Buddha Statue In Yard

• Thread starter Thread starter PrincessRosieBear
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said where it was located. It’s located in my backyard. My husband doesn’t want to get rid of it. It’s just art. I don’t worship it.

Voodoo spirits and such in this thread your last couple of sentences In your first response

Last edited:
There are hauling companies you can hire to take it away, or see if there’s a cultural organization in your area that might want it. Maybe they have a garden area they could put it in.

Okay, my mistake for thinking it was out front. But you did say that you wanted to get rid of it. (Post 5) Now you have added that your husband wants to keep it.

That’s exactly what my goddaughter is saying. I’m a devout Catholic and never really gave this a thought because I don’t worship it. I heard that Paul address this kind of thing when the people wouldn’t eat the meat of animals who were sold at market who were sacrificed to Pegan Gods. My brother said that Paul told them it was ok to eat the meat because they weren’t worshipping a pegan God. A statue doesn’t mean you worship it. I feel it would be a bit fanactical to break it into pieces. I can’t bury it because I’m not capable of digging a whole that big. I appreciate all your comments. This is a dilemma for me.

Buddhist statues and demonic possession
Buddhist statue is a pagan statue. It’s about the First Commandment.

As for spirit/soul possession, I had many first hand knowledge of it when I grew up in Asia. In Buddhism, there is not one authority that speaks authoritatively about Buddhism. Buddhism has many denominations/temples that worship a variety of deities that are even unfamiliar to Buddha himself. In many of these temples, people can make offerings to appease to the deities in return for particular favors. The process is usually orchestrated by Buddhist monks or priestesses. Some of the offerings required the offerers to offer their own souls to the deities. The offering ceremony encompasses rituals that are basically demonic. It was also understood that once the soul is accepted by the deities it would be almost impossible to get it back.

Last edited:
Well, if Pope Francis accepts a Buddhist statue, I don’t see what is wrong it.
Pope Francis encounters many religious leaders and are given many gifts. Does Pope Francis have a statue of Buddha in his home?

That’s incredible what if a person gave their soul to the statue and converted to Catholicism and went to confession, that would probably get it back right?

I like that your goddaughter knew Buddha, that it was not Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and that it was something to avoid. All good things for a young Catholic. I would not wish to scandalize her by being a Catholic myself and, now that it’s been explained to me, to continue having it there. She has some growing formation and I wouldn’t want to be the bad example of disregarding something that does not honor God. It would be like learning something in catechism and then having your God mother say that I don’t believe that.

I would do a negotiation with your husband that there is a wonderful St. Francis statue you would enjoy having and would he mind if Buddha found another home. He doesn’t have to know the details of how it left or if it cost a few bucks to have someone pick it up.

No, one should not give it away, otherwise it could scandalize others (i.e. causing them to sin).

It is not a sin for someone to not be Catholic. If the statue is given to a Buddhist, how is that a sin?

I was replying to @DeniseNY. She mentioned organizations not persons.

Last edited:
That’s incredible what if a person gave their soul to the statue and converted to Catholicism and went to confession, that would probably get it back right?
I was talking about non-Catholic Buddhists voluntarily giving up their souls to the deities through demonic rituals. . . . Should these people one day decide to convert Catholicism, I am quite certain than the Church has a process in place to get them in communion with Christ.

Last edited:
I know you we’re replying to her, she said a cultural organization. If a cultural organization wants it, how is that causing them to sin? It’s not like she is offering it to a Catholic Church and they accepted it. A cultural organization may be one that includes Buddha because of its country of origin, or it may be a group that is even non-religious. How is that causing anyone to sin?

Last edited:
I see no problem with giving it to a cultural organization such as a local Asian society (sorry for lumping all in together. I’m typing on my phone).

An organization is usually public; family is generally private. As @Randolph posted, this is about the First Commandment. God’s law is to be respected in public as well as in private.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back