BOOKS: The Purpose Driven Life

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mother_s_helper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to all you wonderful people in our beautiful Body of Christ. All your reviews on THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE are most appreciated as I read a few pages and liked what I read (who could disagree that in order to find purpose in life we need to move our focus away from our own selfish goals and onto God’s plans for us?) The author seems to hve a persuasive way of writing especially to the unchurched or fallen away. However, I was not aware of some of the other info some of you more familiar with the book shared on it and I wanted to be aware of what my older kids are reading. All of them have been discipled from their youth in devout Catholic community daily mass etc. But it has become more difficult to protect this faith as they have grown older, now aged 16, 17, 20 and 22.

So the reviews you all gave of this book are appreciated and the suggestions to read THE SINNER’s GUIDE and THE DEVOUT LIFE.

And there is another book that was given as a Christmas present–that I am interested if anyone has read LIFE OF PI by Yann Martel, another N.Y. Times notable book. My 17 year old son started to read it and has made some comments on how it all the different religions are made reference to. I told him to old off reading it for awhile and catch up on his school work first. If any of you kind people have any insights to share on this book, I’d greatly appreciate it. :confused: Thanks M.h
 
Is this book acceptable? A friend gave it to me and it looks good but I don’t know if it has anything contrary to the teachings of the church.
maggiec
 
Thank you so much for the links. I should have thought of doing a search.
God bless,
maggiec
 
Has anyone read this book?
What can you tell me about it? Since it was not written by a Catholic is it something Catholics shouldn’t waste their time with?
Thanks in advance!
 
Not everything written by a noncatholic is bad (wink, wink). I haven’t read it, but I have read bits and pieces from articles. I think it makes some good points and sounds like something worth a read.
 
Sorry if I made the implication that it was “bad”!
It’s just that I came across a quote attributed to “the purpose driven life”'s author that said:

“You are not an accident.
Your parents may not have planned you, but God did.
He wanted you alive and created you for a purpose.
Focusing on yourself will never reveal your purpose.
You were made by God and for God, and
until you understand that,
life will never make sense.
Only in God do we discover our origin,
our identity,
our meaning,
our purpose,
our significance,
and our destiny.”

I thought this was a beautiful quote and it made me curious about the book. 🙂
 
I too have read that quote, I think it would be worth a trip to the library and is actually on my list-Just that statement alone is enough food for thought and I would like to hear more of what the author has to say. If nothing else-That particular quote is a keeper 🙂
40.png
Carolyn:
Sorry if I made the implication that it was “bad”!
It’s just that I came across a quote attributed to “the purpose driven life”'s author that said:

“You are not an accident.
Your parents may not have planned you, but God did.
He wanted you alive and created you for a purpose.
Focusing on yourself will never reveal your purpose.
You were made by God and for God, and
until you understand that,
life will never make sense.
Only in God do we discover our origin,
our identity,
our meaning,
our purpose,
our significance,
and our destiny.”

I thought this was a beautiful quote and it made me curious about the book. 🙂
 
My wife and I read it…It had it’s good points. but was very basic I really couldn’t recommend you spending your time on it with so much better reading material out there!
Having said that it could be good for an unchurched person that has some kinda protestant background.
 
I read it and I loved it. The simplicity and sucinctness of the message is beautiful. The book helped me to turn my life around. It motivated me to pick up my Bible every night and read it. I’ve only begun practicing my Catholic faith for about two years, and I read this book last year. I really liked it because the message was based on scripture… something I can relate to and sink my teeth into, not knowing the full “Tradition” of the Church. So I agree with the previous poster that this is a good book for a beginner.

I do have to say that it did answer that seemingly unanswerable question “what is the meaning of life?”, and more importantly, “what were you put on this earth for?”

I should also add that I’m in a (Catholic) Church sponsored bible study that is based on this book.

Go ahead and pick it up, I’d love to hear your comments on it when you are done reading it!!
 
My girlfriend called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that she was reading this book and was sooo excited because she “finally gets it!” It has changed her from a person with no interest in religion or understanding of God to someone who’s “on fire with the faith.” Now she’s asking me about the Catholic faith.

Because of this, I think Mr. Warren’s book is not a bad thing. 👍
 
I haven’t read it, but from what I hear, it has a bit of a Calvanistic slant. There are some more in line with Catholic thinking, which I don’t really know what they are, I didn’t take that much time to research. If you think your going to get something good out of it, why not try it? Then maybe you can help share some experiance with it with a Protestant friend. Sometimes its good to read Christian non-Catholic books, to give you a bit from their point-of-view.
 
40.png
Tonks40:
My girlfriend called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that she was reading this book and was sooo excited because she “finally gets it!” It has changed her from a person with no interest in religion or understanding of God to someone who’s “on fire with the faith.” Now she’s asking me about the Catholic faith.

Because of this, I think Mr. Warren’s book is not a bad thing. 👍
Thats cool…I like the book myself…we sometimes need to remember people can be positively influenced by gentle reminders / examples of faith. 🙂
 
I read it and **then **I heard a review by a Catholic author. Basically there are some very good points in the book. Obviously it elevates people to recognize God in their lives. It does have some subtle anti-Catholic points and it does not mention sacraments in the same way a Catholic author would.

