Bibles

• Thread starter Thread starter George_M
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the NASB and absolutely love it. It does miss some of the books that are part of the Catholic Bible but the other books that it does include it does so very well. One thing that it does is when there is a verse or what not that is in ambiguous Greek or Hebrew, it does not try to make a conjecture as to its meaning and translates it as ambiguous English.

One of the problems that you might have is that it references or utilizes some archeological finds that were not available at the time of the creation of the Septuagint… such as the pre-Gnostic material found in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I think that it is a good Bible to keep in your repertoire for comparison at least. As far as I am concerned as long as you are not using Bibles such as the Good News Bible, The Living Bible, and the New World Testament you are doing O.K. if you cross reference with other Bibles and an exhaustive concordance.

George M:
The print in the RSV CV is kind of small, would the NRSV with the Apocrypha be good enough. God Bless George
The NRSV is not really a good translation, because it trys to gender nuetral. It replaces the brethren with brothers and sisters and also replaces Christ a lot with He. A good place to read on how to choose a translation and the differences between the translation is at catholic.com library, they have a bible translation guide in the scripture and tradition section. I have found this most helpful.

Shari

40.png
Cephas:
Not necessary but 😃

Ignatius Press has a RSVCE study bible being released book by book (so far). What I mean is that : the Gospel of Matthew is alone as a book, Mark alone, Luke etc
they are up to Romans I believe. Excellent study bibles. Word studys, maps, topical essays, etc. done by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch. my understanding is that when they are done with new testament, then a one-volume will be released.

they go for about 8-10 dollars.
A good study bible that I have been using is the Navarre study bibles. The way it works is the new testament is all in one book and the old testement is divided into more than one, for example one of my old testaments ones has the first five books of the old testament, and so on. I really like them, and they are the good translation as well as have the study commentary to go with the verses.

shari

40.png
Shari:
A good study bible that I have been using is the Navarre study bibles. The way it works is the new testament is all in one book and the old testement is divided into more than one, for example one of my old testaments ones has the first five books of the old testament, and so on. I really like them, and they are the good translation as well as have the study commentary to go with the verses.

shari
My Navarre is divided into separate volumes, both OT and NT. The NT is 12 volumes (some books are combined). The OT is not done being translated yet (I think they are at Song of Songs).

WELL worth the money! The commentary is awesome.

'thann

40.png
thann:
My Navarre is divided into separate volumes, both OT and NT. The NT is 12 volumes (some books are combined). The OT is not done being translated yet (I think they are at Song of Songs).

WELL worth the money! The commentary is awesome.

'thann
My Navarre NT has all the books of the NT in one volume. And the OT is separated into a few books in each volume. The one OT that I have has the fisrt five books of the OT in it. I also saw in our Catholic book store two more volumes. One of which contained I and II Macabees. You are definitly correct well worth the money!!! 😃

Actually the Douay-Rheims transluated by Saint Jerome is the Catholic one.

40.png
Susanm:
Actually the Douay-Rheims transluated by Saint Jerome is the Catholic one.
St. Jerome created the Vulgate. Hebrew/Greek into Latin…

The 1970 version New American Bible (NAB) is now the only Bible approved for the Mass in the USA.

While I don’t care for the NAB (particularly the newest version), I do have my favorite Catholic Bibles:

For Bible study: The Revised Standard Edition, Catholic Edition.

For recreational reading: The Jerusalem Bible. (Not the New Jerusalem Bible.

For more intense reading: The Knox Bible (By Msgr. Ronald Knox)

I’m not sure why any Catholic would choose inferior protestant versions like the NIV, the NASB, etc.

40.png
Ric:
The NASB is my favorite Bible for Bible Study! (None better in the English Language for a word for word translation!) 👍

My second favorite for Bible Study is the ESV. 👍

And for just general reading my favorite is the NIV. :cool:
I take it these Bibles are not from from the same authority?

The laundry list of “Translations” of the BIble at the local book store is a sad commentary on the Protestant movement.

Here is a bit of useless info…
Number 6 give to man because GOD created Man on the Sixth Day
Number 7, GOD, because He Completed Creation on the Seventh Day
Number 3, is referred to in the Bible as perfection, no doubt because of the Trinity.

Protestant Bible has 66 Books.
Catholic Bible has 73 Books.

Which one appears to be man made?

Joao

RSV CE 👍

40.png
JoaoMachado:
I take it these Bibles are not from from the same authority?

