Blackout gives New York's governor opportunity to blast New York City's absentee mayor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cathoholic

Guest
NEW YORK CITY

Published 1 hour ago

Blackout gives New York’s governor opportunity to blast New York City’s absentee mayor​

By Brie Stimson | Fox News

One consequence of New York City’s Saturday night blackout: It shined a bright spotlight on the tensions between two prominent Democrats, the city’s mayor and the state’s governor.

As more than 70,000 customers – plus countless tourists and other visitors – dealt with the loss of electricity attributed to a transformer fire, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo blasted New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who was in Iowa campaigning for president when the massive blackout hit Manhattan.

“I can count the number of times I leave the state basically on my fingers,” Cuomo told CNN, responding to a question about the importance of the mayor being in New York during an emergency.

"Mayors are important. And situations like this come up, you know. And you have to be on-site,” he said. “I think it’s important to be in a place where you can always respond. But look, everybody makes their own political judgment and I’m not going to second-guess anyone either. I do my job the way I think I should do my job and I leave it to others to do the same.”

De Blasio was at a campaign stop in Waterloo, Iowa, when an equipment failure at a transformer substation shut off power for tens of thousands of people in his city.

The mayor first told CNN he was mulling whether to return to New York . . . He plans to fly back to the city Sunday morning, a spokesperson said. . . .
 
Last edited:
Not sure of the real need to have the mayor on site.

His duties would be restricted to giving the approval for solutions suggested by others. As long as he could be reached it shouldn’t make a difference.
 
abcus . . . .
Not sure of the real need to have the mayor on site.
I don’t get Cuomo’s thinking on this either.

But it is interesting to observe how the left attacks itself in these instances.
 
Last edited:
Especially in the modern era with the technological means of keeping on top of the issue. If, G-d forbid, there were another terrorist attack, however, that would be different. But a mere blackout? New Yorkers are a tough breed and they can handle the situation themselves.

OTOH, I have no idea what De Blasio is doing on the campaign trail. Is he so delusional he thinks the rest of the country will see him as a great candidate to beat Trump when New Yorkers themselves are, at best, ambivalent about him? What ego and chutzpa these politicians have!
 
Last edited:
His duties would be restricted to giving the approval for solutions suggested by others. As long as he could be reached it shouldn’t make a difference.
And I certainly hope replacing a transformer doesn’t have such bureaucratic red tape that it goes anywhere near the Mayor’s office.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top