Brown Scapular

• Thread starter Thread starter Marian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marian

I was enrolled in the Brown Scapular several years ago and have since gone through more scapulars than I can count - for various reasons they seem to break at regular intervals.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Scapular Medal, eg the rules for wearing one?

Also, does anyone have the words for the enrolment ceremony? I lost mine a few years ago and would like to re-read them to remind myself of what I promised.

Many thanks.

http://carmelnet.org/scapular/clearpixel.gif http://carmelnet.org/scapular/clearpixel.gif
  • People are enrolled in the Scapular only once by a priest or authorized person.
  • The Scapular can be replaced afterwards by a medal, which has on one side the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and on the other, the image of Mary.
  • The Scapular holds us to live as authentic Christians in line with the teaching of the Gospel, to receive the sacraments, to profess our special devotion to the Blessed Virgin, which should be expressed each day, at least by saying the Hail Mary three times.
Short form of giving the scapular
Code:
                                                    *Receive this Scapular, a sign of your special relationship with Mary, the Mother of Jesus, whom you pledge to imitate. May it be a reminder to you of your dignity as a Christian in serving others and imitating Mary. Wear it as a sign of her protection and of belonging to the family of Carmel, voluntarily doing the will of God and devoting yourself to building a world true to his plan of community, justice and peace.
Code:
          *http://carmelnet.org/scapular/rules/rules.htm

I too have a question about the Brown Scapular. I was always told that we must wear the cloth scapular and not the medal unless we get special permission from a priest. I had found a reference to this in a book I read but cannot find it again to see the source of the reference. I myself wear the Brown Scapular, cloth one. I have many of them break. Once they are not able to be worn, you cannot just throw them in the trash, I think you have to burn them or bury them. If anyone can help clarify this for me, I would defintely appreciate it. joe

As indicated in the previous post, the Carmelites say that it is all right to replace your worn-out scapular with a scapular medal. The Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites say that their members may replace the scapular with a medal “for a good reason.” So it is perfectly ok to use the medal if you prefer. Worn-out scapulars should be burned or buried.

Also, if you’re planning on substituting the Brown Scapular with the medal you have to get it blessed (no need to enroll again, once enrolled you are enrolled for life).

I have been wearing the Brown Scapular (cloth) for about seven years now and I’ve only replaced one or two Scapulars (which were cheap in quality) that have broken. You might want to try investing in a better quality Brown Scapular which lasts longer and is durable. Here’s one that I use: Durable Brown Scapular, It lasted me for 5-6 years now and is still in fair shape today.

Miguel.

thanks for the help with the scapular medal. I am curious what one of you said when you said we can replace the cloth one with the medal, “for a good reason.” What would be a good reason? I have tried one of the sturdy scapulars and I usually go through one every 6 months. I think my body chemistry must eat through them. Plus, I do have an allergy to wool, so this may have something to do with this. tomorrow I will be going to my local OCD monastary and I will ask one of the priests during confession about this matter and report back to all of you. Joe

If you are allergic to wool, that is certainly a good reason! :yup:

Today was a great day!!! Went to confession, had Eucharist Adoration time and went to Mass. I did ask the priest during confession about the Brown Scapular vs. the Scapular medal. Father said: "You should wear the cloth scapular and may only substutute the medal under two conditions- 1. If you work in an environment where you are exposed to extreme heat (firefighter, factory, or in a place where you are always over some type of flame) and 2. if the wearing of the cloth (wool) scapular causes you to have more than a mild reaction/irritation. He also added that you did not need to ask a priest for permission, you can just decide on your own to switch to the medal. I did ask him about my going through 2-3 scapulars a year, and would this be a reason for switching to the scapular medal. His response was that I would have to make that determination if that meant that I had some type of reaction that would necessitate a change. I hope that this helps to clarify, or at least not further “muddy” the point. I think that I will continue to wear the cloth scapular for now. Joe

40.png
Marian:
I was enrolled in the Brown Scapular several years ago and have since gone through more scapulars than I can count - for various reasons they seem to break at regular intervals.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Scapular Medal, eg the rules for wearing one?

