"Bible beleiving Church"

  • Thread starter Thread starter JED8643
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why thank you. And we also offer you an invitation as well, to give up sectarianism and come into full communion with the ancient Church, and join us in receiving the “bread of life”
As noted, anyone claiming to believe the Bible ought to believe John 6.
 
Ah, yes. The Clinton apology. I haven’t seen one of those in a while.

“I apologize for the way you feel you have been treated” is not an apology. It is a way to shift the blame on the person allegedly being apologized to, and making it appear to onlookers like you apologized, without ever having to take responsibility for your actions.

An actual apology would simply be, “I apologize for the way you have been treated.”

Why on Earth would you think that apologizing to someone for the way that they feel is a reasonable thing to do?

No, actually, that isn’t at all what I said. Precisely the opposite. By stating that there are Catholics who are born again, I stated that there are Catholics who are born again.

The good news for you, though, is that your fellow Catholics don’t really care what I said, they only care what you tell them I said.

OK. I would tell that to the scores of Catholics who leaving Catholicism and becoming Protestants and Baptists but they already know that.

And there’s that Catholic double standard again.

Funny how a Catholic can take a verse terribly out of context and he has “Biblical backing” that I am not to question, but when I cite a passage of scripture without any commentary, just letting the text of scripture speak for itself, all you tell me is “you’re misinterpreting it”.

Don’t worry. Adstrinity is fluent. She’ll tell you what it means.
You think what you wish. My apology was sincere.
Like I said, a sincere apology involves accepting responsibility for the thing being apologized for.
I have not said anything disrespectful about your beliefs as a Baptist.
Riiiiight.
Why thank you. And we also offer you an invitation as well, to give up sectarianism and come into full communion with the ancient Church, and join us in receiving the “bread of life”
Thank you, but I’m in communion with Christ and His church and I see no reason to leave now.
 
What? We haven’t even called each other Nazis yet!

Always a drag, JaS. 😉
Just noticed PJ’s averaging 50+ posts a day. Wonder if the deacon board knows how he spends his time? 😃
Pastor Jim> observe the smiley. 😃
 
Well, it’s not the quickest I’ve seen a thread get hijacked… I sure did enjoy lurking/reading when it was on topic though.😦
 
these treads make me glad I have a smart folder for mail from CA forums so I can clean it up fast…

PJ, your mailbox must be flooded!
 
Just noticed PJ’s averaging 50+ posts a day. Wonder if the deacon board knows how he spends his time? 😃
Pastor Jim> observe the smiley. 😃
I’m sure they got the idea that I was sick and wouldn’t be leaving the house much for a few days when I coughed and hacked my way through last night’s Bible study.
You think what you wish. My apology was sincere.
Like I said, a sincere apology involves accepting responsibility for the thing being apologized for.
I have not said anything disrespectful about your beliefs as a Baptist.
Riiiiight.
Why thank you. And we also offer you an invitation as well, to give up sectarianism and come into full communion with the ancient Church, and join us in receiving the “bread of life”
Thank you, but I’m in communion with Christ and His church and I see no reason to leave now.
 
I’m sure they got the idea that I was sick and wouldn’t be leaving the house much for a few days when I coughed and hacked my way through last night’s Bible study.
I feel for you dude. I did more than one Bible study higher than a kite from cold medicine.:eek:
 
:clapping: I vote this last comment by Pastor Jim as Post of the Year.
Certainly one of the more circular arguments I’ve seen recently.
40.png
trrocks03:
But seriously, it seems that there is no debate going on with this man. I honestly wish we had another non-catholic or two in here besides him that would actually debate and answer questions instead of lead us around in circles. :hypno:
I would like to hear a person from a “bible-believing church” explain why the Catholic Church … or any church that believes in the bible would also not qualify.

To me, it seems quite evidence that what people mean by the term is a “bible-only” church. As in, a church that looks to the bible alone for doctrine. But this begs the question… what exactly is the bible (and what is not the bible) and why should we rely on it alone for doctrine? Is the bible 66 books? 73 books? 5 books? 105? And who decides? My pastor? My conscience? The publishing companies? Majority vote? :confused:

I think that if protestants want to be honest about directing new christians to a reformed Church they should use that language, and be up front about it, instead of attempting by label to usurp the bible from Catholics and the Orthodox churches.

