Can a Catholic support the death penalty in good-faith?

• Thread starter Thread starter ImJustPro
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The meaning of a particular sentence has nothing whatever to do with Christian faith.
You are saying that the meaning of something in the catechism (in this case, a sentence) has nothing to do with the Christian faith.

This is something you would have to prove, and I doubt you will be able to do so. Every sentence, every meaning, in the catechism, has to do with Christian faith.

Last edited:
You are saying that the meaning of something in the catechism (in this case, a sentence) has nothing to do with the Christian faith.
This distorts the meaning of my comment. Given that the statement is about Catholic doctrine it clearly “has to do with the Christian faith.” That said, understanding what it means, not so much. In the case of the USCCB statement, not at all. Understanding that is determined by the rules of English grammar.
The i.e. list requires semicolons as separators because the several purposes of punishment use commas as their separators.
No. The list of the purposes was separated by semicolons. Only the last objective had multiple items separated by commas.
Within the Catholic tradition, punishment has several purposes: redressing the disorder caused by the offense, i.e., just retribution; defending public order, deterring future wrongdoing; and promoting reform, repentance,and conversion of those who commit evil acts .
This is not accurate. Here is the sentence separated at the semicolons:
redressing the disorder caused by the offense, i.e., just retribution;
defending public order;
deterring future wrongdoing;
and promoting reform, repentance,and conversion…

You bundled together the things separated by the semicolons, and separated out those delimited by commas. There is no grammatical justification for that; that turns the punctuation on its head. Moreover, it is not in accord with everything else said about the purposes of punishment.

According to Church teaching, a civil government’s response to crime should be to uphold justice by achieving four goals: rehabilitate the offender, protect society from the offender, deter future offenses, and redress the disorder caused by the offense. (Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops)

They unambiguously separate defending society, deterrence, and rehabilitation from redressing the disorder. Those are all separate objectives. Let’s move on.

This is not accurate. Here is the sentence separated at the semicolons:
redressing the disorder caused by the offense, i.e., just retribution;
defending public order;
deterring future wrongdoing;
and promoting reform, repentance,and conversion…

You bundled together the things separated by the semicolons, and separated out those delimited by commas. There is no grammatical justification for that; that turns the punctuation on its head. Moreover, it is not in accord with everything else said about the purposes of punishment.
That is not correct. The sentence can only be diagrammed as I previously showed. The sentence begins: Within the Catholic tradition, punishment has several purposes.

The i.e. list is not inserted after several purposes as your diagram shows but after redressing the disorder. The items included after the i.e. list delineate items attached to only redressing the disorder which is the first of the several purposes of punishment.

You have diagrammed a different sentence:

Within the Catholic tradition, punishment has several purposes: redressing the disorder caused by the offense, i.e., just retribution; defending public order, deterring future wrongdoing, and promoting reform, repentance, and conversion of those who commit evil acts.

The bishops used semicolons for a reason. If just retribution was the only item that explains what redressing the disorder is then only one semicolon is needed; the list is a singular. The list consists of multiple items so the semicolons are necessary because commas are used to list the several purposes of punishment.

The rest of the documents as well as USCCB 2000 supports the sentence as I have diagrammed it.

Edited: one semicolon would be required.

Last edited:
This distorts the meaning of my comment. Given that the statement is about Catholic doctrine it clearly “has to do with the Christian faith.” That said, understanding what it means, not so much. In the case of the USCCB statement, not at all. Understanding that is determined by the rules of English grammar.
Thanks for clarifying the comment. I had read literally this sentence:
The meaning of a particular sentence has nothing whatever to do with Christian faith.
Just as understanding that sentence, then, cannot be taken out of the context of what you intend to say, what your general intent is, then the same applies to how we look at CCC 2266. CCC 2266 cannot be read for meaning of any sort unless it is put into the context of the 2267, the entire chapter, and the entire CCC.

2266 cannot be taken out of the context of the Catholic Christian faith any more than I can take your statement out of the context of your beliefs and intentions.

I’ll let you battle the grammar with @o_mlly.

Last edited:
The sentence begins: Within the Catholic tradition, punishment has several purposes .
Yes, it does: redressing, defending, deterring, and rehabilitating.
The i.e. list is not inserted after several purposes as your diagram shows but after redressing the disorder .
Partly true. The i.e. is not a list; it is an explanation of what redressing the disorder means.
You have diagrammed a different sentence:
No, it is your version that is inaccurate. The bishops put a semicolon between “defending public order” and “deterring future wrongdoing”. You replaced their semicolon with a comma.
The bishops used semicolons for a reason. If just retribution was the only item that explains what redressing the disorder is then only one semicolon is needed; the list is a singular. The list consists of multiple items so the semicolons are necessary because commas are used to list the several purposes of punishment.
Again, no. The semicolons set off the four purposes, and they used semicolons because the last item on the list contains multiple items, set off by commas.
USCCB 2000 supports the sentence as I have diagrammed it.
I doubt it, but as I don’t what you refer to I can’t address it specifically, but boil it all down for me. Give me a list of the purposes of punishment, one word for each purpose.