The laundry list of “Translations” of the BIble at the local book store is a sad commentary on the Protestant movement.
So what it the Bibles are from a “different authority”! Having different translations from different authorities is actually a good thing! With the fact that many different “authorities” are translating the Bible for us gives us a perfect chance to compare the translations and help us make sure we are reading God’s Word without translators biases!
The only reason we would not need many different translations of the Bible is if the had the actual autographs and could read Greek and Hebrew!
40.png
JoaoMachado:
Here is a bit of useless info…
Number 6 give to man because GOD created Man on the Sixth Day
Number 7, GOD, because He Completed Creation on the Seventh Day
Number 3, is referred to in the Bible as perfection, no doubt because of the Trinity.

Protestant Bible has 66 Books.
Catholic Bible has 73 Books.

Which one appears to be man made?

Joao

RSV CE 👍
If you knew, you would not ask that question for you would know that the 66 Books are the only true recognized Word of God!

40.png
Ric:
So what it the Bibles are from a “different authority”! Having different translations from different authorities is actually a good thing! With the fact that many different “authorities” are translating the Bible for us gives us a perfect chance to compare the translations and help us make sure we are reading God’s Word without translators biases!
The only reason we would not need many different translations of the Bible is if the had the actual autographs and could read Greek and Hebrew!
Because there is one GOD, one Savior, one Church one Baptism one Bible.
If you knew, you would not ask that question for you would know that the 66 Books are the only true recognized Word of God!
Perhaps you could tell me? Should I believe you that there is only 66 books? Maybe I should believe Martin Luther? Or maybe I should believe the Church that kept all the Sacred writings, assembled and cannonized them?

Joao

40.png
Ric:

Says who? On what authority do you base that? Is there an inspired “Table of Contents” I don’t know about. As St Augustine said “I would not believe the Scriptures are the Word of God had not the Catholic Church told me so.” 👍

I respectfully suggest you read “Where We Got The Bible” by Henry Graham, available from Catholic Answers. 🙂

George M:
What do you think of the NRSV
It trys to be gender neutral, and replaces words like brothren with brothers and sisters, and also replaces God and Jesus with He. If you want to know more see catholic answers bible translation guide, it goes through the majory ones and gives the pros and cons of each bible.

40.png
Ric:
You must be careful with different translations. Not meaning like from one language to another. But as far as the person doing the traslation. Such as in the Living Bible when the Angel Gabriel comes to see Mary it is translated as Congratulations…like your the hundreth person to come through that door would you like to carry the Lord for nine months? It takes away a lot of the meaning. Also with some versions there is a bias as far as when it comes to having to do with anything that may seem like speaking about “works” words will be changed around to favor the some protestants positions as you don’t need works. And there is only one authority for interpreting the Bible.
40.png
Ric:
If you knew, the catholic with the duetorocanonical books is the correct one, it was accepted as the True Word of God up until the reformation, and then Martin Luther removed them. One of the reasons was because some of them refured to purgatory. He also didn’t like the book of James. There are instances where Jesus was speaking from books that the protestants don’t have. The septuigant(with the duetorocanonical) is what Jesus was raised with. As I am sure you are aware that the Jews didn’t really have a standard OT. Some Jews used only five books from the OT. The jews that were where Jesus was used the septuigant. 😃

They revised the NRSV with Michael Coogan as the editor in 2001 and it still has brothers and sisters but they don’t use he for God or the Lord. They also use mortals rather than man, because they want to direct it to men and woman. I don’t find it to bad.

George M:
They revised the NRSV with Michael Coogan as the editor in 2001 and it still has brothers and sisters but they don’t use he for God or the Lord. They also use mortals rather than man, because they want to direct it to men and woman. I don’t find it to bad.
Well the NRSV that my presbyterian church uses has HE in place of God. Not in all places, but in most.

It’s all about having a complete Bible! --AMEN!

RSV-CE is my top choice.

Navarre Bible - for bible study

I also carry a pocket size New Testament King James. I haven’t been able to find an NAB or RSV-CE pocket size NT. Let me know if you know of one.

For serious study, I would use the RSV-CE, also called the Ignatius Bible. If you want the flavor of Middle English, get the Douay-Rheims. I would steer clear of KJV, NIV, or the other protestant bibles unless your purpose is to understand the differences so you are prepared for apologetical discussions with our non-Catholic bretheren. NASB may be a super translation, but it is missing 7 books and parts of 2 others, making a wonderful, albeit incomplete translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back