O
OriginalJS
Guest
Dan Brown wrote “Angels and Demons” before he wrote “The Da Vinci Code.” It is more poorly written than the DaVinci Code and is even more implausible (if that’s possible for some of you to believe.) I don’t think it is anti-catholic. I think he just uses the Church as a foil for his wild meanderings.
I may be off base, but I just can’t get excited about either of these books. They remind me of one of those comic histories of the world, or of the United States. They are entertaining but nobody would take them seriously, anymore than you would take a Saturday Night Live skit with an actor playing a high government official seriously.
I feel like some very serious and well-meaning people are overreacting. When I was growing up in the 50s, our parents were concerned that we were all going to be led permanently astray by offensive comic books (younger people, don’t laugh!). There were parental committees formed and organizations pulled together to stamp out offensive comic books! I used to look forward to going to a certain barber shop because he had every offensive comic book he could find - they brought in customers.
To my mind, Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code are in about the same league as those old comic books. Although, Brown’s books may not be quite as well written.
I may be off base, but I just can’t get excited about either of these books. They remind me of one of those comic histories of the world, or of the United States. They are entertaining but nobody would take them seriously, anymore than you would take a Saturday Night Live skit with an actor playing a high government official seriously.
I feel like some very serious and well-meaning people are overreacting. When I was growing up in the 50s, our parents were concerned that we were all going to be led permanently astray by offensive comic books (younger people, don’t laugh!). There were parental committees formed and organizations pulled together to stamp out offensive comic books! I used to look forward to going to a certain barber shop because he had every offensive comic book he could find - they brought in customers.
To my mind, Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code are in about the same league as those old comic books. Although, Brown’s books may not be quite as well written.