Can Dogs See Things I Can't?

• Thread starter Thread starter Exporter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Exporter

I have a rather large Black Wiemeriner (dog). I have a large table for my computer. My dog likes to sleep under the table, chin on my feet.

He has always been docile until yesterday. The window blinds are drawn with the curtins closed…he can’t see outside. Yesterday he bolted from under the table, stood by me and bristled. He barked while looking at the open door that leads into the hallway. He was actually shivering as he barked for more than five minutes. I could see nothing by the door. Again, today the scene was repeated. This dog is 5 years old and never did that before. He is not afraid of firecrackers, gunshots or the dark. I wonder if he can see something that I can not see.

As a boy growing up in ranch country, I did hear old men talk about certain dogs could see spirits or ghosts that a man couldn’t see. I have read that small children can see spirits because they haven’t been taught that they can’t. Dogs certainly haven’t been taught that they can not see a spirit, do you think they can?

Ha, Ha. No as I wrote, I was sitting at the computer. He was looking at the door. Besides, his tail is cropped to about 4 inches and when he stands his ears come up to my pocket, he is a tall dog…he weights 110 pounds.

It could be he’s hearing something. My dog could be in the furthest room in the house and as soon as the neighbor across the street goes outside with his dog…BAM!, he’s at the window or door barking away.

Well, that sounds rather spooky. I think dogs can sense things we are not aware of. A friend of mine had passed away and her cousin was packing up some of her things, and the cousin’s dog suddenly started barking and acting frightened. (not to mention the tv suddenly had my friend’s school color show up on the tv). As soon as this cousin said the friend’s name, the color disappeared and the dog stopped barking and calmed down. (there are other tales, but this is the only one about the dog).

So, yeah, I think dogs can sense things. (And not to mention dogs sensing natural disasters, ect)

40.png
JimO:
Were you standing on his tail? 😃
Oh, that hurts! Laughing…choking on coffee…through the nose…!!!
:rotfl:

Peace

Tim

I think many animals are aware of things that blow past us humans. Both their hearing and sense of smell is so much more accute than our own. Plus I understand dogs can hear much higher pitched notes that humans can hear. We soak our dog’s food for 15-20 minutes every day. We set a timer and JUST before the timer buzzes, she runs into the kitchen. I suspect she can hear something that we can’t hear because she’s ALWAYS correct.

Frankly I think the best lesson is to respond to your dog’s signals and see if something is going on. I heard there were very few animal bodies from the tsunami and that the theory was the animals could feel the earthquake or could hear the wave coming and headed for the hills.

Lisa N

A veterinarian I know, who used to live in California, said that several minutes before an earth tremor all the dogs in the neighborhood would start to howl. Their hearing is phenomenally sensitive. Just in the past couple of weeks we have learned that there were almost no animal carcases in the wreckage of the tsunami; they all got out ahead of time.

Dogs have a more acute sense of hearing and smell than humans do, but I think their overall sight is worse. IIRC, their sight is limited to black and white. I also don’t think their night vision is as good as cats, but I suspect it’s better than ours.

As for “small children can see spirits,” I think that’s just folklore. Children have vivid imaginations, and less of a rational understanding of the world, so they really do believe they’ve seen spirits more often than adults do. However, there have certainly been Church-approved apparitions to both adults and children.

40.png
digitonomy:
Dogs have a more acute sense of hearing and smell than humans do, but I think their overall sight is worse. IIRC, their sight is limited to black and white. I also don’t think their night vision is as good as cats, but I suspect it’s better than ours.
This is pretty much correct. Dogs have fewer “cones” in their retinas and more “rods” than humans. They DO se some color but not as much as humans. Their daytime vision is fairly poor; their night vision is better because of this color-blandness (not a typo). They do a lot of “seeing” with their ears and noses.

I have TWO big ol Labrador Retrivers…and dogs do have an “incredible sence” about things that most humans can’t relate to. I can have all the windows and doors closed in our home and they will know if someone walks down the sidewalk in front of our house, they know if there is a cat cutting across our lawn:ehh: and I sometimes look outside thinking…okay, there is nothing out there…what are you worked up about, and sure enuff, they find it.
I have a friend who’s dog chases shadows…try and figue that one out:confused:

I have had similar experiences.

