Bread Maker and Saving Money

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maria1212
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to hear any bread success stories later on. 🙂
I`ll keep you posted on my culinary adventures! I love baking from scratch but kitchen appliances do come in handy when you need to save time.

Im going to try a breadmaker and if I dont like it I will return it. It is very appealing to be able to turn it on at night and then wake up to fresh bread!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
Given that you use most of your other kitchen appliances–even the juice maker, my guess is you will use the bread maker too!

I am very impressed at how many people make bread by hand or with a mixer. I want to be able to do this too! I always been afraid to try, but you all have given me courage. We are big bread eaters, so this will save money.

Anne
–who is having major Kitchen Aid mixer envy–I wanted one badly before, now I am going to be impossible to live with.
 
Given that you use most of your other kitchen appliances–even the juice maker, my guess is you will use the bread maker too!

I am very impressed at how many people make bread by hand or with a mixer. I want to be able to do this too! I always been afraid to try, but you all have given me courage. We are big bread eaters, so this will save money.

Anne
–who is having major Kitchen Aid mixer envy–I wanted one badly before, now I am going to be impossible to live with.
If it makes you feel better, I also have Kitchen Aid mixer envy. Every time I go to Costco I walk by it! I have a Sunbeam mixer that does a wonderful job though. It is much more affordable. But I know the Kitchen Aid mixer is the Cadillac of mixers! If I ever get married that is going on the registry!

Don`t be afraid to try making bread. I have failed before but with each failure I learn!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
If it makes you feel better, I also have Kitchen Aid mixer envy. Every time I go to Costco I walk by it! I have a Sunbeam mixer that does a wonderful job though. It is much more affordable. But I know the Kitchen Aid mixer is the Cadillac of mixers! If I ever get married that is going on the registry!

Don`t be afraid to try making bread. I have failed before but with each failure I learn!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
That’s it… If it doesn’t work out try again…
I keep trying all kinds of things in the kitchen, mostly because I want to experience the taste of new creations. After trying a while I got pretty good in it and my creations are always pretty original.
There was a time before I got married that I had to live on the bare minimum and I think that everything, when in the right combination, can taste exceptionally good. I only use very few recipes and except for bread I come up with stuff and new flavors and mixes… You have endless possibilities to make a bread exceptional too though. My husband once used the fluid of a can of mandarin oranges in a bread and it was the greatest… Or a high cocoa content chocolate: The bread does not have to be sweet to make a wonderful mixture with chocolate as chocolate does have all kinds of different aromas to it.
 
Letting yeast “bloom” is the same as proofing your yeast. You are just making sure it is going to do it’s job ;).

I am like the others on here and prefer making my bread from scratch, if I am making a wheat bread I might start it in my second hand Kitchenaid but I finish on my center island. Making wheat free/gluten free breads I do entirely in my mixer as they don’t require kneading.

To answer the question about Gluten Free bread, I find the flour mixes I get at Authentic Foods (google it) are great. The Four Flour Mix is great for bread as it has garfava (garbanzo bean and fava bean) flour, rice flour, and two others not coming to mind right now - it is the bean flour mix that makes it good for breads as it ups the protein in the flour which is what is missing in the other flours compared to wheat flour. There is also the Featherlite mix that is great for cakes and cookies. You don’t have to mix your own flours anymore, you can get them pre-mixed for less than if you did it yourself (I used to grind my own rice).

Brenda V.
 
Letting yeast “bloom” is the same as proofing your yeast. You are just making sure it is going to do it’s job ;).

I am like the others on here and prefer making my bread from scratch, if I am making a wheat bread I might start it in my second hand Kitchenaid but I finish on my center island. Making wheat free/gluten free breads I do entirely in my mixer as they don’t require kneading.

To answer the question about Gluten Free bread, I find the flour mixes I get at Authentic Foods (google it) are great. The Four Flour Mix is great for bread as it has garfava (garbanzo bean and fava bean) flour, rice flour, and two others not coming to mind right now - it is the bean flour mix that makes it good for breads as it ups the protein in the flour which is what is missing in the other flours compared to wheat flour. There is also the Featherlite mix that is great for cakes and cookies. You don’t have to mix your own flours anymore, you can get them pre-mixed for less than if you did it yourself (I used to grind my own rice).

Brenda V.
Thank you Brenda!
 
You’ll be disgusted to know that I make bread without a mixer or a machine. And I have arthritis so I can’t knead excessively. Yet, once you have the skills, it can be done easily. I’ve even been known to mix the dough with a soup spoon. Yep, the awkward larger sized spoon that comes in the flatware set.

It is all in the techniques, and the type of bread you desire. For the busy cook, I’ve heard a lot about bread that you mix up a fast, easy batch of and then refrigerate for weeks. The cook just removes portions of the dough as needed and bakes it. Myself, I haven’t tried it, since I am perfectly happy with my sourdough projects. But it would be a total timesaver for you. And cheap. It would be easier for you than using a bread machine regularly, assuming you could adapt your breads to the technique. There is an entire book on the subject (at least). Here is one website with info and a basic recipe.

Also, some breads can be frozen nicely, so consider making larger batches and utilizing the freezer. Already baked rye rolls is what I have done this with.
I gave my breadmaker to my DIL, after I started making artisan style bread. I’ve made pizza, rye bread, nann, and challah this way.
 
If it makes you feel better, I also have Kitchen Aid mixer envy. Every time I go to Costco I walk by it! I have a Sunbeam mixer that does a wonderful job though. It is much more affordable. But I know the Kitchen Aid mixer is the Cadillac of mixers! If I ever get married that is going on the registry!

