Can a Catholic donate to help rebuild a burned down mosque?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmv
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, after you donate to every single Catholic Church burned down around the world, you can donate to a group in which their holy books repeat multiple times to kill the people of the Scriptures (Christians and Jews).👍
 
I myself would never contribute to rebuilding a mosque. Charity, to my mind, does not extend to that.

Conversely, I do understand why others would be ok to do so.

I guess this is a classic case of follow your free human conscience.

God Bless and ICXC NIKA
 
If I’m not mistaken, muslims have different sect (shiite,sunni).
They even kill each other because of different sect although they are all muslims.
If it’s just a hall for gathering and they help us once upon a time, why not?
If the muslims there are extremist, why do you want to help the one who wants to kill you?

I have seen their worship place in my college, it’s just a room with carpet. Doesnt look dangerous to me.
We talk about religious freedom here, but depends on what kind of muslims they are.
Support our friendly neighbour, and keep guard against hostile neighbour.

Two Malaysia Churches Burned
sg.christianpost.com/dbase/society/1698/section/1.htm

The above news link, it’s the same thing but the victim and assaulter switch place.
 
For a minority group, their religious building often doubles as a community center. It is a place of collective identity and refuge. This is true regardless of the religion (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist etc)

The arson of the mosque was an attack on a minority group. In supporting the rebuilding of the mosque, you are supporting a minority group which had been collectively attacked. You are rebuilding their community center, their sanctuary against the domestic terrorism which they would now reasonably fear.

Providing support in these circumstances is a major act of charity. If you are uncomfortable donating money, consider donating services directly to the persons involved in the rebuilding effort (meals, refreshments, etc)
 
For a minority group, their religious building often doubles as a community center. It is a place of collective identity and refuge. This is true regardless of the religion.

The arson of the mosque was an attack on a minority group. In supporting the rebuilding of the mosque, you are supporting a minority group which had been collectively attacked. You are rebuilding their community center, their sanctuary against the domestic terrorism which they would now reasonably fear.

Providing support in these circumstances is a major act of charity. If you are uncomfortable donating money, consider donating services directly to the persons involved in the rebuilding effort (meals, refreshments, etc)
I totally support your opinion. For your information, the Catholics in Malaysia face the same situation as the Muslims over there. Just different sides of assaulter and victim.
Just think about it for a moment.
 
Of course. Judaism and Islam are false religions.
Really? So you are saying that Mary, Joseph, John The Baptist, Mary’s cousin Elizabeth, all of their near and distant relations, the Apostles and even Jesus Himself practiced a false religion?

How can Jesus, the Son of God, the Incarnate Word, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity and Truth itself practice something that is false?
 
You have some evidence that this mosque is involved in the murder of unborn babies?
In their religion Muslims do not discriminate between the born and unborn about which should be murdered.

To the poster that said Judaism and Islam are false religions. You are wrong. God revealed Himself to the Jews.

To those who said Muslims and Christians believe in the same God. Allah and Jehovah are not the same Gods. Christians believe in the same God Jews do, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. “Salvation is of the Jews”. Who said that?

The prophet of Islam was a false prophet pedophile according to the Muslim’s own history. All All the promises of Islam are false. The promises of endless sex with 72 virgins in heaven if you die a Muslim warrior is completely absurd. A ten year old girl is a child, not a woman wife and sex partner. To claim this religion is true and the same or anything similar to true religion is irrational and deluded.

The only similarity is the belief in one God. That God is not Allah. If you believe it is you can not be a Christian.
 
Really? So you are saying that Mary, Joseph, John The Baptist, Mary’s cousin Elizabeth, all of their near and distant relations, the Apostles and even Jesus Himself practiced a false religion?

How can Jesus, the Son of God, the Incarnate Word, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity and Truth itself practice something that is false?
I am obviously not saying that Old testament-Judaism(pre-christian, whatever you want to call it) was false. The rejection of Christ makes it false today though, which means that supporting synagogues with money means supporting a religion that says that Jesus wasn’t the Messiah. And I think you understood that, so trying to make cheap points doesn’t add anything to the discussion.
 
