Can anyone tell me about this Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wantingtoknow
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wantingtoknow

Guest
amazon.com/Catholic-Student-Edition-Nab/dp/0979946603/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276365656&sr=1-20

I am looking to get a Bible (I’m not at all happy with the one I previously bought- I was misinformed and I do not find it appropriate for me), and this one caught my interest (price, and the fact that it is NAB). Anyway, can anyone tell me about this one in particular? For instance, does it have any features such as prayer, daily readings, etc? And it is a red letter edition? I can’t find much information about it.

Being new to the faith (actually, just exploring it on my own), I want to make a good choice in Bible, as it is such an important part of learning).

Thank you so much!

:blessyou:
 
Rather than the “student” Bible, I would suggest you invest in the NAB “Study Bible”. It has everything you need to help you study. It is big and heavy, and costs more than this one, but worth every penny.
We use it for classes, and also have a “nice” leather gift NAB for other times-- general reading etc.
If you’re shopping online, look at the publishers’ websites, then go back to Amazon to find a good price.
 
Rather than the “student” Bible, I would suggest you invest in the NAB “Study Bible”. It has everything you need to help you study. It is big and heavy, and costs more than this one, but worth every penny.
We use it for classes, and also have a “nice” leather gift NAB for other times-- general reading etc.
If you’re shopping online, look at the publishers’ websites, then go back to Amazon to find a good price.
Mark
 
amazon.com/Catholic-Student-Edition-Nab/dp/0979946603/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276365656&sr=1-20

I am looking to get a Bible (I’m not at all happy with the one I previously bought- I was misinformed and I do not find it appropriate for me), and this one caught my interest (price, and the fact that it is NAB). Anyway, can anyone tell me about this one in particular? For instance, does it have any features such as prayer, daily readings, etc? And it is a red letter edition? I can’t find much information about it.

Being new to the faith (actually, just exploring it on my own), I want to make a good choice in Bible, as it is such an important part of learning).

Thank you so much!

:blessyou:
JL: I would recommend for study The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible RSV Catholic edition, commentary and notes by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch. It is available in the New Testament only. OT will follow at some point. The notes and commentary are in line with Church teaching. NT paper back is 14.92 on amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1276376301&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I have the Catholic Answer Bible NAB also, it’s ok but not as good as the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible.
 
amazon.com/Catholic-Student-Edition-Nab/dp/0979946603/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276365656&sr=1-20

I am looking to get a Bible (I’m not at all happy with the one I previously bought- I was misinformed and I do not find it appropriate for me), and this one caught my interest (price, and the fact that it is NAB). Anyway, can anyone tell me about this one in particular? For instance, does it have any features such as prayer, daily readings, etc? And it is a red letter edition? I can’t find much information about it.

Being new to the faith (actually, just exploring it on my own), I want to make a good choice in Bible, as it is such an important part of learning).

Thank you so much!

:blessyou:
Hey Wanting to Know. I am a convert and it still shows in my choice of Bible. Catholics like hardbacks and paperbacks. I want a nice leather bound Bible that will last for a long time and a lot of use. Traditional Catholics use their missals more than their Bibles and that is why missals come leather bound. Maybe you won’t care. I was a King James guy and that leads me to the Douay-Rheims. The RSV seems next best and I actually have a leatherbound RSV. It isn’t the nice durable kind though. I also like each verse indented. I want the verse numbers right on the column. All that makes for a more expensive Bible.

If you used modern Bibles as a Protestant, I suppose you might like the modern Catholic translations such as the NAB. I don’t like it but I said I am prejudiced against cheap paperbacks presented in paragraph form. I haven’t noted the same degree of concern over translation among Catholics as there is among Protestants. I think some are objectively better than others, but the one you will read is the best…even if its paperback! Heh. God bless you on your journey.

Regards,

Rory
 
Stick with the douay rheims and stay away from editions that contain mondern inclusive language.
 
Stick with the douay rheims and stay away from editions that contain mondern inclusive language.
Are there actually published editions that use inclusive language? When I was a new convert in the Novus Ordo, I agreed to be a lector for a while. We had this female leading the lectors who explained why we needed to change the wording to be inclusive. I never changed the words. I thought inclusive lingo was always an innovation on the part of readers.
 
The NAB has goofy footnotes.