Peace,
-Robert
 
Just noticed PJ’s averaging 50+ posts a day. Wonder if the deacon board knows how he spends his time? 😃
Pastor Jim> observe the smiley. 😃
From the horror stories I hear from friends, I’d be shocked if the deacon’s board didn’t implant GPS trackers in pastors these days.
 
Certainly one of the more circular arguments I’ve seen recently.

I would like to hear a person from a “bible-believing church” explain why the Catholic Church … or any church that believes in the bible would also not qualify.

To me, it seems quite evidence that what people mean by the term is a “bible-only” church. As in, a church that looks to the bible alone for doctrine. But this begs the question… what exactly is the bible (and what is not the bible) and why should we rely on it alone for doctrine? Is the bible 66 books? 73 books? 5 books? 105? And who decides? My pastor? My conscience? The publishing companies? Majority vote? :confused:

I think that if protestants want to be honest about directing new christians to a reformed Church they should use that language, and be up front about it, instead of attempting by label to usurp the bible from Catholics and the Orthodox churches.

Peace,
-Robert
Hey! What is this? Get back off topic! 😃
 
I’m sure they got the idea that I was sick and wouldn’t be leaving the house much for a few days when I coughed and hacked my way through last night’s Bible study.
Ελπίζω να βρείτε την καλύτερη αίσθηση συντομότερο Pastor Jim. Θα προσευχόμαστε για μια γρήγορη ανάρρωση.:crossrc:
 
Thank you, but I’m in communion with Christ and His church and I see no reason to leave now.
So by implication are we not in communion with Christ and His Church?

See, this is what I’ve been talking about.

Now before you accuse me of being a hypocrite (not saying you would, but if I left if there you could), I do think you are in communion with Christ and His Church, just not full communion, but in communion nonetheless. Did you mean to express something similar?

Peace!
 
From the horror stories I hear from friends, I’d be shocked if the deacon’s board didn’t implant GPS trackers in pastors these days.
Yes, that’s called “The Parsonage”. A place where the church can observe every waking moment of the Pastor and his family for use in the next businiss meeting.
GOD HELP the Pastor who answers the door without his pants on! :eek:
😃
 
I would like to hear a person from a “bible-believing church” explain why the Catholic Church … or any church that believes in the bible would also not qualify.

To me, it seems quite evidence that what people mean by the term is a “bible-only” church. As in, a church that looks to the bible alone for doctrine. But this begs the question… what exactly is the bible (and what is not the bible) and why should we rely on it alone for doctrine? Is the bible 66 books? 73 books? 5 books? 105? And who decides? My pastor? My conscience? The publishing companies? Majority vote? :confused:

I think that if protestants want to be honest about directing new christians to a reformed Church they should use that language, and be up front about it, instead of attempting by label to usurp the bible from Catholics and the Orthodox churches.

Peace,
-Robert
It’s all about butts in pews and tithes in tins.

This is all about sorting Protestants in a more effective manner than the old Reformation distinctions allow 500 years on.

What we see with the “Bible-believing” branding is the free market of Protestantism at work. Those who seek to expand dollars and denomination through watering down Christian doctrine and dogma go the “nondenominational” or “seeker” route to megachurch status while those who seek to do the same by providing hellfire-and-brimstone olde tyme religion go the “Bible-believing” route.

Those who seek Truth rather than tithes go Catholic. 👍
 
Friend Pastor Jim. I have dealt with - and humbled - you before, sir. I find you to be a bomb-dropper, an obfuscator, and simply an agitant. Your posting record - which is lengthy - provides crystalline proof that you have no purpose here other than to cause disruption. You are not interested in dialogue; rather, you make bombastic claims and inflammatory accusations - on a Catholic website, mind you - and then retreat from the inevitable reaction and backlash to claim victimhood. This is not intelligent dialogue, sir; it is pure antagonism. Quite frankly, you should be banned, as you bring nothing to the table.

To back up my claim, here are quotes from you up to page 6 (I got tired of reading your screeds) of this thread. First, we will start with the agitation aspect:

*“They may all be Bible believing churches (although with the state the UMC and the Catholic churches are in, I’d be a little skeptical).”

“I mean that the Catholic church routinely teaches things that are not Biblical, ignores things that are, and puts it’s traditions and the opinions of “early church fathers” over scripture.”

“I have heard many non-Catholic Christians use the term essential and non-essential. For example, we, baptists for example, believe with the presbyterians when it comes to the essential doctrine but not the non-essentials. What are the essentials and non-essentials? As far as I know the Catholic Church does not teach that there are essential and non-essential doctrines.”

