Klingon?
 
Well, Δεν πιστεύω ότι μιλάτε ελληνικά. Είμαι βέβαιος ότι χρησιμοποιήσατε τη μετάφραση λογισμικού. Ξέρω έκανα.

Wait a second—is that Klingon?
Q’apla! 😃
 
**Pastor Jim{/b],

You think what you wish. My apology was sincere. I have not said anything disrespectful about your beliefs as a Baptist. I have only asked questions and tried to answer yours.

God bless you.**
 
Originally Posted by Pastor Jim
I have no doubt that a Catholic would never disgrace himself by darkening our doors, but that doesn’t stop us from holding the invitation (no pun intended) out to Catholics who may be born again to join us in communion.
Why thank you. And we also offer you an invitation as well, to give up sectarianism and come into full communion with the ancient Church, and join us in receiving the “bread of life”
 
Pastor Jim,

Μερικές φορές αμφιβάλλω για τη δέσμευσή σας να ΛΑΜΨΗ κίνηση.

Never underestimate the power of Google translation! 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top