I have an old NAB Student Edition Bible (cover is different), and it’s really not that exciting.

For the price, I would suggest (as others have done) that you go with Ignatius Press’ Bible Revised Standard Version - Second Catholic Edition (about $20 on Amazon for hardcover).

Ultimately though, this would be my personal suggestion:
amazon.com/Douay-Rheims-Confirmation-Bible-Burgundy/dp/1935302426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276378035&sr=1-1

It’s a Confirmation “gift” Bible. Hardcover. $25 on Amazon. It has stories on the lives of the saints, prayers, and a Q&A section.

TAN Books and St. Benedict Press have really made the Douay-Rheims versions pretty spiffy. And, for the record, if you are insistent on the NAB, they also publish that translation as well (as well as the RSV):
NAB: amazon.com/New-American-Bible-Standard-Burgundy/dp/1935302124/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276378426&sr=1-3

RSV: amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Revised-Standard-Burgundy/dp/1935302078/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_17

The ones published by TAN/St. Benedict Press have the words of Christ in red, maps, and some other inserts as well (it changes depending on the edition/translation).
 
Hey Wanting to Know. I am a convert and it still shows in my choice of Bible. Catholics like hardbacks and paperbacks. I want a nice leather bound Bible that will last for a long time and a lot of use. Traditional Catholics use their missals more than their Bibles and that is why missals come leather bound. Maybe you won’t care. I was a King James guy and that leads me to the Douay-Rheims. The RSV seems next best and I actually have a leatherbound RSV. It isn’t the nice durable kind though. I also like each verse indented. I want the verse numbers right on the column. All that makes for a more expensive Bible.

If you used modern Bibles as a Protestant, I suppose you might like the modern Catholic translations such as the NAB. I don’t like it but I said I am prejudiced against cheap paperbacks presented in paragraph form. I haven’t noted the same degree of concern over translation among Catholics as there is among Protestants. I think some are objectively better than others, but the one you will read is the best…even if its paperback! Heh. God bless you on your journey.

Regards,

Rory
My Protestant Bible is a hardback NIV that I was given 10 years ago for moving up out of the lower elementary Sunday school class. I also try to stray away from paperbacks in general- whether for a Bible or a reading book- just too easy to rip, tear, or otherwise break.

Do you have a Missal? Should that be something I invest in, as well? I’ve never been to a Mass (yet) but I have listened to recordings of Mass from a local Catholic Church (got to love the internet!). Being a minor, I really cannot make my journey into the Catholic church yet- my parents would not allow it. That’s why I wish to learn all that I can on my own until I can go through RCIA (I go off to college in about a year- likely at a Catholic University).
 
amazon.com/Catholic-Student-Edition-Nab/dp/0979946603/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276365656&sr=1-20

I am looking to get a Bible (I’m not at all happy with the one I previously bought- I was misinformed and I do not find it appropriate for me), and this one caught my interest (price, and the fact that it is NAB). Anyway, can anyone tell me about this one in particular? For instance, does it have any features such as prayer, daily readings, etc? And it is a red letter edition? I can’t find much information about it.

Being new to the faith (actually, just exploring it on my own), I want to make a good choice in Bible, as it is such an important part of learning).

Thank you so much!

:blessyou:
I think it depends a lot on your level of understanding of old English. If you understand it just fine, and enjoy the feel of it in your mind, then I think the best Catholic Bible that can be had for study, bar none is this one:

angeluspress.org/oscatalog/item/5456

I bought one last year, and use it constantly. Every word is beautiful, and commentary is awesome and quite orthodox.

For more modern type folks who have trouble with the “thees” and “thous”, this one is very good as an overall bible with very good Catholic commentary:

google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS304US304&q=catholic+study+bible&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4872482118454757144&ei=I_8TTKWpB4P_8Ab_-8X3CQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAg#

And finally, if you’re looking for a great study bible for the NT only, (so far), I just bought this, (actually I bought it over the past few years in the form of pamphlets, and now have just bought the single bound book. I can’t say enough about this. Can’t wait until they tackle the OT. It may replace the DR with Haydock as my primary reference once complete:

amazon.com/gp/product/1586174843/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=f1734e21-edfc-457e-85f1-5c4a1ce2bc53&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A1&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0898708206&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DGYDHMDYMBVG3R5CFGX

Very hard to beat.