Also, does anyone have the words for the enrolment ceremony? I lost mine a few years ago and would like to re-read them to remind myself of what I promised.

Many thanks.
Hello, I can understand your frustration, it twists around your neck, tangles this way and that way, and I have worn medals along with it for 30 years or more, so thats a nice pass time untangeling all that :nope:
So just last week I had so many medals along with the scapular that I decided to put my medals on the car keys.
Now I have the Holy Face Medal and the scapular.
So as you can see the scapular has become for me a little penance, I wonder is that part of wearing the scapuar ??? that it can be irriating to say the least, well it’s not too bad a penance if it is. Well the children of FATIMA wore ropes around their waist after seeing the vision of Hell, as a penance for poor sinners.
Actually I read a story about Saint John Vianney who was famous in the confessional, well this is the womans story as a priest can’t divulge what is said in a confessional box.
The priest said to her," remember when you were at a ball, and there was a young man that you desired would dance with you and he never asked you, " Yes Father"
Rember when he was leaving the ball you saw what was like a light beneath his feet.
“Yes Father but I thought it was an illisusion” No said the priest that man was a demon, he stayed away from you because you were wearing the scapular.
Anyway I was told that we have a bone in the shouldier called scaplar, and scapular is supposed to mean shouldier, not sure.:confused:

WHere does one find a priest willing to enroll you into the brown scapular? Is there a website too fo rmore information?
Thank you!!
😃

40.png
Jennifer123:
WHere does one find a priest willing to enroll you into the brown scapular? Is there a website too fo rmore information?
Thank you!!
😃
As far as I know any priest can enroll you in the brown scapular :yup:

The first thing the priest did after enrolling me was to hand me a scapular medal and tell me that I could change it, if I wanted. So I put it with my other medals, and now wear both the cloth scapular and the medal. But they do keep getting tangled up a lot.

I’ve been wearing my current scapular for several months now. It is not the most expensive, and I wear it constantly (in the tropics), and sweat a lot, but the only problem is a bit of discoloration. (Unlike my previous one, that broke after only a couple of months.)

The Brown Scapular is a very powerful sacramental. However, one has to be enrolled and vested in it by a priest.
Excellent! Lets keep usisng the scapular and praying for each other.🙂
By the way, has anyone here ever heard of the: Scapular of Benediction and Protection?

40.png
misericordie:
The Brown Scapular is a very powerful sacramental. However, one has to be enrolled and vested in it by a priest.
Excellent! Lets keep usisng the scapular and praying for each other.🙂
By the way, has anyone here ever heard of the: Scapular of Benediction and Protection?
NO !!! :ehh:

Funny I found this thread! I’m on my way in a few minutes up to the local Marian Shrine for the Annual Mass in Honor of Our Lady’s Immacualte Heart after which Father Marion enrolls folks in the Brown Scapular of Our Lday of Mt. Carmel. I’ve been wearing the Scapular for years but never got enrolled. Well, in a few short hours I won’t be able to say that anymore! Please pray for me. I’ll write more when I get back; i.e. the questions in the thread.

Peace and all good,

Thomas2 👍

I’m back and it was totally awesome! I love going to the Shrine. It has been a while since I’d last been there.

The shrine is the National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa located in Doylestown, PA. It is run by the Pauline Fathers and they have done a beautiful job of taking care of the Shrine for years. It has a copy of the painting of our Lady of Jasna Gora, the so-called “black” Madonna reputed to have been painted by St. Luke himself which is now with the Holy Father in his private chapel and will be returned to the Polish people after he dies. It really is a beautiful place and always leaves me feeling rested after I’ve come away. This particular shrine has played an important part in my conversion, but that story is for another day. If you are ever in PA and want to visit, I highly recommend it. Thousands come usually during the Labor Day weekend when they have the Polish Festival which is another story. But that is enough about the shrine - this thread is about the Brown Scapular DUH! Sorry - love for the place compels me to brag a little!