Yes, it does: redressing, defending, deterring, and rehabilitating.
Not so. I can only re-post the purposes as indicated by the bishops’ use of punctuation:
punishment has several purposes:
  • redressing the disorder caused by the offense, i.e.,
    • just retribution;
    • defending public order;
    • deterring future wrongdoing;
  • promoting reform,
  • repentance, and
  • conversion of those who commit evil acts
Partly true. The i.e. is not a list; it is an explanation of what redressing the disorder means.
No. Id est, Latin for that is, followed by a sentence is an explanation. Absent a sentence, what follows i.e. is a list. The bishops give us a multiple list correctly separated by semicolons.
Again, no. The semicolons set off the four purposes, and they used semicolons because the last item on the list contains multiple items, set off by commas.
No. The last item on the list is promoting which has three objects, properly separated by commas.
Give me a list of the purposes of punishment,
? I already did. According to the USCCB 2005, the purposes of punishment are: 1) redressing, 2) promoting reform, 3) promoting repentance, and 4) promoting conversion.

Realizing, as you’ve already agreed, that your argument hinges on this point of grammar, I do not expect you can accept it so I leave you in peace. See you in the next CP thread.

That being said, I’m wondering what the Catholic position on the death penalty is. I’ve looked through the Catechism and I’m still confused what the answer is.
I didn’t read all 100+ posts of this thread, but the official Catholic Church position on the death penalty may be found in the Catechism at section 2267, revised in Feb. 2018. I don’t think it’s very confusing. Seems quite clear to me.

https://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2018/08/02/180802a.html

Note that the English language version of the Catechism on the Vatican website has not yet, as of the date of this post, been updated with the Feb 2018 wording for section 2267. It still contains the old wording.

Last edited:
As a Catholic for me the death penalty is Old Testament justice, it’s an eye for an eye. The New Testament completely changed that way of looking at things. From a practical perspective you obviously need justice to be seen to be done and prison takes care of this, also you don’t run the risk of executing the wrong person. In most of the West the death penalty has been done away with and society hasn’t collapsed. I don’t believe it is a deterrent as I do not believe the criminal ever believes they will be caught.

punishment has several purposes:
  • redressing the disorder caused by the offense, i.e.,
    • just retribution;
    • defending public order;
    • deterring future wrongdoing;
  • promoting reform,
  • repentance, and
  • conversion of those who commit evil acts
There has been post going back and forth on this: I am surprised that you didn’t do the following.
Within the Catholic tradition, punishment has several purposes: redressing the disorder caused by the offense, i.e.,{in other words) just retribution; (and) defending public order; (and)deterring future wrongdoing; (this is incorrect usage as the : mean and so the document is saying and and)and promoting reform, repentance,and conversion of those who commit evil acts* .*

It is more likely that the promoting reform, repentance,and conversion of those who commit evil acts** .* explains “deterring future wrongdoing” It should also be noted that the footnote refers back to the Catechism 2266.

Is it a deterrent? It is an unanswerable question. You cannot know who decided not to kill for fear of the death penalty. The results of the places that have ended the death penalty compared to those who still have it might shed some light on it. The statistics I saw showed a decrees in murder from states that abolished it.

According to the USCCB 2005, the purposes of punishment are: 1) redressing, 2) promoting reform, 3) promoting repentance, and 4) promoting conversion.
No. This is not what they said, nor is it what the church teaches.
  • The three justifications traditionally advanced for punishment in general are retribution, deterrence, and reform. (USCCB 1980)
  • Punishment is commonly held to have four purposes. They are: (1) protection (of society), (2) retribution, (3) rehabilitation, and (4) deterrence. (Montana Catholic Conference, 1981)
  • Punishment is held to have a variety of ends that may conveniently be reduced to the following four: rehabilitation, defense against the criminal, deterrence, and retribution. (Cardinal Dulles, 2001)
  • According to Church teaching, a civil government’s response to crime should be to uphold justice by achieving four goals: rehabilitate the offender, protect society from the offender, deter future offenses, and redress the disorder caused by the offense. (Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops, 2019)
These objectives are all separate and distinct, the key point being that “redressing the disorder” has nothing to do with the other goals. It does not, for example, refer to rehabilitation as an aspect of redressing the disorder within the individual who committed the crime.

