BOOKS: "Christ the Lord" - Ann Rice

  • Thread starter Thread starter BeeSweet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Christ the Lord there is a scene where Jesus is threatened by a bully and kills him then brings him back to life. Ummm Thinking that’s a bit heretical… Not really comfortable with a Jesus who could get so upset he kills someone.Even the child Jesus.
There is also a story like that in one of the ā€œlost gospelsā€, Thomas I think. And I believe that she got some of her information for the books from some of those books that didn’t make it into our Bible.
 
I just read Christ the Lord Out of Egypt and Out of Cana back to back.
The tone changed from one book to the next. The first felt lightly and cautiously overlaid with fiction. The second book felt uninhibited and heavily laden with fiction. Somehow - because of the way she wrote the two different books they did not feel in balance with each other.
Many will not appreciate having their minds directed into thoughts that Jesus might have had – particularly feelings of romance, affection and infatuation with a woman or man. I sensed that Anne Rice was suggesting that Jesus was ā€˜eying’ a man as well.
 
Considering how she used to write its horrible. I was sooo disappointed and SO glad I didn’t waste my money on buying it like I did her last Vampire Chronicle (which was awefully written btw). The story itself is tolerable but she’s lost soooo much as an author the last 5 years or so…since her husband died really. I doubt I’ll read any new ones she comes out, even if she does write the last Vampire Chronicle like the rumors say she’s going to do. I’m a huge fan of the Chronicles…and most of her other books really…but the last two have been soooo disappointing. She’s just lost her touch I think.
 
Read The Road to Cana. As long as one keeps in mind that it is fiction, it can be an enjoyable read. Am not familiar with her Vampire series, though I have seen the movie adaptations.

Her fictional portrayal of the Wedding feast at Cana actually lead me to a possible understanding of a question I have wondered all along about the biblical account. And she did write from a Catholic perspective about the family life of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. She took her position from a belief of many of the early Church fathers about the relationship of Jesus with his ā€œbrothersā€ and ā€œsistersā€.

Road to Cana is a good read.
 
I’ve read Out of Egypt and Road To Cana.

I thought both were very good. I never cared for her Vampire books, which were just too over written for my taste. These books she keeps fairly lean. I thought the scene in Cana having to do with Satan tempting Christ in the desert was especially good.

As for the Jesus ā€œlikingā€ a girl, it was more like that he loved her very much but knew that it could not be. I thought it was an interesting exploration of a possibility and handled with some delicacy. 🤷
 
The description of our Lord being tempted in the desert was so moving - gave me a reminder (that I desperately needed at the time) that Jesus is divine - but really gets what it’s like to be human.
 
I just finished ā€œthe road to cana.ā€ I haven’t read the first book yet.

I LOVED it! For me it brought the gospel to life. Especially the character development. For example, I never really thought about who the couple was at the wedding feast in Cana. I think that the book has given me this sense that I can get closer to the gospels by focusing some of my attention on all the people in the stories.

I especially loved the 40 days in the desert, the way the temptations were described, and especially the rejection of it and Jesus leaving the desert.

The Miracle at Cana was also done very well. It left me sobbing in a public train station on my way to work this morning as I finished the book. What a site i must have been!

I plan on reading the first book now.

PS. I went to the Anne Rice website and there is a very glowing review of the book by well known Catholic philosopher, Peter Kreeft. He calls it a masterpiece.

PPS. When I started the book and realized that it was written in the first person, I remember being apprehensive about it and thinking that the author wouldn’t be able to pull it off. But by about 1/4 of the way through I really starting enjoying it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top