“Oh, no. The Catholic church absolutely does teach that there are essential doctrines. They’re just not the same essential doctrines and the Bible’s essential doctrines.”

“Christians are commanded to study the scriptures so that we may rightly divide the word of truth (that means that terrible “i” word that Catholics are so afraid of: interpret) in 2 Timothy 3.”

“Could you please show where the 1 John passage says anything at all about your eucharist? Or is this just another of your “self-interpretations”?”

“Ignatius is certainly welcome to his opinion, but an opinion is all it is.”

"I disagree. There are many traditions you hold that contradict scripture. "

“And once you learn the Bible, you become and ex-Catholic.”

“I reject the authority of your religious organization because your religious organization rejects the authority of the word of God.”*

And here we go to the retreat mode and declaration of victimhood status:

*“And I wish there was a Catholic here who was interested in sincerely discussing an issue and not just looking for an excuse to throw rocks at non-Catholics.”

“So then, because this is a Catholic website, insults and attacks by Catholics…what…don’t count?”

“Have you really been attacked? Or insulted? Please link to one: I’d like to see”*

Pastor Jim, please, show some manhood. All posts in which you are involved portray you as a dog chasing its tail, sir. Cease dropping bombs, getting a response you don’t agree with and which pins you in a corner, and then defensively lobbing another to confuse and obfuscate - over and over and over. This only stirs up the thread and negates any attempt at a true discussion - all the while causing offense. Conduct yourself in a mannerly, charitable way and you will be treated accordingly. To continue to behave as a child doing nothing more than trying to get a rise out of some peers does not reflect well on you, sir.

And it certainly isn’t doing God’s work.
 
Pastor Jim…

Peace to you in Christ.

I have a few simple comments about some of the statements you have made. Please understand that though I may be critical of your comments, I by no means wish to imply any sort of attack on your beliefs…

For starters, it seems to me that you imply that Catholics are not in union with Christ. While I know this is a common position held by some Christian groups, I find it curious that any group or person would assume to know the spiritual state of any other man. In my own personal journey, it is Catholic teaching that brought me closer to God and Christ than I ever was previously. Praying the Rosary, ask for the intercession of the saints, etc, these things did not distract me from Christ, on the contrary, help me immeasurably on my journey TO Christ. All of the things that we are often criticized for IF USED PROPERLY will do but one thing…

Point to Christ.

Though there are many ‘loud’ catholics on this board, you will find a story very similar among the most faithful here.

My second point of contention and you may have answered this, is that I seem to repeatedly hear comments from you such as “I am just holding to the bible…” A worthy goal I might add… or "we all argee on essentials…

Unfortunately, Among all protestant churches, there is an amazing array of varying beliefs on what is (a) essential and (b) what following scripture means. I, as you, would say an essential is believing in Christ as our lord is savior… but what does that mean… it means something different to a baptist, to a Lutheran, to a methodist… etc…

Why? because each interpret scripture differently…

Perhaps it would be better to simply add “Based on my interpretation… Catholics do not follow scripture…” If you feel your understanding is perfect, then you have to also acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE for the Pope to have perfect understanding as well…

Anyway…

Just something I wanted to point out

May the peace of Christ be with you always
 
Yes, that’s called “The Parsonage”. A place where the church can observe every waking moment of the Pastor and his family for use in the next businiss meeting.
GOD HELP the Pastor who answers the door without his pants on! :eek:
😃
They ought to read more St Paul. He wasn’t big on busybodies.

“Bible-believing” ought to mean the WHOLE Bible, right, even the inconvenient parts like St Paul’s reference to the Eucharist in 1 Cor 11:

23: For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take**, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me**.
25: After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying,** This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me**.
26: For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.
27: Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28:
But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup
.
29: **For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s **body.
30: For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31: For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32: But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
33: Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
34: And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Note that I used the KJV here, lest I run afoul of that subset of “Bible-believing” folks who say “KJV Only”.
 
Thank you, but I’m in communion with Christ and His church and I see no reason to leave now.
Scott Hahn didn’t “leave” - rather, he chose to enter into the “fullness” of Christ, having only experiened Him in a lim itged manner before.

I wouldn’t invite you to “leave” Christ: I’d invite you to experince the fullness of all that Christ died to give us.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top