Yes, it certainly could. So can Harry Potter and TV shows like CHarmed. Yet, wouldn’t life be boring without them? But yes, anything that relates to New Age is prohibited by most Christians.
Yes it is prohibited for many reasons but I think it can all be summed up that it is because it is dangerous. The church has a duty to protect our souls and to act as a guide to bring us to God. They have an obligation to ensure we are safe. It only makes sense that they should prohibit such things.
It always helps me to remember that this is the churchs job, to look out for my soul, and that they have had centuries to conclude such things. They have gathered information through many channels over the centuries from revelations, prophets, exorcisms, the bible, the saints and through just plain experiance. The church has absolutely nothing to gain by asking me to avoid such things.
How embarassingly stupid would I be not to listen?
On a side note: It always amazes me though how many people conclude things on their own or go against the chruch because they don’t agree. Ever since I was a very little kid I’ve thought such statements were incredibly interesting and odd from a logical standpoint.
I’ve always inquired of such people where they get their information (yes even as a kid and yes I was weird) I’ve yet, to this day, to hear a response that holds up even slightly against what the church has concluded. How can you argue with centuries of learning and documentation through thousands of religiously educated persons? I do have slightly more respect / regard for the thoughts of those persons who have an actually degree in theology and so forth but even those persons in and of themselves don’t have the kind of experiance or access to information that would hold any weight with me. (Usually those persons don’t have conclusions they’ve made on their own so they aren’t usually the problem.)
It also puzzles me that so many people assume they have control over the spiritual situation because they “protected themselves” or whatever when they did a Ouigi board or whatnot. Anyone who knows the very basics about spirits is aware of the fact that they don’t operate on our time schedule. With that being said how can they conclude anything from their experiance when the actual fallout from it could be anytime…it could be now, two weeks from now or 100 years from now. Like I said they don’t operate within our timeframes. Even scientists recognize the theory of relativity and that time is relative and that time always needs to be considered in every interaction. Yet despite all of this persons continue to draw conclusions on the spirit world based on their own interactions. Very puzzling.
Sorry I know that is totally sidetracking.
With respect to astral projection I know there are “scientists” who have theories about it but a theory is actually an idea. Not fact. The part that science misses even in your book is the spiritual side of the picture. I can see the possibility of this happening and being able to do it. I’ve seen some such books and read some of them and although the scientific look at something is interesting again I would only be completely embarassed at my stupidity if I were to attempt such a thing.
I went to school for scientists and know many as a result. One thing we all agree on is that we don’t know enough about anything. We all know, and I am sure your author would agree, that there are things that we don’t understand about spirit. With that being said you are taking big risks with astral projection because of the unknown. All these scientists, even my physics professor whose own mentor was a peer or Einsteins admits that there is a possibility of spirit as the church teaches it and that there are to many things we don’t understand. This introduces huge risk, probably some risk the church wouldn’t even realize.
Again, I fall back onto the church and religion. Religion the oldest organizaiton to recognize spirit.
How stupid would I be to try such things as astral projection?? Even those who tried it don’t know the fallout as it could be 100’s of years from now.
Puzzling…