Can a Catholic see the new Left Behind Movie?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Layp3rs0n
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I generally don’t have a problem with any movies that are not clearly morally inappropriate. Catholics are not sinning by watching movies that are not obscene or flat out anti-Christian. Fiction is fiction.

Now, I do have a problem with this movie but not because of the rapture garbage. The problem I have is with the authors of the books who are very militantly anti-catholic.

LeHaye has been quoted as saying:
Catholicism is idolatrous, Satanic in origin, based on secrecy and fear, and filled with pagan doctrines and practices. He then proclaims that after reading the above quotations, you may be inclined to think me anti-Catholic, but that isn’t exactly true; I am anti-false religion.
To me that is grounds for boycotting the books and movies.
 
Not if you are a Catholic who likes good movies.

“Left Behind seriously could have used some divine intervention.”
-USA Today

“I’s no shock to share that Cage is a major step up from Cameron, but it’s surprising to see the new Left Behind refuse the benefit of hindsight, content to make the same corny, labored film all over again.”
-Blu-ray.com

“American Idol champ Jordin Sparks … sings the end-credits ditty, “I Wish We’d All Been Ready.” Viewers will wish that director Vic Armstrong and scripters Paul Lalonde and John Patus had been ready, too.”
-NPR

“Left Behind” is terrible because it’s poorly written, flat in tone and generally pandering to the faithful by not offering any complexity whatsoever.

“Featuring local-cable production values and dialogue that seems written by a crack team of Sunday schoolers, director Vic Armstrong’s “Left Behind” does no favors for the Christian proponents of its belief system”
-NY Post

3% on RT, 2.2 average lol.
I can’t be any better or worse than those dreadful movies “Noah” and “Heaven is Real”…so if you want to, go for it.
Noah was a solid film with a strong performance from Crowe and some awesome art direction.
 
Not if you are a Catholic who likes good movies.

“Left Behind seriously could have used some divine intervention.”
-USA Today

“I’s no shock to share that Cage is a major step up from Cameron, but it’s surprising to see the new Left Behind refuse the benefit of hindsight, content to make the same corny, labored film all over again.”
-Blu-ray.com

“American Idol champ Jordin Sparks … sings the end-credits ditty, “I Wish We’d All Been Ready.” Viewers will wish that director Vic Armstrong and scripters Paul Lalonde and John Patus had been ready, too.”
-NPR

“Left Behind” is terrible because it’s poorly written, flat in tone and generally pandering to the faithful by not offering any complexity whatsoever.

“Featuring local-cable production values and dialogue that seems written by a crack team of Sunday schoolers, director Vic Armstrong’s “Left Behind” does no favors for the Christian proponents of its belief system”
-NY Post

3% on RT, 2.2 average lol.

Noah was a solid film with a strong performance from Crowe and some awesome art direction.
With that said, if you DO want to see a very good Christian-themed movie watch “The Good Lie”. 83% Rotten Tomatoes. 🙂

My goodness did I just shamelessly promote a movie that’s not supposed to be discussed in this thread?
 
Well, I “get” what people are trying to say about watching it purely for entertainment, not affecting their faith, etc. etc.
But facts remain.
I have a friend, cradle Catholic, educated all of her children in the most highly respected Catholic schools, never missed Mass, etc…you get the picture. And she said to me after viewing the DaVinci code:
“CLARE! I didn’t know all that! I didn’t know Mary Magdalene was married to Jesus!”

:rolleyes::eek::confused:

She was, in my mind, and in hers as well: well catechized. But this one movie tossed all of that right out the door.
The topic of the Left Behind series and movie does not interest me, as it is false.
End of story for me. 🤷

I respect everyone’s opinion, but it’s not as harmless as people are advancing.
Just my $.02
 
Wasn’t the authors of the left behind series anti-Catholic and these anti-Catholic sentiments portrayed in their books and the movies? I am not sure that is why I am curious
 
Wasn’t the authors of the left behind series anti-Catholic and these anti-Catholic sentiments portrayed in their books and the movies? I am not sure that is why I am curious
Yes to both questions.

I’m going to pass on this one.
 
Well, I “get” what people are trying to say about watching it purely for entertainment, not affecting their faith, etc. etc.
But facts remain.
I have a friend, cradle Catholic, educated all of her children in the most highly respected Catholic schools, never missed Mass, etc…you get the picture. And she said to me after viewing the DaVinci code:
“CLARE! I didn’t know all that! I didn’t know Mary Magdalene was married to Jesus!”

:rolleyes::eek::confused:

She was, in my mind, and in hers as well: well catechized. But this one movie tossed all of that right out the door.
The topic of the Left Behind series and movie does not interest me, as it is false.
End of story for me. 🤷

I respect everyone’s opinion, but it’s not as harmless as people are advancing.
Just my $.02
I suspect your friend’s beliefs were compartmentalized in her mind. I have been guilty of that as well, in more serious matters, so I can’t criticize her.
A movie is an intense experience, more so than we realize. They say that to a toddler, a movie is like an LSD trip. So it can have a profound effect on us. Probably a good idea to protect one’s subconscious and avoid obvious falsehoods.
But I do like science fiction, and haven’t yet seen any little green men. Maybe if a movie is presented more like a documentary, it has a stronger effect.
Remember H.G, Wells’ War of the Worlds radio program, when tons of people ran for the hills? We think we are more sophisticated, but maybe not as much as we think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top