Don`t be afraid to try making bread. I have failed before but with each failure I learn!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
Ask around at appliance repair shops, this things are known to last generations and you can get a rebuilt or used one for less then the Sunbeam. They also own the Hobart system which is the Cadilac of the Resturant industry. Also used resturant supply stores as well.
 
I gave my breadmaker to my DIL, after I started making artisan style bread. I’ve made pizza, rye bread, nann, and challah this way.
I bet it makes good naan! 🙂 I make naan with sourdough starter. Sourdough starter doesn’t have to be sour, by the way. It depends on way you care for it and keep it. I love naan. My favorite seed to add to it is kalonji. Uh, that is its non-English name. I think in English it is called nigella seed. If you haven’t tried kalonji seed in naan, do try it! It keeps a very long time in the spice jar, much longer than poppy seeds, which go rancid. So it isn’t troublesome to keep some on hand.

I “knead” bread by using a few turns of the dough spread over time. The turns are also called “stretch and fold”. It is soooo much easier on the hands.
 
I made a loaf of pecan raisin bread with a new bread machine over the weekend and it came out fantastic. It came out better than when I made it from scratch–but that may have been due to the type of flour used.

I am going to give the bread machine a good workout this week to make sure I really want to keep it. But the convenience of it is fantastic and the taste was superb. I am able to make 1 lb loaves which is very convenient since I am single. They also make nice gifts for others.

I will keep folks posted on my baking adventures!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
I love my bread machine!

I actually have 2-one was found at the dump-brand new! it was never used with the recipe book still in the breadpan and the stickers still on it

I have a stand mixer as well but for everyday use i always go to the bread machine. less cleaning and watching.
 
I love my bread machine!

I actually have 2-one was found at the dump-brand new! it was never used with the recipe book still in the breadpan and the stickers still on it

I have a stand mixer as well but for everyday use i always go to the bread machine. less cleaning and watching.
It’s great when God brings you a find like that! 😃
 
OK, You have all inspired me to dust off my bread machine that is sitting in the corner of my kitchen and start doing some more baking. Anyone want to share some recipes?
 
I`ll post my bread machine pecan raisin recipe and my “from scratch” pecan raisin recipe tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
I`ll post my bread machine pecan raisin recipe and my “from scratch” pecan raisin recipe tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
wonderful! That’s what I was hoping for. I wonder if I should start a “share your favorite bread recipe” thread here…
 
I have a bread mixer but have not used it in years. I can’t use it during the day, it just does not work for our schedules. So I would set it to bake over night, but the amazing aroma of baking bread would wake me up in the middle of the night!!! :rolleyes: I tried using the delay timer, but then my bread did not turn out.

So it sits in the basement. 😛

I would love a KitchenAid - I just know I would use that all the time. I make muffins and quick breads at least twice a month.

Mmmmm - hungry from reading all this - not the thread to be reading on Ash Wednesday!!! 😉

~Liza
 
I have a bread mixer but have not used it in years. I can’t use it during the day, it just does not work for our schedules. So I would set it to bake over night, but the amazing aroma of baking bread would wake me up in the middle of the night!!! :rolleyes: I tried using the delay timer, but then my bread did not turn out.

So it sits in the basement. 😛

I would love a KitchenAid - I just know I would use that all the time. I make muffins and quick breads at least twice a month.

Mmmmm - hungry from reading all this - not the thread to be reading on Ash Wednesday!!! 😉

~Liza
lol! I know what you mean! The smell fills the house and you can’t ignore it! Dangerous for Lent!
 
Here is a recipe for Raisin Pecan Bread by scratch. After this post I will post the raisin pecan bread recipe for bread machines. This recipe is from the Whole Foods recipe website at the following link:

wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1474

Makes 1 loaf
This delicious bread smells wonderful while baking. Ideal as a whole grain breakfast bread with nut butter, tahini, cream cheese or dairy butter.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons honey
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons canola oil or high-oleic sunflower oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup seedless raisins or chopped dates
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading

Method
In a large mixing bowl, stir together honey and 1/2 cup lukewarm (105° to 115°) water. Add yeast and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups lukewarm (105° to 115°) water, oil and salt. Add whole wheat flour, and stir until well combined. Add pecans and raisins, then stir in all-purpose flour until dough leaves sides of bowl, adding a bit more flour if necessary. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly oiled mixing bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

Lightly oil a large baking sheet; set aside. Punch down dough and turn out onto a floured surface. Shape dough into a large round loaf and transfer to baking sheet. Cover with damp cloth and let rise again until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425°F. With a paring knife, slash top of loaf. Bake 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake 30 to 35 minutes more, or until nicely browned and bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on rack before slicing.

Nutrition
Per serving (about 3oz/72g-wt.): 280 calories (90 from fat), 10g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 46g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 7g protein
 
Here is the bread machine recipe for a 1lb loaf of raisin pecan bread. This is the quick rise recipe so it can be baked in two hours. I`ll post the regular (longer) bake recipe next. This is actually the raisin bread recipe from the recipe book that comes with the zojirushi mini (1 lb) bead machine but I adapted it by adding the pecans.

Place the following ingredients in the bread machine pan. Place them in the pan in the order listed.

7/8 cup of water
2 1/3 cups of bread flour
1 1/2 tsp of sugar
1 1/2 tsp of dried milk
1tsp salt
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp rapid rise yeast
(Do not let the yeast touch the water. Did a little whole on top of the dry ingredients and place in there).

When beep sounds to add ingredients add 1/2 cup of raisins and 1/2 cup of crush pecans. Make sure to crush the pecans until they are “fine” so they don`t damage the bread pan when the dough is kneaded.

I hope everyone enjoys this recipe as much as I do!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top