It’s simply a contemporary design and interpretation of the Crucified Christ, radical traditionalist or schismatic or even fundamentalist evangelical assertions notwithstanding. It was first designed for HH Pope Paul VI.
As for meaning: “If I be liftted up, I will draw all men unto myself.”
(This is my post from a previous thread on the same topic
http://www.windsofchange.net/images/Pope_JP2_cross.jpg
You mean like this one?
I have one, and I love it.
My understanding of the significance of the bowed crossbeam is that there was/is no tree in the world that could bear the burden of our sin as Christ did. Only He could.
The way the corpus is crafted really emphasizes His suffering–not that other styles downplay it–in a way that really speaks to me.
DISCLAIMER: Catholic Answers has turned over the archive to Catholic-Questions.org and no longer owns, manages, or moderates the forums. For additional apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.