Hope all this is helpful. I’m not familiar with the one you’re considering. Hope somebody else can review that one for you.

Peace,

Steve
 
The NAB has goofy footnotes.

I have an old NAB Student Edition Bible (cover is different), and it’s really not that exciting.

For the price, I would suggest (as others have done) that you go with Ignatius Press’ Bible Revised Standard Version - Second Catholic Edition (about $20 on Amazon for hardcover).

Ultimately though, this would be my personal suggestion:
amazon.com/Douay-Rheims-Confirmation-Bible-Burgundy/dp/1935302426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276378035&sr=1-1

It’s a Confirmation “gift” Bible. Hardcover. $25 on Amazon. It has stories on the lives of the saints, prayers, and a Q&A section.

TAN Books and St. Benedict Press have really made the Douay-Rheims versions pretty spiffy. And, for the record, if you are insistent on the NAB, they also publish that translation as well (as well as the RSV):
NAB: amazon.com/New-American-Bible-Standard-Burgundy/dp/1935302124/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276378426&sr=1-3

RSV: amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Revised-Standard-Burgundy/dp/1935302078/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_17

The ones published by TAN/St. Benedict Press have the words of Christ in red, maps, and some other inserts as well (it changes depending on the edition/translation).
Wow…from looking through it on Amazon, I really like the Confirmation “gift” Bible for $25. It looks like it really has a lot of good things in it that would be very helpful to me, especially the questions and answers (I am a teen of confirmation age, anyway!).
 
Wow…from looking through it on Amazon, I really like the Confirmation “gift” Bible for $25. It looks like it really has a lot of good things in it that would be very helpful to me, especially the questions and answers (I am a teen of confirmation age, anyway!).
I did a quick search and saw you were younger (lol, though I’m only about 10 years older than you), so I thought it might be appropriate… especially for someone wanting to learn about the the Faith. 😉

I have been ordering a few more things since TAN joined with St. Benedict’s Press, and I can assure you that the quality is great!

You can also look inside the books I linked to on Amazon.com to see how you like the translation, etc.
 
I did a quick search and saw you were younger (lol, though I’m only about 10 years older than you), so I thought it might be appropriate… especially for someone wanting to learn about the the Faith. 😉

I have been ordering a few more things since TAN joined with St. Benedict’s Press, and I can assure you that the quality is great!

You can also look inside the books I linked to on Amazon.com to see how you like the translation, etc.
I think I will try to order the Confirmation Bible soon…do you know if Christ’s words are in red here?
 
My Protestant Bible is a hardback NIV that I was given 10 years ago for moving up out of the lower elementary Sunday school class. I also try to stray away from paperbacks in general- whether for a Bible or a reading book- just too easy to rip, tear, or otherwise break.

Do you have a Missal? Should that be something I invest in, as well? I’ve never been to a Mass (yet) but I have listened to recordings of Mass from a local Catholic Church (got to love the internet!). Being a minor, I really cannot make my journey into the Catholic church yet- my parents would not allow it. That’s why I wish to learn all that I can on my own until I can go through RCIA (I go off to college in about a year- likely at a Catholic University).
Hi again wantingtoknow. I would hold off getting a missal for later, when you are able to go to Mass. If you did not know, there are two forms of the Mass that Roman Rite Catholic can choose from. I have missals for both, but that would be an unnecessary expense. For your current needs, I’d get a Catholic Bible, and being a minor with parents not happy about your potential conversion, I don’t suppose you have a lot of money to spend on it. And you shouldn’t. You have to respect that Mom and Dad have your best interests and that God gave them to you. I was 39 when I converted to my parents chagrin. Ten years later they converted at age 70 and 71. So be tender with Mom and Dad in the whole process and make sure they know you love them and appreciate any faith building they may have started in you.

Sorry for the sermon…for what its worth…

I don’t like reading off of the internet, but you might even get some benefit from that. The Douay-Rheims is on the internet. You could get a feel for that before investing any money. It also has a few notes to help you. I just remembered, there is a classic commentary by Rev. Fr. George Haydock on the whole Bible (Douay-Rheims translation) that is also available on line. Your young eyes might more readily adapt to online reading than mine. I have a Haydock but they usually cost over a hundred dollars. Its a monstrous big hardback meant to read at table, not to be carried around. But here are the websites:

haydock1859.tripod.com/index.html
drbo.org/
 
I think I will try to order the Confirmation Bible soon…do you know if Christ’s words are in red here?
I do not know offhand… and apparently Amazon.com doesn’t have the NT up for me to look. I bet you could call/e-mail the publisher and they’d be happy to tell you.

