Can I fast during Easter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chopstocky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chopstocky

Guest
During Easter season is it ok to fast on Wednesdays and Fridays? The season being a celebration and ‘feast’, I was wondering if I should hold off until after or continue with this practice.
 
You may certainly continue to fast, if you wish. You are not required to do so outside of Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Abstinence from meat was not in effect last week (the Octave of Easter) but is re-established on Fridays this week.
 
You may certainly continue to fast, if you wish. You are not required to do so outside of Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Abstinence from meat was not in effect last week (the Octave of Easter) but is re-established on Fridays this week.
I thought that on Fridays that are not during Lent, that you can choose a different form of penance other than abstinence of meat. That’s what I read in the CCC. Was this recently changed?
 
During Easter season is it ok to fast on Wednesdays and Fridays? The season being a celebration and ‘feast’, I was wondering if I should hold off until after or continue with this practice.
Absolutely! You can fast whenever you feel called to do so. Remember catholics used to abstain from meat every Friday all year and are still encouraged to do that or some other act of service.
 
I thought that on Fridays that are not during Lent, that you can choose a different form of penance other than abstinence of meat. That’s what I read in the CCC. Was this recently changed?
The form of penance is regulated by the local bishops. In the USA, a different form of penance may be substituted. This is not so throughout the world.

The only mention of Friday in the Catechism of the Catholic Church regarding penance does NOT say what you claim:
1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church’s penitential practice. These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top