Personally I am a strong enough Catholic and I loved reading the book. There is the thought that if you read something that is not by a Catholic author then you waste your time. I don’t think that way, and I read almost everything out there. I liked it.
 
Did you hear that Starbucks beginning early next year will be printing some of the author of this book, inspirational messages on their coffee cups? That’s better than some of the stuff that is printed these days, don’t you agree?
 
Jmj

Carolyn, if you enjoy reading – this is definitely not a bad book to pick up and read! It is highly regimented though; it is divided not into chapters exactly… more like “days.” You are supposed to read one day at a time – and be committed to this regiment. (I found myself feeling a little guilty for skipping a day and reading two the next! lol) And though I am not good (at ALL) about reviewing books - I (personally) really enjoyed it.

That being said… as you noted, this book is by a non-Catholic Christian. So, is it “safe” to read for a Catholic who might not know their faith too well? I would say, “Yes.” If you keep in mind that the book is written by a Protestant, you shouldn’t have to worry too much.

I am very… how should I phrase this??? I am “hyper-sensitive” to anti-Catholicism. Truly. Even if it is just regular Protestant doctrine being preached (books, conversations, or whatever) – I am always overly aware of it! It usually takes a conscious effort for me to see past the Protestant doctrine and hear or focus on the good things being said. But, I often do (hear and learn good things from Protestants.) And I’ve been going out of my way to get better at it - in the interest of being ecumenical.

Having said that… I didn’t really have to make that much of an effort when reading this book. I (for the most part) could just relax, read it, and learn from some of the great concepts and illustrations this book has to offer.

It is a popular title for a reason! And aside from the issue of patronizing non-Catholic businesses (like Zondervan – where this book comes from) - I think the average Catholic could stand to gain a lot from this book! If you would prefer to support Catholic book companies and publishers… maybe you could pick this book up at a library and read it? Then you’re not actually purchasing the book and supporting a non-Catholic business. I don’t know. Just my two cents!

Stbruno, I didn’t hear that… but it’s very interesting! They could be printing messages from Tim LaHaye or maybe that scholar-guy I’ve been hearing so much about… Dan Brown! 😉

May the Lord be with you!

Jason
 
Jmj

Carolyn, if you enjoy reading – this is definitely not a bad book to pick up and read! It is highly regimented though; it is divided not into chapters exactly… more like “days.” You are supposed to read one day at a time – and be committed to this regiment. (I found myself feeling a little guilty for skipping a day and reading two the next! lol) And though I am not good (at ALL) about reviewing books - I (personally) really enjoyed it.

As you noted, this book is by a non-Catholic Christian. So, a good question to ask is: “Is it “safe” to read - for a Catholic who might not know their faith too well?” I would say, “Yes.” If you keep in mind that the book is written by a Protestant, you shouldn’t have to worry too much.

I am very… how should I phrase this??? I am very “hyper-sensitive” when it comes to anti-Catholicism. Truly. Even if it is just regular Protestant doctrine being preached (books, conversations, or whatever) – I am always overly aware of it! It usually takes a conscious effort for me to see past the Protestant doctrine and hear or focus on the good things being said. But, I do try! And I have learned a lot from different Protestant ministers and theologians (particularly authors.)

Having said that… I didn’t really have to make that much of an effort when reading this book. I (for the most part) could just relax, read it, and learn from some of the great concepts and illustrations this book has to offer!

It is a popular title for a reason! And aside from the issue of patronizing non-Catholic businesses (like Zondervan – where this book comes from) - I think the average Catholic could stand to gain a lot from this book! If you would prefer to support Catholic book companies and publishers… maybe you could pick this book up at a library and read it? Then you’re not actually purchasing the book and supporting a non-Catholic business. I don’t know. Just my two cents!

Stbruno, I didn’t hear that… but it’s very interesting! They could be printing messages from Tim LaHaye or maybe that scholar-guy I’ve been hearing so much about… Dan Brown! 😉

May the Lord be with you!

Jason
 
Carolyn,

It depends on your reason for wanting to read the book. If you are looking for some basically harmless non-Catholic Christian inspirational reading it would probably be fine. It is marketed, however, as a book to read if you are discerning God’s plan for you. Many Protestants have a very different idea about vocation than we do. If you are looking for help in discerning God’s plan from a Catholic perspective, I have heard several recommendations for Rick Sarkasian’s book “LifeWork- Finding Your Purpose in Life.” It is touted as the Catholic PDL but does not come with all the marketing add-ons.
 
Cute, feel good, if somewhat obvious message.

As with most non-Catholic writing, it seemed to lack the depth of so much Catholic literature.

But it isn’t bad by any means, just only so deep.

I compare it to a typical Protesant sermon versus a talk by someone like Fr. Corapi. Just more “meat” in the latter.
 
40.png
jman507:
I haven’t read it, but from what I hear, it has a bit of a Calvanistic slant. There are some more in line with Catholic thinking, which I don’t really know what they are, I didn’t take that much time to research. If you think your going to get something good out of it, why not try it? Then maybe you can help share some experiance with it with a Protestant friend. Sometimes its good to read Christian non-Catholic books, to give you a bit from their point-of-view.
Guess I am not as astute as some. I was not looking for anything that might be anti-Catholic (even subtlely) and I found none. I was not looking to something from a Protestant point of view, and if it was there, I was able to overlook it because of the wonderful message it delivered. I highly recommend it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top