Breastfeeding and the breast

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kayt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief!? As if social stigma about having children wasn’t enough in the secular world. I encourage you to voice your concern and suggestion to the next breastfeeding woman you see.

If you are uncomfortable with something the Pope encourages, perhaps you might enjoy the vestibule and a CC Mass.
 
Where would you get this idea about child development that you could make such a blanket statement about children who do not like to be under cover?

My wife breastfeeds openly with no cover in Mass. She could cover, she just doesn’t. If someone is focused on that during Mass and not the Eucharist then a MYOB suggestion is in order.
 
Last edited:
JimmyTolder said:
One should not argue against a high standard of justice
And no one was that I saw. But to claim superiority of one culture over another or to claim that any given standard or set of rules for modesty should apply to all cultures at all times, or that one is higher than another is simply ludicrous.
 
Last edited:
babochka said:
Oh, man, I hope you’re joking. It’s hard to tell. 😑😐

Some babies just like to breathe. Some babies and mothers just like to gaze upon each other lovingly, as God’s design makes possible. Do you know that the distance that newborns can clearly see is approximately the distance from the breast to the mother’s face?
Pardon. By cover I mean either a cover on the baby’s head and the breast, OR covering on the breast down to baby’s mouth. The mother should not allow the baby to think that an uncovered breast is a normal thing.
 
Last edited:
I tried to do this from the beginning yet as soon as my children were able to grab and pull on the cover…they did…every time. The also were loud nursers! And they liked to let go on occasion and coo to my breast. That will expose me every time.

I’d be careful making general statements about covering from the start. Mine were and as soon as they were able, they made it obvious they disliked it…very obvious! 😂. They all have their quirks.
 
Last edited:
Jerusha said:
40.png
Breastfeeding openly
Oh, man, I hope you’re joking. It’s hard to tell. 😑😐

Some babies just like to breathe. Some babies and mothers just like to gaze upon each other lovingly, as God’s design makes possible. Do you know that the distance that newborns can clearly see is approximately the distance from the breast to the mother’s face?
Pardon. By cover I mean either a cover on the baby’s head and the breast, OR covering on the breast down to baby’s mouth. The mother should not allow the baby to think that an uncovered breast is a normal thing.
But it is a normal thing.

I’ll breasts are uniquely and beautifully designed to give our babies both comfort and nutrition. Skin to skin contact is the treatment of choice for newborns, especially preemies, who are struggling to thrive.

If I correctly understand your ideas, I think that they are very dangerous.
 
Last edited:
Jerusha said:
The mother should not allow the baby to think that an uncovered breast is a normal thing.
This has got to be a joke surely.

You are arguing that the artificial blanket stuck over babies head is ok. But the breast is not natural or normal.
 
Last edited:
I like the two-shirt method–wear two shirts, pull one down and one up, and except for the brief moment you’re moving baby’s head toward you nothing shows. It just looks like Baby’s cuddling. Pumping, now, that’s hard to do in public with any degree of modesty.
 
Last edited:
heidi_storage said:
I like the two-shirt method–wear two shirts, pull one down and one up, and except for the brief moment you’re moving baby’s head toward you nothing shows. It just looks like Baby’s cuddling. Pumping, now, that’s hard to do in public with any degree of modesty.
On this 103 degree day, I cringe at the thought.
 
Last edited:
That’s not how I meant it. I meant that I don’t want to make them uncomfortable. But hey, if they’re not uncomfortable, I’ll just go ahead and look on in curiosity since it’s not something I’m entirely used to seeing.
 
IdaCatholic said:
My wife breastfeeds openly with no cover in Mass. She could cover, she just doesn’t. If someone is focused on that during Mass and not the Eucharist then a MYOB suggestion is in order.
Then again, there’s the Christian Faith, which doesn’t include the MYOB zinger. “Am I my brother’s keeper”?

It’s nice that breast feeding has risen in popularity, but it’s sad that acceptance of others’ differences has declined. There’s almost an in-your-face attitude sometimes, not just on breastfeeding but other things. The more we preach diversity the less we practice it.

I am not distracted by breastfeeding, but if some people are, love would lead moms to seek a discrete alternative if available. If not available, then the baby’s needs take priority.

We should take every reasonable action to avoid distracting others during Mass. This includes designer-ragged clothing, shirts with Right or Left wing slogans, or chatting. It’s wrong to focus only on one potential distraction.
 
Last edited:
In reality you see more breast with most outfits some women wear to Church.
If a woman breastfeeding a child is a source if sexual temptation for some then perhaps some self control and custody of the eyes is in order. A woman breastfeeding is not sexual to a well adjusted person.
 
Last edited:
IdaCatholic said:
A woman breastfeeding is not sexual to a well adjusted person.
“Well adjusted” means people like me;

“Not well adjusted” means other people, who are different. Don’t want those in our parish.
 
Last edited:
Well adjusted means not perverse. But knowing that there are perverse people in our parishes is no reason to burden a woman feeding her child. For the same reason we dont approach a 5 year old wearing shorts because there may be pedophiles in the world.
 
Last edited:
What would the reaction be if I walked up to the teen girls in our parish and asked them to kindly take their cleavage elsewhere? Which is more sexual and prevalent than a woman sitting in a pew nursing a baby. Should people dress more modestly and behave more modestly? Yes! But the problem is not the SAHM of 5 discretely feeding the newest addition to the family while taking up a pew at Mass.

Again, the Pope has directly addressed this.
 
Last edited:
IdaCatholic said:
. For the same reason we dont approach a 5 year old wearing shorts
I don’t get this. Why would anyone approach a 5 year old for wearing shorts?
 
Last edited:
JimmyTolder said:
Of course they do, as long as one is made aware of them, one becomes guilty for not following them.
Babochka was referring to the “Marylike Standards” list as not being universal in scope and authority. And of course, they aren’t.
 
Last edited:
JimmyTolder said:
To claim the superiority of Christian culture over pagan culture is simple fact.
Christian is a religion, not a culture. There is a universal Christian church, but there is no universal Christian culture. If you doubt that, take a trip to Sub-Saharan Africa. In fact, take a trip anywhere more than 100 miles from your home. But don’t take your prejudices with you. This will be my last post on this thread as I am beginning to recognize patterns in my thoughts that tend to bring out the most uncharitable and impolite responses and I don’t want to go there. Muting for my own mental health.
 
Last edited:
When I see a woman breastfeeding in Mass, my mind immediately goes to the theological. It is a wonderful representation of Mary. As Catholics this aspect of Mary nurturing Jesus and then the faithful following that example should be second nature to us. But we have lost our identity to the puritanical roots of US culture. It’s quite protestant to even have this debate. In scripture, in art, in history the milk of life is theological, not sexual. The Catholic Church and Catholics are famous for emphasizing the maternal marian nature we are all called to share. We are also famous for celebrating the infant of the incarnation. A woman nursing in Church is kind of acting in persona Maria if you think about it.

Further more. In Italy, at the Vatican, and in other Churches, I’ve seen Holy art depicting the madonna nursing. I’ve Seen Mary’s breast depicted in art. And since she is the new Eve, I’ve seen eve’s breast depicted before the fall. I assure you that these images are not sexual, they are not lustful, and I can also assure you some may actually see them in an unholy and sickening light. But we do not request they be relegated to the lobby, or the vestibule. And the same respect and honor should be given to the “mary” sitting next to you at Church, who is a better depiction of our Holy Mother than any paint could ever be.
 
Last edited:
The point is that because some people in society sexualize children and struggle with lustful thoughts about them, we dont ask they be removed or covered from head to toe.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top