Boyfriend and Sex

  • Thread starter Thread starter contch81
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course women still bear their own responsibility, but I again refer back to the fathers of daughters, if women end up with wrong men it is at least partly the fault of their fathers, either they have not instilled confidence in their daughters to be true to their femininity or they have not educated them in what to look for in a man and what to avoid, have not set a good example themselves, have not nurtured their daughters respect towards them as their father, or have not worked hard enough to protect their daughter from the wrong type of man, etc.
I lost my dad to cancer at 9. I had a verbally abusive BIL raise me. Now, we get along, I have forgiven the wrongs he did…BUT…back then? I felt very lost, and looked to guys for the love I missed with my dad. I did not have sex until I married, however…but, I still looked for love. You are right there. It’s an important message.*
 
That makes sense, if you ignore the reality of free will. A father could raise his daughter absolutely perfectly, and yet there will still always be a small chance that the daughter makes a decision completely on her own to involve herself with a bad guy later on in spite of all that.
Yes, that always surprises me. I also wonder if peer pressure gets the best of some. I do highly agree with fathers instilling value in their daughters so they don’t so seeking it in some random stranger. C’est vrai!!!
 
That makes sense, if you ignore the reality of free will. A father could raise his daughter absolutely perfectly, and yet there will still always be a small chance that the daughter makes a decision completely on her own to involve herself with a bad guy later on in spite of all that.
It doesn’t ignore free will at all, how we exercise our free will is decided based on our previous experiences combined with social influences present at the time of the decision.

The rest is just speculation as you would never know if such a daughter was really raised perfectly, if perfection is even possible, which I imagine it is not.
 
Yes, that always surprises me. I also wonder if peer pressure gets the best of some. I do highly agree with fathers instilling value in their daughters so they don’t so seeking it in some random stranger. C’est vrai!!!
If peer pressure gets to them that would be a failure of the parents for allowing that to happen.
 
Hello, I am new to this forum. i am a 28 year old girl and I have had times in my life where i am really spiritual, saying the rosary daily, mass, etc. UNfortunately i have had a boyfriend for four years who is pretty much agnostic. He doesnt believe or understand that your not supposed to have sexual activity until marriage. He also says it is part of us and our relationship and how he feels close to me. besides the fact that it feels good to him obviousally. but he is so manipulative and is threatening me saying im so unstable and horrible to do this to him. I keep deciding i want to have no sex and be holy and i go to confession and i m good for like a week. and then ig ive in. its happened like four times. he makes me feel so guilty and i also feel like ill never find a guy my age around here who is willing to not have sexual activity nless of course they were holy also. My point is, how do i deal with my bf threatening to leave me and go meet another girl since I try to be good and religious? It would kill me. i also feel like sometimes I mess up with sin. such as Ill end up getting to drunk or something. then i m like, “oh well just commited a mortal sin anyway, might as well give into him” does God look at all the times we try to be good? Its confusing. i just feel like i keep messing up why even try.
It probably would be hard to find a man who was willing to wait for marriage. I don’t really know how you can “deal” with it. If your boyfriend is unwilling to wait, and says he’ll leave you if there is no sex then you either have to accept that he might well leave you and stick to your religious beliefs or have sex with him and sacrifice your beliefs.

Only you can know what is more important to you, a higher chance of staying with this man, or sticking to your beliefs.
 
If peer pressure gets to them that would be a failure of the parents for allowing that to happen.
Parents can only raise their kids to a certain point…once they become adults…they make their own choices…they live their own lives, have their own experiences. I’d like to think that if a parent raises his/her kids in the faith, and raises them well…they will make the right decisions. But, I think it’s a bit unfair to say that if a parent’s adult son/daughter makes a bad choice, it was somehow directly the parent’s fault. Part of life is in making mistakes…and learning from them. Christ wouldn’t have given us confession, if He thought we would never fall. :o
 
combined with social influences present at the time of the decision.
And this part would be the father’s fault HOW? You seem to be under the impression that parents have some kind of omnipotent control over everything their children do, even after they reach adulthood.
 
