David_Paul:
The “Russian Mafia” was never Russian and Putin chased into exile or imprisoned most of the leaders. Mikhail Khodorkovsky (who was worth over $12 billion in 2002) will be sentence May 18th. Gusinsky and Berezovsky are in the UK. The whereabouts of the worst of them, Semion Mogelivich, is unknown. Theories are he is in Prague , Budapest or Tel Aviv (he was operating on an Israeli passport).
Nobody knows where the $9 billion plus the “Russian” Mafia laundered through the Bank of New York under the not so watchful eyes of Bill Clinton and Robert Rubin’s number two at Treasury–Stuart Eizenstat–went. More than a little of that money came from taxpayers in the United States as aid to Russia.
Hello David Paul (lovely tag!) and nice to meecha on The Board… thank you for all that information…may I ask your source? I recall with Maths in College loosing my interest in it for needing to use 22/7 as pye and not understanding why 22/7 = pye in the discerning of the diameter of a circle…
I know how the word Mafia took form from Southern Italy in the first place…I also know that nowadays it is a word for organized crime on any large scale - and I mean large !..
My source of information for my post was a documentary I saw on Russia and its state of economic collapse and resultant disorganization and disorder and this documentary categorically stated (ABC tv HERE ) that it was Russian Mafia (organized crime on a large scale, Russian in nationality, and point of actual control in collapsed Communist Russia.
Two nights ago I caught Putin on TV after a meeting re European Economic relationships, blasting two Baltic states in particular for their quest for independance. This was in response to a Baltic state journalist’s question the the Baltics. Putin was KJB…no, I would not trust Mr. Putin one little bit! I have given source of my info … and from what I know of KJB - it takes a certain type of personality to be what Mr Putin was in Communist Russia…no! I do not trust Putin one bit…and will continue to not trust him until I have evidence that satisfies me that my assessment could be incorrect.
The First World War erupted basically out of the Baltic’s drive to be independant. A situation I wish I had more time to keep my eyes on - altho my own assessment is that The Middle East is the place to keep one’s eyes on at all costs…but then who can predict what will come of the international tensions we now find ourselves embroilled in and largely because of the invasion of Iraq and with Mr. Bush now talking nasty talk re North Korea and China…I think Mr. Bush could be borderline egomaniac and
possibly, could be, perhaps…an understatement!
Send regards from South Aussie
Barb - Bethany Place
Friday 13th. May, 2005 5.26 pm
For those with any interest, I am still tied up with matters concerning Bethany but trying anyway to duck into CAF when I can to stay in contact with Posts & Threads in which I have some investment of some kind…
May The Lord and His Peace be with you
and go ahead of us
…
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_12_11.gif…