Camping!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Havard
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to keep Epipens because I’m extremely allergic to Honey Bees. I think my worst experience was when I went camping in Autumn during an Indian summer and because it was so warm out during the day, I didn’t bring a sleeping bag. The temperature dropped from the high 70’s to the low 30’s that night. I had to snuggle with, um, my male friends that night.😊
LOL! yep…it happens…:rolleyes: We ended up sleeping very uncomfortably in a car when that happened to us…😃
 
I’ve got a funny story for you… When I was a kid, we would occasionally sent up a little pup tent in the backyard and I would spend the night with one of my sisters. One evening, I was surprised (I believe I was asleep or almost asleep) by something hitting the side of the tent. I went totally ballistic, I mean I was scared out of my wits! It seems the family cat decided the tent would make a nice trampoline and decided to jump.😃

I’m glad my parents introduced us to camping. It was really fun to visit new places, especially the wonderful national parks with all their trails… I’m so happy to share this with my own kids. Three more months before the start of the season and I’m so homesick!! We’re transitioning to “seasonal” campers this year so it will be a change. We got tired of hauling the 29-footer around and I absolutely HATED having to drive a truck. I’ve met lots of seasonal campers and they seem so much more relaxed than haulers. That’s just my experience, and I hope I enjoy it half as much as they do. I guess we’ll see soon enough…

Isn’t there an RVers group on CAF? Methinks I should subscribe.
 
AFAIK, KOA tent sites don’t fill up as fast as their RV sites and cabins… still it kind of depends on where and when you’re going. If it’s a busy holiday, it wouldn’t hurt to book now. Check out the KOA website for campgrounds. Yes, I love KOAs (I know some aren’t that great, but check for award winners) and the tent sites, even with electric and water are only about $35 a night… plus you get showers and bathrooms!

National Park campgrounds fill up VERY quickly during the peak summer seasons. If you have your dates set, better call as soon as possible. A deposit is required and all but a portion of it will be refunded in the event of cancellation. Check with the campgrounds on their policies.

And as for tent camping, take air mattresses… you will be glad you did! 👍
From this post, it’s obvious to me that we Catholics like to rough it 😉

(sorry, have to tease)
 
Camping is one of my favorite pastimes, with family and friends alike. So I thought I’d start a thread where people can share stories, experiences, or give reviews of places to go.

There’s a lot I could say here about my own experiences, but I’d rather open it up to other people to see where things go. 🙂
Great thread!

I’ve been camping, hiking, backpacking since about 10 years old and I love it. It is one of my favorite ‘hobbies’ for lack of a better term.

I have camped all over the east coast, I spent a week camping in the Florida Keys on an isolated island (think LOST/CastAway without the plane crash).

I’ve gone camping and rafting in Colorado and spent 10+ days backpacking in New Mexico. I’ve backpacked in Rocky Mountain National Park, the Badlands and Blackhills in SD, I’ve been to Wyoming. I have seen a bit of the Grand Canyon and hope to go out there again. I’ve also been to Yosemite and done a lot of hiking there.

I’ve gone on a week long canoe camping trip that covered 70+ miles on the Delaware over the course of 5 days.

Every year I try to go to a new National Park and do some sort of outdoor activity there. I last year I took some friends on their first hiking experience in Shenandoah National Park…they loved it and want to go back.

I have backpacked/hiked through the Volcano craters on Maui at Haleakala National Park and I have hiked through Volcano National Park on Hawaii’s Big Island.

I would love to hear national park recommendations from other people here.
 
CAMPING!! Campingcampingcampingcamping! :bounce: :bounce:

Yeah, my family camps at the state park regularly in the summertime. As soon as the weather starts to warm up, I go clean out and sanitize our camper to get the thing ready. Always fun to restock the cabinets, put fresh blankets out and pick out a camping spot by the lake. :tanning:

Hubby and the kids grab their fishing poles while mommy does a cannonball in the water. 😃 And then, if Pawpaw has his boat fixed, we’ll go inner-tubing, water-skiing, or just ride around the lake. I love the inner-tube, even when my lovely children beg daddy to drive the boat really fast so mommy will flip into the water. :stretcher:

Oh, and I can skip a rock seven times. Haha.
 
:hug1: Maybe you should go camping! 😃 It seems like there are a lot of these young attractive gentlemen who go…maybe you might just meet some of them! 😃
😃 With my luck, I would be eaten by a bear! Or a rabbit. Since my life is filled with irony.
 
for Jay82, Glacier and Yellowstone are incredible!!! Glacier is my favorite. I don’t know about camping in these parks but the scenery is awesome. Banff national park in Canada is another incredible place. I am dying to see Yosemite and Mt Rainier, thanks to Ken Burns :D. Isn’t there a new national park that Obama set aside?

Roughing it for me is having to sleep without my fan. I tend to prefer campgrounds with flush toilets. I can deal with outhouses if I have to, but just cant dig (no pun intended) doing the business in bushes :nope:. Here in Wisconsin our state parks fill up fast, usually by flatlanders (people from Illinois for those of you not familiar with Wisconsin lingo :D) I usually avoid the campgrounds near the Wisconsin Dells, they tend to have odd rules and the prices are really high. Of course that goes for pretty much everything in the Wisconsin Dells.

One thing that is cool is at the national parks, you can pick up a national parks passport. Every national park, monument, etc has cancellation stamps that you can stamp in the passport. It is a lot of fun and helps create memories.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top