We had Mass in the St. Anne’s Chapel which began at 9:30. The investure was during the Mass and we all said our promises to Mary. I had a nice talk with Father Marion afterwards and we did a little “sight-seeing.” Then we hit the gift shop (thank God I didn’t have much money or I’d be broke! LOL) which is a really good place to get books and such. I brought home some Holy Water and a blessed candle that I’ll light tonight when I say my Rosary. I must say, I feel a little different wearing my Scapular now. Like I said before, I’ve worn one but was never properly enrolled. Thanks be to God I feel like I can wear it with some devotion now. I’ve asked several priests to enroll me before, but it has never come off. Actually I’m glad because I don’t think I had the mind to find out what I’m obligated to now that I’m properly enrolled. I feel better “equipped” to live out the spirituality that goes with the wearing of the Scapular. In fact, I thought I’d share a little of the readings from today that express the pastoral advice that comes during enrollment. All this comes from the “official” Catechesis and Ritual prepared by the North American Provincials of the Carmelite Order. This will help answer some of the questions in this thread about the Scapular.

The core of the spiritual message attached to the Scapular is:

“To live as ‘brothers’ and ‘sisters’ of Mary in communion with Carmel, to enter more deeply into its spirit, to live its ideals…praying and cooperating with it in order that, faithful to its charism and their vocation, they may reflect, in the world, Mary who brings Jesus to all…To give to Mary ever more space in their life, seeking to live in their circumstances their fidelity to Christ in the spirit of Mary…in the faith that gazes at and prays to God, welcomes and dialogs with Him; in the hope that transforms itself into being at the service of All, which God is; and in the charity that abandons itself to the will of the Lord in order to be a true gift to the brothers and sisters…To imitate the ‘praying Virgin’ who ‘kept the word of God in her heart’…setting aside some time to meet God in prayer, meditating on the mysteries of salvation, taking part in faith in the liturgy of the Church, especially the Eucharist, reciting every day some liturgical hour or some psalms or the holy Rosary…To share in the Paschal Mystery of Christ by means of voluntary penances, lived in the spirit of Carmel, looking at Mary whose soul was pierced by a sword…To show the love of God…To engage in works of evangelization…and…to foster fraternal communion among members…”

“The Scapular is the sign of the love of Mary, icon of the goodness and mercy of the Most Blessed Trinity. This love is the fruit of the grace of God poured into the hearts of the faithful who, in turn, commit themselves to it.”

The scapular itself when worn out may be replaced and should be treated like any other Sacramental with respect and reverence. It must not just be tossed into the trash can! It must be either buried or burnt. If you cannot do this, give it to some religious who can. Once you’ve been enrolled it isn’t necessary to have yourself re-enrolled. Be sure to have your new scapular blessed before wearing it and if you chose to wear the medal, make sure it is a true Scapular medal, and it too, should be blessed before use. I prefer to get my Scapulars up at the Shrine because they have ones made by Carmelites and I support them not only with my prayers but with a few dollars as well. (I don’t know if the money made from the more commercial ones actually makes it to Carmel. I kinda doubt it.) I suggest you buy a few scapulars and share them with friends and family. Hope this all helps with the questions.

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

Today was a great day!!! Went to confession, had Eucharist Adoration time and went to Mass. I did ask the priest during confession about the Brown Scapular vs. the Scapular medal. Father said: "You should wear the cloth scapular and may only substutute the medal under two conditions- 1. If you work in an environment where you are exposed to extreme heat (firefighter, factory, or in a place where you are always over some type of flame) and 2. if the wearing of the cloth (wool) scapular causes you to have more than a mild reaction/irritation. He also added that you did not need to ask a priest for permission, you can just decide on your own to switch to the medal. I did ask him about my going through 2-3 scapulars a year, and would this be a reason for switching to the scapular medal. His response was that I would have to make that determination if that meant that I had some type of reaction that would necessitate a change. I hope that this helps to clarify, or at least not further “muddy” the point. I think that I will continue to wear the cloth scapular for now. Joe
Good information you recived from your Priest. For those who wondered how to disspose of a scapular. You are to either burry it in the earth, or to burn it. I do not know if you also need to disspose of the ashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back