I see nothing wrong with it. I would see it as a wonderful act of God’s love if a Muslim contributed to the rebuilding of a burnt down Catholic church. And if I were a Muslim, I would think to myself, “How beautiful.”

As Saint Francis says, “Preach the gospel always. If necessary, use words.”

Not to mention, rossum is spot on. Thank you for the quote 👍
 
Recently in Joplin, MO a mosque was burned down. One of the members of our Knights of Columbus sent the following email:

“I would suggest that the Knights make a donation to the Islamic Society of Joplin. The burning of their Mosque is a cowardly act. We as good Christian men can show support. It wasn’t that long ago that Catholics were the subject of similar threats from the KKK and other anti Catholic groups.”

A few people replied in agreement and I responded this way:

“It seems like the charitable thing to do, but I keep feeling that providing material support to rebuild a mosque is a grave violation of the First Commandment. Charity and truth cannot be separated and love of neighbor cannot supersede love of God. If there was a humanitarian need, I would be willing to help regardless of creed, but helping rebuild a place of false worship is an entirely different thing. Perhaps a note of solidarity and support for their freedom to practice their religion and condemning what happened would be more appropriate.”

Someone replied:
"I respectfully disagree. The Moslems gave us millions of dollars for the rebuilding of our Catholic hospital children wing, and millions of dollars to our schools after the tornado. They worship the same God and 1400 years ago when they were being prosecuted the Christians gave them safe harbor.

Their religion recognizes our Christian church. And specifically mentions Mary and Jesus in their Quran. They just practice differently, so do Jews, so do baptists so do Nazarenes

They don’t have a false religion and I’m sending them something out of my own pocket."

What are your thoughts on this situation? Is it a violation of the First Commandment to give money towards the construction of this mosque?
A mosque and a hospital are two different things. Our money should go to furthering the Kingdom of God through the furthering of the Catholic Church. I wouldn’t give money to a Protestant Church building, let alone a mosque.
 
A mosque and a hospital are two different things. Our money should go to furthering the Kingdom of God through the furthering of the Catholic Church. I wouldn’t give money to a Protestant Church building, let alone a mosque.
If I’m not mistaken, the one who burn down the mosque claim he’s a christian. On a catholic-muslim relation, this will affect us. We don’t need to donate for the mosque, a building with hall would suffice, let them renovate it to mosque themselves.

I know people have different opinion, but think of the muslims who converted to catholicism.
What do you have to say for the people in the thread linked below;
CAF - Prayer for conversion of Muslim

I don’t want to critic other religion, but I once read that people said Islam was spread by the sword. We spread christianity by the “bomb”? I don’t think so.

Something I read just now;
[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 7:5[/BIBLEDRB]

The papacy tried hard to promote inter-religion peace, we should do the same in my opinion.
 
I am amazed. Fairly recently Joplin was nearly leveled by a devestating tornado, remeber?

It seems like the people of Joplin would be far better off concentrating on rebuilding.

Instead they engage in sectarian violence.
Catholics, thank God are likely not a part of this, there are very few Catholics in the Ozarks.

But tons of baptists, and other fundamentalists.
 
I am obviously not saying that Old testament-Judaism(pre-christian, whatever you want to call it) was false. The rejection of Christ makes it false today though,
That’s not what the Church teaches.
 
I see nothing wrong with it. I would see it as a wonderful act of God’s love if a Muslim contributed to the rebuilding of a burnt down Catholic church. And if I were a Muslim, I would think to myself, “How beautiful.”

As Saint Francis says, “Preach the gospel always. If necessary, use words.”:
There’s some doubt whether he really said that.

ICXC NIKA
 
I personally would not donate money to help rebuild a mosque since it is not an act of charity to help fund the building of a place that leads souls away from Christ.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top