Last edited:
I didn’t read all 100+ posts of this thread, but the official Catholic Church position on the death penalty may be found in the Catechism at section 2267, revised in Feb. 2018. I don’t think it’s very confusing. Seems quite clear to me.
It does all seem so simple on a cursory reading; it is only when one goes below the surface that questions arise. For example, last summer at their annual conference (in Baltimore) the issue was raised regarding the English translation, and one of the bishops rose and asked what “inadmissible” meant. The response given, and regrettably accepted, was that it was an ambiguity - an “elegant ambiguity” to be precise.

Disregarding the really doubtful assertion that an ambiguous doctrine could possibly be elegant, there is no escaping the fact of its ambiguity. I don’t fault you jumping in the middle of this discussion without reading everything. I’ll just ask you what I’ve asked others: does inadmissible mean that capital punishment is or is not intrinsically evil?

I think addressing this question will expose what is so ambiguous about the wording of this change.
As a Catholic for me the death penalty is Old Testament justice, it’s an eye for an eye. The New Testament completely changed that way of looking at things.
I don’t think so. This is not what the church has taught.

…when Our Lord says: “You have heard that it hath been said of old, an eye for an eye, etc.,” He does not condemn that law, nor forbid a magistrate to inflict the poena talionis, but He condemns the perverse interpretation of the Pharisees, and forbids in private citizens the desire for and the seeking of vengeance. For God promulgates the holy law that the magistrate may punish the wicked by the poena talionis; (St Bellarmine)
From a practical perspective you obviously need justice to be seen to be done and prison takes care of this…
The thing is that justice is the same today as its always been; there is no OT justice that differs from NT justice. Justice consists of treating a person as he deserves because of his actions. This is why the church teaches (CCC 2266) that “Legitimate public authority has the right and duty to inflict penalties commensurate with the gravity of the crime.

It is justice that demands the punishment be commensurate with the severity of the crime, and it is far from clear that imprisonment for the worst of crimes (i.e. murder) satisfies that obligation.

I’ll just ask you what I’ve asked others: does inadmissible mean that capital punishment is or is not intrinsically evil?
It’s about as intrinsically evil as “just war”.

A circumstance could arise where we’d need the death penalty.
We don’t need it in our current Western society in order to protect the community; we do need LWOP that means LWOP.
So the Church doesn’t see it as morally justified.

I personally don’t think much about the morality of it because I don’t have to go there. From a procedural and fairness standpoint, our justice system is incapable of dealing with it 100 percent fairly, and mistakes will be made. That to me is enough to justify not using it except in some case of national emergency (e.g. hunting down and killing Bin Laden for example is a form of “death penalty”). I don’t engage in hypotheticals about “but what if it could be somehow applied 100 percent fairly, what would you say then about the morality of it yadayadayada” because hypotheticals like that are never going to happen, they’re useless, and I’m not into philosophy.

Most of the people I know (primarily non-Catholic) who support death penalty are coming at it from a “revenge” or “eye for an eye” perspective. That’s easy to dismiss as not in accordance with Catholic teaching. A small handful of people believe it’s necessary to protect society from particularly heinous killers. That’s not so easy to dismiss because we do have a bad history in the USA of letting criminals go free to re-offend and they continue to re-offend till somebody stops them permanently, either by locking them up permanently or by killing them or disabling them.

That’s all I have to say.

Last edited:
A circumstance could arise where we’d need the death penalty.
OK, then in what sense can it be termed inadmissible given that there are conceivably circumstances when it would be not only admissible but required?
We don’t need it in our current Western society in order to protect the community
This is where the earlier discussion about the primary objective of punishment comes in, because it assuredly is not protection.
So the Church doesn’t see it as morally justified.
You can reasonably argue that it is a bad idea, and would be harmful if used, but morality does not apply where there can be a valid difference of opinion about what is or is not harmful. If the argument against capital punishment is prudential, as I believe it to be, then each of us is entitled to our own opinion as it is not a moral question.
Most of the people I know (primarily non-Catholic) who support death penalty are coming at it from a “revenge” or “eye for an eye” perspective. That’s easy to dismiss as not in accordance with Catholic teaching.
This is where my dispute with o_mlly and OneSheep foundered. It all has to do with understanding the primary objective of punishment, which is “redressing the disorder caused by the offense.” That means retribution, which is understood as a matter of justice and is why the penalty must be commensurate in severity with the nature of the crime. Protection is not primary; it is secondary.

It all has to do with understanding the primary objective of punishment, which is “ redressing the disorder caused by the offense .” That means retribution, which is understood as a matter of justice and is why the penalty must be commensurate in severity with the nature of the crime.
The primary objective of punishment isn’t being addressed. It is the sentence. Sentences for different crimes have varied according to place, time and circumstances since the history of the world. No one is arguing to do away with punishment itself.

Even though the official catechism has been altered and it now declares that capital punishment is unacceptable, I strongly disagree with it. For thousands of years the Church has endorsed capital punishment, and I see this change as a denial of the traditions of the Church, because it’s the same as saying the Church has been teaching the wrong thing for thousands of years.