If peer pressure gets to them that would be a failure of the parents for allowing that to happen.
I’m sorry-I don’t follow this. Wouldn’t it be the failure of themselves for letting the peer pressure get to them? Shouldn’t a male or female be responsible for their own actions?
 
I’m sorry-I don’t follow this. Wouldn’t it be the failure of themselves for letting the peer pressure get to them? Shouldn’t a male or female be responsible for their own actions?
Just because a child is responsible for their own actions does not mean the parents are not also. It is up to the parent to give the child the strength to cope with peer pressure, try and protect them from harmful peer pressure and teach the child to avoid the company of bad peers who would pressure them into doing wrong.
 
And this part would be the father’s fault HOW? You seem to be under the impression that parents have some kind of omnipotent control over everything their children do, even after they reach adulthood.
The child becomes the adult, the adult is the product of childhood experiences. Furthermore parents do still maintain a great deal of influence with their adult children if that child had a good childhood.
 
The child becomes the adult, the adult is the product of childhood experiences.
In part, yes. But to say that’s the ONLY thing that shapes them is just naive and overly simplistic.
Furthermore parents do still maintain a great deal of influence with their adult children if that child had a good childhood.
A “great deal of influence” isn’t the same thing as complete control.
 
Just because a child is responsible for their own actions does not mean the parents are not also. It is up to the parent to give the child the strength to cope with peer pressure, try and protect them from harmful peer pressure and teach the child to avoid the company of bad peers who would pressure them into doing wrong.
I’d like to agree with you on this, but I think parents get a bad rap in this society when they are blamed for the actions of their children.

I see your point.
 
My point is, how do i deal with my bf threatening to leave me and go meet another girl since I try to be good and religious? It would kill me.
You buy yourself an airline ticket to some far off place and go there.

It’s time to walk away.

If he loves you, he will come and get you and propose.

If he goes off and gets another girl, you have lost nothing but a selfish person who just wants the sex.

It wont kill you. It will hurt like hell, but gee whizz, how many more years of your life are you willing to sacrifice to this man. Get some self respect back and take ownership of your own life.

I am continually staggered by how many girls keep giving away the years of their lives to men who are made content because the girls just don’t get what it is they are giving, and giving up, when they climb into the sack unmarried.

Slow learners.
 
I am continually staggered by how many girls keep giving away the years of their lives to men who are made content because the girls just don’t get what it is they are giving, and giving up, when they climb into the sack unmarried.

Slow learners.
Hey-not cool man. It’s a bit more complicated than that.

Don’t call them that though.
 
Hey-not cool man. It’s a bit more complicated than that.

Don’t call them that though.
Well, it’s true in a lot of ways, and I’m a female. Not the best way to phrase it, but sometimes it takes a lot for the girls to actually see the truth. I’ve been there, friends have been there, many clients I work with now are there (I’m a therapist). Sometimes we hold onto the notion that sex somehow equals love.

As for the OP…I’ve been in the phase that you’re in right now. You know it’s wrong, you don’t want to leave because it will hurt, you probably see a number of “good qualities” in him. However, it’s going to be worse in the long run if you stay. He doesn’t respect you. He’s contributing to your sins.

I’m currently searching for a good Catholic man myself, and I just turned 30 (literally…yesterday). Once you are able to get yourself out of this relationship and take time to heal, there are other places to find good men. Church, Catholic dating sites, etc. You know what you need to do. If you are looking for others to convince you further, re-read these posts. Prayers for you.
 
Hey, girl.

You and your man stand at two different places. Either you will go his way and have sex, or he will come your way and come to love the God you love. You will never be at rest if you keep compromising… I’ve been there.

It’s the hardest decision you may ever have to make, but trust that God has better things for you. If you love your boyfriend, know that God has what is best for him and also for you. And God’s best does not involve premarital sex. You have to follow what God is telling you, no matter what the cost or the hurt. I promise you, you will not regret sacrificing for the greater good.

