Unfortunate, but necessary, way to go Boris. Why did Brexiteers trust May for so long I wonder. As England climbs in football it descends in politics…or is it climbing in football, that remains to be seen, what a double whammy if they go down to Croatia.Nigel Farage’s Twitter feed:
Boris Johnson now has the chance to save Brexit, he will be a hero if he walks away from the betrayal of voters’ trust. 6 hours ago
Bravo @BorisJohnson. Now can we please get rid of the appalling @theresa_may and get Brexit back on track. 4 hours ago
Boris is a clown. This is the same Boris who wanted to expand the EU before seeing an opportunity to make himself PM.Boris Johnson
Because more radical Unionists would start trouble.Incredible as it seems to those who suffered through The Troubles. Now that they may have the opportunity to unify the entire island, it’s interesting that the Irish government in Dublin doesn’t exactly sound enthusiastic about it.
This is exactly right. The EU does not have anywhere near the long term stability and permanency that so many players in this just rather automatically grant it; I am not sure why. And independent Britain would survive. I don’t think May is adept at handling the Brexit/EU negotiations at all. She tends to misread situations with bad results - Brexit, the general election, Trump, the EU, now this Chequers fiasco - I think it is safe to say we have a pattern here now. I liked her at first but this is strike three, maybe four.It is the EU that is in deep trouble. The fissures are already there for anyone with the eyes open to seeing them; none of them will be resolved any time soon, heck they may not be resolved peacefully. The UK is really going to be better off not getting dragged down with the EU. I think ‘hard Brexit’ is becoming inevitable and will not be the disaster for the UK that so many have forecast.
My problem with May (as someone watching this unfold from afar with no skin in the game) is what kind of person would take the job of executing something as monumental as Brexit if it went against their own principles and she felt it would be bad for the UK economy? Also she seems waffling and ineffectual.This is exactly right. The EU does not have anywhere near the long term stability and permanency that so many players in this just rather automatically grant it; I am not sure why. And independent Britain would survive. I don’t think May is adept at handling the Brexit/EU negotiations at all. She tends to misread situations with bad results - Brexit, the general election, Trump, the EU, now this Chequers fiasco - I think it is safe to say we have a pattern here now. I liked her at first but this is strike three, maybe four.
When has a government ever just abandoned a claim to tax all people, things and activities on a piece of land? Maybe it has happened but it would have to be some pretty worthless land and people.Biggest issue at this point in time is the Irish border as it isn’t secured and will need to be at great expense in order to carry this off. Hence I wouldn’t be surprised to find Northern Ireland let go and allowed to unify with Ireland.
More likely she gets out and Corbyn gets in.Get May out, and get UKIP in power!
God, I hope not. I hope the likes of Count Dankula and Sargon of Akkad can convince enough folks to make UKIP a real presence. I say all this as an American, too.More likely she gets out and Corbyn gets in.
Never a truer word spoken.Boris is a clown.
Do you have a source for that? Johnson was going to run, but was knifed in the back by Gove at the last minute so had to withdraw.Boris Johnson was going to be the PM, but that was unacceptable to the powers behind the Tories
Magic, unicorns, sunset uplands, smoke and mirrors . . . .What makes you so confident that Britain will be fine after a hard Brexit?
The Remainers didn’t want Johnson to run; Gove was the knife they used. May was much softer on Brexit and that is what the Remainers leadership wanted. She did her job the way they wanted her to. Now it’s just a matter of shoring up May’s support. Watch who they name to replace the ministers who resigned. That will be your clue as to who’s in charge.Do you have a source for that? Johnson was going to run, but was knifed in the back by Gove at the last minute so had to withdraw.