Personally, I strongly support death penalty, but reserved ONLY for murders. I share the same view as over 80% of the people here in Japan. I don’t think death penalty is cruel. In fact, I think it’s cruel to ABOLISH it, because it’s cruelty towards those innocent victims who lost their lives.

When the perpetrators of the 1995 Tokyo Subway Sarin Attack were executed in 2018, I was extremely happy to see that justice has been finally served, but I was also a bit frustrated that it took over 20 years for it to come.

Last edited:
This is not what they said, nor is it what the church teaches.
  • The three justifications traditionally advanced for punishment in general are retribution , deterrence , and reform . (USCCB 1980)
I’ve given an authoritative source on correct grammar. You have not. The document reads just as I have indicated.

To support your argument, you must show Magesterial documents that teach “retribution is the primary purpose of punishment". You have not done so.

The citation extracted above from USCCB 1980 does not say retribution is primary. Nor does this single sentence you offered reflect the clear meaning of the entire statement.

USCCB 1980 relegates retribution to the third purpose of punishment and teaches that retribution never warrants capital punishment:
The third justifying purpose for punishment is retribution or the restoration of the order of justice which has been violated by the action of the criminal. We grant that the need for retribution does indeed justify punishment. For the practice of punishment both presupposes a previous transgression against the law and involves the involuntary deprivation of certain goods. But we maintain that this need does not require nor does it justify taking the life of the criminal, even in cases of murder.
Punishment is commonly held to have four purposes. They are: (1) protection (of society), (2) retribution , (3) rehabilitation , and (4) deterrence . (Montana Catholic Conference, 1981)
Again, the citation extracted above from Montana Catholic Conference 1981 does not say retribution is primary. Nor does this single sentence you offered reflect the clear meaning of the entire statement.

The documents introductory paragraph states its purpose:
The following paper proposes to examine the issues involved and to provide support for the stand against capital punishment.
And, specifically to retribution as a purpose, not only is retribution not primary, retribution as a purpose of punishment is impossible.
B. Retribution
Retribution is defined as something administered or executed in recompense, to return in kind. It is defined by some as simply revenge. Part of the reasoning in the retribution theory includes Hegel’s notion of establishing an equilibrium of restoring the state of being to what it had been before the crime was committed. This, of course, is impossible because the victim cannot be restored. “We do not, in the name of the State, stab, shoot, throw acid, maim or mug persons convicted of such aggravated assaults. Where, then, is the rational logic for retention of the death penalty for inflicting death?”
(continued)

Punishment is held to have a variety of ends that may conveniently be reduced to the following four: rehabilitation , defense against the criminal, deterrence , and retribution . (Cardinal Dulles, 2001)
The cardinal priest’s credentials as a theologian are par excellence. However, Dulles, having never been ordained as bishop, does not have Magisterial authority in his commentaries.
According to Church teaching, a civil government’s response to crime should be to uphold justice by achieving four goals: rehabilitate the offender, protect society from the offender, deter future offenses, and redress the disorder caused by the offense. (Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops, 2019)
Again, the citation extracted above from Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops, 2019 does not say retribution is primary. Nor does this single sentence you offered reflect the clear meaning of the entire statement.

In fact, the document does not even mention “retribution” as a purpose of punishment, much less its primary purpose. Nor is the document even about capital punishment. The brief addresses the need for rehabilitation of those retained in state jails during the pretrial phase of their cases.
Therefore, the TCCB supports efforts to rehabilitate those who commit nonviolent state jail felonies, especially by providing for educational and vocational train-ing in order to help them live virtuous lives and contribute to the common good of Texas.
Mining documents and extracting out of context sentences to support a claim is misleading. Please stop this practice.

Even though the official catechism has been altered and it now declares that capital punishment is unacceptable, I strongly disagree with it.
It is important to understand this issue in such a way that we don’t have to choose what to believe, that everything can fit together as a coherent whole. I think this is the problem with interpreting the catechism as you appear to have done.

I believe the question is whether 2267, both the old (1997) and new (2018) versions, represent new doctrines about the morality of capital punishment, or whether they are prudential judgements about the advisability of its use.

If you assume these are new doctrines then you would be right: they would repudiate 2000 years of church teaching on the subject and we would be left with the problem of believing what was taught before or what is taught now. That would be a truly serious difficulty.

If, however, those changes are understood as prudential judgments about the inadvisability of its use in present circumstances, there is no problem at all. The church has always taught that all circumstances need to be considered, and if capital punishment cannot be used in a particular instance because of external considerations it ought not be applied.

The thing about prudential judgments is that they do not oblige our assent. You would be quite justified in believing as you do as you would be disagreeing with an opinion, not a doctrine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back