BOOKS: "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
rosey:
This book is required summer reading at our Catholic High School. I don’t know much about it, other than the author also wrote the “DaVinci Code”. Any suggestions?
Find out the intent behind having them read the book.
40.png
ShamHy89:
The book just wasn’t believable. Far too fantastic to be taken as serious or informative literature. Shamus:)
You didn’t think it was believable for Langdon to jump from a helicopter several thousand feet in the air, with no parachute and survive??? Skeptic… LOL I just finished reading it. It was entertaining, a little silly, hardly believable.
 
If angels and demons causes such fear , why don’t you just burn it when it enters your home?

If a student who has already been confirmed for a number of years can’t handle the evil despite being written in a seventh grade venacular, then this book is a true threat that must be stopped!!

Peace
 
Rosey

Are you sure your son is supposed to be reading Angles and Demons by Dan Brown and not Angles and Demons by Peter Kreeft.

Mr Kreeft’s book is a nice reference work very appropriate for a catholic school,

Scott
 
The “Da Vinci Code” was not Dan Brown first assult on the Church. It started with his “Angels & Demons” book. For those of you have read either book, they both have “Robert Langdon” the so-called expert in symbology.

“Angels & Demons” has been reprinted in paperback and who knows if it will be turned to a movie. It is no less Anti-Catholic than the “Da Vinci Code”.

*I’ve found this great site which *demolishes the myths ** of Dan Brown’s “Angels & Demons” in 7 web pages:

thedavincicodedemolished.com/Angels-Demons-1.html
 
Thanks for the info. Nice domain name, I took one too 😃

www.DaVinciFraud.com

(also .net .org)

I need to put something on the page in the middle…hopefully before the movie comes out.

Phil P
 
Wow, that sure is a great job of proving fiction false. Almost as good as that article I read about how fake the Lord of the Rings series is. Elves and Wizards? Puh-lease!
 
"Brown purports to be a “real” historian and claims that his novel is based upon “proven” facts. He admits that he is trying to create a new theology. On ABC’s “20/20,” Brown spoke of “conversion to a new Christianity,” and he saw himself as on a mission to bring his religious message to America."

thedavincicodedemolished.com/index.html

JUST Fiction? I think NOT !
 
I read Angels and Demons in Barnes & Noble, in about 2.94 hours. It had some interesting thoughts on God, science, and the apparent conflict between the two and how such conflict could be resolved.
 
I read it too.

These are not just “interesting thoughts”. These are a veritable assult on Christ and the Church.
  • We worship the Sun
  • We stole the Cross from the Egyptians
  • Early Christians fed their dead with libation tubes
  • We stole the Eucharist from the Aztecks
and a whole lot more…

The is an attack on the TRUTH and one cannot remain silent about it!

thedavincicodedemolished.com/index.html
 
The History Channel is having a show on the book Angels and Demons

The things that stood out to me as false is

The Church says Peter is the first Pope because he was the first to see Christ after the resurrection, which you only have to look at the Bible to see is false.- By one of the authors of the “Templar Revelation”

The Church controlled every aspect of people’s lives in a medieval society, and of course this power was lost with the advent of democracy and freedom" - Jim Marrs ( I couldn’t remember his name, or the book he wrote)

One of the things the church has in its secret archives are the dozens upon dozens of other gospels that would destroy it if they came to light.-Again, the author of the “Templar Revelation”

These are just the ones that jumped out to me, any of you all see it or have anything to say on it

A lone Raven
 
Another

“in time there came an even greater enemy of the Church, science”

There was also a thing earlier about the Church being anti-science and from its very beginning was against sceintist.

A lone Raven

“The Church burnt Bruno at the stake for believing the Earth revolved around the sun”
 
Also, one of my biggest problems is they are using Dan Browns wife as a expert on art history.

It was my understanding that she helped him research the “facts” for the Da Vinci Code. How credible can she be?

Plus she is obviously biased.

A lone Raven
 
I’ve never read the book, although my very liberal boss once read a passage where the priest was saying something, and that’s the only exposure I’ve had.

However, I never watch documentaries anymore because of how anti-Catholic tv has become. I don’t know what to believe half the time and it angers me when they say something blatantly false and accusatory against the Church. Someday, truth will be restored! 🙂
 
Dan Brown has earned millions for his mistakes in Da Vinci and in Angels and Demons. Both those books are full fetid mental wanderings, lack of historical accuracy and truth, his imagined events and so forth. To qoute Father Bob Levis, “He is merely one of the latest to enjoy great materialistic success in attacking Gospel truth and Catholic doctrine.” And Christianity in general. There is a man that needs prayers. This movie is similar to Roth Hochhuth’s “The Deputy”, which defamed the Catholic Church and Pope Pius XII.
 
From watching his wife, I am actually pretty convinced that he believes those things are true, because of how adamant she is that artists from the past are creative and secretive geniuses who are promoting the truth that the Church represses.

I guess after years of listening to that, and having her “help” with the research then it would be hard not to have his books reflect it.

Dan Brown is in my prayers.

A lone Raven
 
I read “Angels and Demons” (in about 2 hours). I didn’t think it was anti-Catholic, as Keating suggests. Anyone else read it?
 
I have the book in the house somewhere. I thought it was better than DVC.

I can’t believe people are still talking about Dan Brown.

Where are his “believers” anyway? Do they get together?
 
I read “Angels and Demons” (in about 2 hours). I didn’t think it was anti-Catholic, as Keating suggests. Anyone else read it?
👋

I read it (as with The DaVinci Code, borrowed from the public library – No sense putting $$ in Dan Brown’s pocket 😉 ), and I am probably repeating here what I have written elsewhere in this and other fora.

I must say, I did not find nearly so anti-Catholic as *The DaVinci Code *-- In that work the Church is a positively sinister body. In *Angels & Demons *she is merely a backdrop and at worst morally neutral – Sure, she removed all the pagan statuary from the Pantheon, but she has preserved much of the same in her museums, which makes her worthwhile to save from destruction in the protagonist’s eyes.

A&D does contain many laughable inaccuracies, plenty of them having to do with the procedures during the interregnum of the papacy. But one of the very best is the big deal made about and repeated references to the “secret passetto” between the Vatican and Castel S Angelo. Secret? Secret!? Do you suppose he is referring to the big aqueduct-looking thing that runs down the *Via del Corridori *(hint: it means “Passageway Street”)? The bigger than the broadside of a barn structure that is identified by any Roman tour book, and if it isn’t you ought to demand your money back from the shyster travel agent who sold it to you?? The one that can be seen from outer space!??? :rotfl:

And finally, A&D is the source of one of my favorite quotes:
“Conspiracy buffs,” Langdon replied. He had always been annoyed by the plethora of conspiracy theories that circulated in modern pop culture. The media craved apocalyptic headlines, and self-proclaimed “cult specialists” were still cashing in on millennium hype with fabricated stories that the illuminati were alive and well and organizing their New World Order. Recently the *New York Times *had reported the eerie Masonic ties of countless famous men – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the Duke of Kent, Peter Sellers, Irving Berlin, Prince Philip, Louis Armstrong, as well as a pantheon of well-known modern-day industrialists and banking magnates.
Pretty well sums up my opinion of Dan Brown. 😛

tee
armchair “literary” critic
who secretly wishes Peter Sellers or Louis Armstrong would have seized world power when they had the chance 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top