Once I had 3 dogs in the house–one was my own, a Lab/Dobie mix 6 month old, and the other two, a similar and older mix and a golden large puppy, both visiting.

All three dogs suddenly bristled, one would not leave the room until I led them…then they all “patrolled”. I finally had to let them outside. They didn’t want to come back in, which REALLY freaked me out!

It wasn’t my house as I was houssitting for my now-ex boyfriend, who was working a 24 hr shift as a firefighter.

I had holy water and sprinkled it around. It seemed to calm us down, and throughout the night the dogs, who surrounded me entirely, growled periodically. Not normal behavior. There were no tremors detected (here in MN), nor any weird weather patterns. Very odd.

It never happened again, although I learned later on that the previous homeowner, an elderly woman, died around that time period (I think). Not sure of this last as this was awhile ago.

But if you live on a ranch, a dog will react that way to a coyote or a wolf…my dog has been absolutely REPELLED by “marks” on our walks through wooded areas…and I suspect her hackles would be up if we had a wild canine visitor outside and the wind was right.

40.png
mercygate:
A veterinarian I know, who used to live in California, said that several minutes before an earth tremor all the dogs in the neighborhood would start to howl. Their hearing is phenomenally sensitive. Just in the past couple of weeks we have learned that there were almost no animal carcases in the wreckage of the tsunami; they all got out ahead of time.
Having grown up in California and experiencing several earthquakes, I can verify this.

Hi Exporter,

Not to be nit-picky, but we have a weimeraner and she is only about 70 lbs, and is grey-silver. Is your dog a mix of something?
I didn’t know there were black ones.

Anyway, our girl is extremely sensitive to sound. She gets especially nervous when husband is not home and it is dark outside.

It’s nice to have a large barking dog to frighten the solicitors.

40.png
Cairisti:
Well, that sounds rather spooky. I think dogs can sense things we are not aware of. A friend of mine had passed away and her cousin was packing up some of her things, and the cousin’s dog suddenly started barking and acting frightened. (not to mention the tv suddenly had my friend’s school color show up on the tv). As soon as this cousin said the friend’s name, the color disappeared and the dog stopped barking and calmed down. (there are other tales, but this is the only one about the dog).

So, yeah, I think dogs can sense things. (And not to mention dogs sensing natural disasters, ect)
Here in the Philippines, there is a similar belief, quite widespread, that dogs can see the spirits of the dead when they begin making howling sounds for no apparent reason at all.

However it is a known fact that dogs have a far sharper sense of smell and hearing than people, which explains why just prior to earthquakes for instance, they become uneasy.

Gerry 🙂

My Irish wolfhound cross senses thunderstorms before they appear on the 50 mile radar. If Brighet is trembling there is a thunderstorm on the way.

Dogs can definitely sense things. I have the friendliest black lab ever. She loves EVERYBODY and will greet everyone on our walks with wagging tail and “smile” on her face.

Twice on our walks with her (she is 8 years old) she has met a person and absolutely bristles her fur, makes her hackles stand up behind her neck, and growls the nastiest growl I have EVER heard come from her.

Boy, does THAT give ME the creeps! What does she sense about this person that I can’t see?:eek:

As far as children seeing spirits and angels – I believe they can. When son #1 was about 2, he described in GREAT detail the angel that had visited him. He even had a name - Michael! His description fit perfectly. At that point in his little life, he knew nothing about Archangel Michael. Sons #2 and 3 would laugh and giggle and point and “nothing” as if interacting with someone from the time they were about 9-10 months until about age 2. There would be nothing there (on wall or ceiling), but they would coo and giggle. It was very strange, but very comforting.🙂

My dog can see a thrown frisbee on a moonless night. He’s a “mensa” dog. 😃 Seriously, my dog hears things I could never hear and I always pay attention to his reactions to other humans. (told you; a “mensa” dog)

Oh boy! I agree with you wholeheartedly. Our dogs “know” when some person is not “right”. Have had this experience all too often.

40.png
Cairisti:

A cousin of mine had a very similar experience with a dog whose mistress had passed away.

I do think that our animals have a very heightened sense of what is going on around them. I can only say that from the things that I have observed in both dogs and cats over the years.

MaggieOH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back