Blair Rebukes Chirac In Row Over British Rebate

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
gilliam said:

From the article: “In language reminiscent of the Anglo-French spats when Margaret Thatcher was prime minister, Whitehall sources said Mr Blair was not prepared to take “lectures” from France and Luxembourg, which did much better than Britain out of the EU.”

Alas poor Chirac, the prosecutors in his country are seeking a way around the legislation he had passed to protect him from his previous “doings”, the nation told him no to the EU which he thought would let him control Europe, Iraq has now come back to bite him, – it’s been a bad time. Personally I hope to see Germany loosen its ties with France and move closer to the UK.
German and Swedish champagne are really better anyway!
 
40.png
HagiaSophia:
German and Swedish champagne are really better anyway!
As an aside, this oenophile says that there is not such a thing as German Champagne. The Germans drink Sekt - and yes, it is pretty good. Champagne is appellation-controlleé.

As for Swedish “champagne,” is there such a thing? Do grapes grow in that land of snow?
 
40.png
Richardols:
As an aside, this oenophile says that there is not such a thing as German Champagne. The Germans drink Sekt - and yes, it is pretty good. Champagne is appellation-controlleé.

As for Swedish “champagne,” is there such a thing? Do grapes grow in that land of snow?
Speaking technially, there is only one kind of champagne, which is a white sparkling wine made in the old province of Champagne, France.

Any thing made out side of Champagne, France, is sparkling wine not champagne.
 
40.png
ByzCath:
Speaking technially, there is only one kind of champagne, which is a white sparkling wine made in the old province of Champagne, France.

Any thing made out side of Champagne, France, is sparkling wine not champagne.
Exactly. Real Champagne is strictly Appellation Controlleé, but some swill produced by California bottlers will bear that name.
 
40.png
Richardols:
As an aside, this oenophile says that there is not such a thing as German Champagne. The Germans drink Sekt - and yes, it is pretty good. Champagne is appellation-controlleé.

As for Swedish “champagne,” is there such a thing? Do grapes grow in that land of snow?
There must be a greenhouse somehwere in that northern nation as we received a half dozen bottles of the champagne for two bottles and it was straight from Mt. Olympus. Try as we may, cannot find it anywhere but a Swedish business acquaintance sent it to us as a gift and when I gets to heaven – it’s one of the first things I’m going to order. Fantastic stuff.

I thought the German stuff just excellent and as for swill, I’ve tasted some French champagne that I swear was cleaned out from a pickle barrel. Phew! Talk bad vinegar.
 
40.png
ByzCath:
Any thing made out side of Champagne, France, is sparkling wine not champagne.
Well we thought so too, but both the German and the Swedish were “labelled” and I must say we preferred them both although Moet is good stuff.
 
40.png
HagiaSophia:
as for swill, I’ve tasted some French champagne that I swear was cleaned out from a pickle barrel. Phew! Talk bad vinegar.
There’s the saying that the best wines in the world and the worst wines in the world both come from France. Your experience testifies to that!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top