N
nfinke
Guest
Maybe my theology is off base here, but here is something I was thinking about based on what I heard from a friend:
Is it possible for love to exist in hell?
If we assume that all true love comes from God, and that Hell is a place devoid of God’s presence (as I’ve heard it defined) it would seem that Hell is a place devoid of love.
If this were true, it seems it wouldn’t be possible for anyone who truly loved someone else to go to hell, even if they met none of the criteria for salvation.
Again, assuming the premises are accurate, let’s assume (for a clear cut example) John Wayne Gacy felt true, selfless, Agape style love for his mother.
The way I see it, the only way his soul would “fit into” hell as defined would be if there was some sort of “bizzaro purgatory” that would force him to stop loving his mother, which obviously seems silly.
But otherwise I see it as necessary that some form of love exists in hell, and therefore there is some form of God’s presence in hell,which doesn’t seem right to me.
Again just a random thought I had as a layperson. Would love someone to poke holes in it.
Is it possible for love to exist in hell?
If we assume that all true love comes from God, and that Hell is a place devoid of God’s presence (as I’ve heard it defined) it would seem that Hell is a place devoid of love.
If this were true, it seems it wouldn’t be possible for anyone who truly loved someone else to go to hell, even if they met none of the criteria for salvation.
Again, assuming the premises are accurate, let’s assume (for a clear cut example) John Wayne Gacy felt true, selfless, Agape style love for his mother.
The way I see it, the only way his soul would “fit into” hell as defined would be if there was some sort of “bizzaro purgatory” that would force him to stop loving his mother, which obviously seems silly.
But otherwise I see it as necessary that some form of love exists in hell, and therefore there is some form of God’s presence in hell,which doesn’t seem right to me.
Again just a random thought I had as a layperson. Would love someone to poke holes in it.