For what it’s worth, they also publish the Confirmation gift Bible in translations other than the Douay-Rheims… they have NAB too, but I think the goofy footnotes are part of the package.
40.png
Adeodatus:
If by goofy you mean atheistic.

I agree with your recommendations. The Douay is great (and closest to the Vulgate), and the RSV is good as well.
“Goofy” was my polite way of holding back all the really awful things I would say about the NAB footnotes. Yes, they are worse than terrible.

It took a while, but it’s not that hard to get used to the Douay. I also think it lends to easier memorizing, since the language flows better.
 
amazon.com/Catholic-Student-Edition-Nab/dp/0979946603/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276365656&sr=1-20

I am looking to get a Bible (I’m not at all happy with the one I previously bought- I was misinformed and I do not find it appropriate for me), and this one caught my interest (price, and the fact that it is NAB). Anyway, can anyone tell me about this one in particular? For instance, does it have any features such as prayer, daily readings, etc? And it is a red letter edition? I can’t find much information about it.

Being new to the faith (actually, just exploring it on my own), I want to make a good choice in Bible, as it is such an important part of learning).

Thank you so much!

:blessyou:
Get the Douay-Rheims Bible, most faithful translation I know of…
 
“Goofy” was my polite way of holding back all the really awful things I would say about the NAB footnotes. Yes, they are worse than terrible.
Oh, yes… some people have that holding-back thing. What do they call it… “tact”? I guess it’s good to have that. I am however a speedy typist, so that compensates a bit. 🙂
 
Hi again wantingtoknow. I would hold off getting a missal for later, when you are able to go to Mass. If you did not know, there are two forms of the Mass that Roman Rite Catholic can choose from. I have missals for both, but that would be an unnecessary expense. For your current needs, I’d get a Catholic Bible, and being a minor with parents not happy about your potential conversion, I don’t suppose you have a lot of money to spend on it. And you shouldn’t. You have to respect that Mom and Dad have your best interests and that God gave them to you. I was 39 when I converted to my parents chagrin. Ten years later they converted at age 70 and 71. So be tender with Mom and Dad in the whole process and make sure they know you love them and appreciate any faith building they may have started in you.

Sorry for the sermon…for what its worth…

I don’t like reading off of the internet, but you might even get some benefit from that. The Douay-Rheims is on the internet. You could get a feel for that before investing any money. It also has a few notes to help you. I just remembered, there is a classic commentary by Rev. Fr. George Haydock on the whole Bible (Douay-Rheims translation) that is also available on line. Your young eyes might more readily adapt to online reading than mine. I have a Haydock but they usually cost over a hundred dollars. Its a monstrous big hardback meant to read at table, not to be carried around. But here are the websites:

haydock1859.tripod.com/index.html
drbo.org/
I totally understand that I have to respect my parents. And I am trying to do that, but I do feel that I want to learn more about the Catholic faith. I think I will be okay learning on my own, they will not mind. They may mind, however, when I tell them I want to be Catholic truly. I plan on going to the church at the college I will be attending, and I will be required to take their faith and theology classes anyway, so I feel that I will be more equipped to tell my parents after that time.

The Lord knows where I belong, and he will guide me, I’m sure of that. :gopray2:
 
My Protestant Bible is a hardback NIV that I was given 10 years ago for moving up out of the lower elementary Sunday school class. I also try to stray away from paperbacks in general- whether for a Bible or a reading book- just too easy to rip, tear, or otherwise break.

Do you have a Missal? Should that be something I invest in, as well? I’ve never been to a Mass (yet) but I have listened to recordings of Mass from a local Catholic Church (got to love the internet!). Being a minor, I really cannot make my journey into the Catholic church yet- my parents would not allow it. That’s why I wish to learn all that I can on my own until I can go through RCIA (I go off to college in about a year- likely at a Catholic University).
JL: Make sure you check out any Catholic University for it’s adherence to Church teaching.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top