E
Ed_Rand
Guest
Not at all. I think people should follow your advice if they feel moved by your arguments. On the other hand, some priests encourage this practice and those who wish to do this should do it. In essence, what I’m advocating is that people not take you so seriously. I’m advocating that people follow the norms of their parish and not go on some Crusade as if extra blessings will somehow ruin the mass.So then, Ed, you are advocating that we completely disregard what the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has reiterated and just enjoy the Mass? The Mass is not some free form exercise in creativity.
I imagine your “shoulds” regarding the mass are very plentiful. I already said that I believe you are probably right in that this practice may be frowned upon in official circles. Nonetheless, my priest was a canon lawyer and he enjoys blessing the children. In all seriousness benedictgal, I thank God that your attitude is not the dominant one in the Church. I just ask you to lighten up a bit, that’s all. The rules of the mass should not be the focus.The parental blessing that you speak of is vastly different. I am from Laredo, just across the Rio Grande from Mexco and the parental blessings that I have seen do not occur within the context of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Rather than mimic the priest, the parents that you describe should use this as a teaching moment and instruct their children on how to do the sign of the Cross.