Love the God who loves you. Move on from your boyfriend. Make your choice, stand your ground.
 
Well, it’s true in a lot of ways, and I’m a female. Not the best way to phrase it, but sometimes it takes a lot for the girls to actually see the truth. I’ve been there, friends have been there, many clients I work with now are there (I’m a therapist). Sometimes we hold onto the notion that sex somehow equals love.
Well, it might be true-but there are alot better ways to talk about it.
 
Well, it’s true in a lot of ways, and I’m a female. Not the best way to phrase it, but sometimes it takes a lot for the girls to actually see the truth. I’ve been there, friends have been there, many clients I work with now are there (I’m a therapist). Sometimes we hold onto the notion that sex somehow equals love.

.
Well, it might be true-but there are alot better ways to phrase it.

Too many catholics think “truth” is a license to be snotty, cruel, and self righteous.

Also-I’m sure your a great therapist, (and I mean that sincerely)-but when you claim that you understand something better or know more about X-and you very well might-it is a classic logical fallacy, called the appeal to authority. You probably are a wonderful therapist, but there are still things that might not be your speciality, even in the therapist field.
 
Hello, I am new to this forum. i am a 28 year old girl and I have had times in my life where i am really spiritual, saying the rosary daily, mass, etc. UNfortunately i have had a boyfriend for four years who is pretty much agnostic. He doesnt believe or understand that your not supposed to have sexual activity until marriage. He also says it is part of us and our relationship and how he feels close to me. besides the fact that it feels good to him obviousally. but he is so manipulative and is threatening me saying im so unstable and horrible to do this to him. I keep deciding i want to have no sex and be holy and i go to confession and i m good for like a week. and then ig ive in. its happened like four times. he makes me feel so guilty and i also feel like ill never find a guy my age around here who is willing to not have sexual activity nless of course they were holy also. My point is, how do i deal with my bf threatening to leave me and go meet another girl since I try to be good and religious? It would kill me. i also feel like sometimes I mess up with sin. such as Ill end up getting to drunk or something. then i m like, “oh well just commited a mortal sin anyway, might as well give into him” does God look at all the times we try to be good? Its confusing. i just feel like i keep messing up why even try.
If you cannot keep yourself from sin and your boyfriend has no respect for you and your intentions you should probably separate from him. Either until you get yourself under control or permanently. Start over with another guy and be strong about keeping sex out of the relationship from the beginning. This is not a good guy who would threaten you over this. What else does he force you into? What else do you allow others to browbeat you into doing? Go speak with a priest , go to confession and get some advice. .
 
Well, it might be true-but there are alot better ways to phrase it.

Too many catholics think “truth” is a license to be snotty, cruel, and self righteous.

Also-I’m sure your a great therapist, (and I mean that sincerely)-but when you claim that you understand something better or know more about X-and you very well might-it is a classic logical fallacy, called the appeal to authority. You probably are a wonderful therapist, but there are still things that might not be your speciality, even in the therapist field.
? Maybe I’ve just had a long weekend but I don’t know what you’re talking about. I work with pregnant women and women with young children. Relationships and “baby’s dads” are brought up in every session with almost every client. If I had a dollar for every time one of them told me about a bad relationship that they insist on remaining in for some reason, I’d be a lot richer than I’d ever be working in the mental health field. I don’t think I’m claiming to be some brilliant person because I see that it’s wrong for women to be physically, verbally, and emotionally abused, used sexually, cheated on, etc. by immature, alcoholic, drug abusing men. Truthfully (and unfortunately), that describes the majority of the men involved in the lives of my clients. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that these men are harmful to these women and children. Also, you don’t know how I approach these issues during session…I just stated that I see this pattern often in clients.

Since I see these situations often and have been there myself as a naive young woman, I felt I could share with the OP that hers is probably not an ideal relationship to continue. I’m not talking as therapist to her, but as someone who has been told similar things by men I have cared about. And, while in such situations, sometimes I simply needed the validation from others that I needed to leave.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top