G
grannymh
Guest
The same as now. God loved them and brought them to Himself.I wonder what happened to any miscarried babies, or stillborn infants that belonged to the Patriarchs?
The same as now. God loved them and brought them to Himself.I wonder what happened to any miscarried babies, or stillborn infants that belonged to the Patriarchs?
That doesn’t make what it said incorrect. See CCC 1257-1261.The Catholic Encyclopedia is not an authority. What you read was the opinion of the writer of the article.
Yes, it was. How does it not address the question? We can’t know the mind of God, so it doesn’t even make sense to speculate about it. God wills all men be saved. That doesn’t prevent some of them from being damned. I also address the objection that you pose (i.e., that if infants are damned without Baptism, that God created them “without chance” for salvation) in that in his infinite wisdom and perfect knowledge that he may do this as a mercy, knowing such souls would disgrace their Baptism by mortal sin and be lost if they led full lives.@ IntegraCatholic
Was post 168 intended to address my post 164 to you? If so, I don’t believe you addressed my question.
M
OK, but I’m a little bit confused. I asked a very simple question and instead of a simple answer I get a meandering answer that I’m left to dissect to find the heart of your answer. You see, I’m not educated in these matters so here goes…Yes, it was. How does it not address the question? We can’t know the mind of God, so it doesn’t even make sense to speculate about it. God wills all men be saved. That doesn’t prevent some of them from being damned. I also address the objection that you pose (i.e., that if infants are damned without Baptism, that God created them “without chance” for salvation) in that in his infinite wisdom and perfect knowledge that he may do this as a mercy, knowing such souls would disgrace their Baptism by mortal sin and be lost if they led full lives.
The first grace of conversion and final perseverance in grace are free gifts of God. No one merits these things. No one can freely choose them. They are free gifts. This is an authentic Catholic understanding of predestination. There are five general schools concerning grace and predestination, but they all agree on these two points. If this is God “not respecting the free will of his creatures” (this is a very, very strange way of putting it, for God created man… he gives him his free will; man doesn’t ever deserve anything from God; God cannot lack respect for what is his own gift, etc.), then, yes, I would say he does not. This isn’t the case, of course, for the reasons given. The free gift of the first grace is true for an infant or for a 90-year-old man. It is a free gift, regardless of choices, regardless of age. This is a mystery, but we can still “speculate” as to the reasons.Getting to the nugget of your answer. Based on what you’ve written you believe that God doesn’t respect the free will of at least some of His creatures and creates some of them without any hope of salvation. I think that idea is summed up in the terms limited atonement and unconditional election…at least from what I’ve read here on CA’s website. I thought those were Calvinist ideas, but like I said, I’m not educated about such things.
LOL. What?I only know what I read in the Catechism and here on CA… But I noticed that you prefer some kind of “special knowledge” that you were telling Granny about over the Catechism. Hmmm.
No, no, no one has “freedom to choose him”; the first grace is a free gift. No one can do it without the special grace of God, which he gives to some and not to others. This is not Calvinism. It is the authentic Catholic teaching on predestination (to be distinguished from Calvinistic predestinarianism). Look these two terms up on the Catholic Encyclopedia for a broader treatment.Now if I take in to account that you believe that God denies some people’s free will because it’s better to stick them in limbo rather than give them freedom to choose Him
That is one explanation. First you don’t want me to address this, then you do… can we try to keep all our ducks in a row here, please?and perhaps commit personal sin and that you call this a “mercy” and apply it to the real world, by your reasoning God is being merciful to the all of the babies who are stillborn or miscarried or aborted.
First of all, you have twisted what I said. I was speaking of those who end up being stillborn or murdered. The application is a non sequitur. It doesn’t mean everyone should be murdered; it was a possible explanation as to why some endure such by the permissive will of God. What’s more, it would be to attempt to make a definitive judgment about the mind of God, which we cannot do, as I have continually said. I refer you back to Romans 11. The merciful thing is to baptize these poor infants who have no other means of salvation to be saved.And since mercy is a good thing and since there are about 4000 abortions a day in the US you must see that as a HUGE outpouring of mercy. True? If not why?
This is a loaded question. Concerning free will and salvation, see above. None, thanks be to God. Our Lady is better to us than we deserve. I would also add that this doesn’t have the slightest bearing on the truth or falsity of my position or yours.How many of your children has God been merciful to by not allowing them to exercise their free will and sending them to hell?
So, what you are saying is that we don’t have freewill to accept or reject that gift. Interesting, but false.The first grace of conversion and final perseverance in grace are free gifts of God. No one merits these things. No one can freely choose them. They are free gifts. This is an authentic Catholic understanding of predestination. There are five general schools concerning grace and predestination, but they all agree on these two points. If this is God “not respecting the free will of his creatures” (this is a very, very strange way of putting it, for God created man… he gives him his free will; man doesn’t ever deserve anything from God; God cannot lack respect for what is his own gift, etc.), then, yes, I would say he does not. This isn’t the case, of course, for the reasons given. The free gift of the first grace is true for an infant or for a 90-year-old man. It is a free gift, regardless of choices, regardless of age. This is a mystery, but we can still “speculate” as to the reasons.
Huh?No, no, no one has “freedom to choose him”; the first grace is a free gift. No one can do it without the special grace of God, which he gives to some and not to others. This is not Calvinism. It is the authentic Catholic teaching on predestination (to be distinguished from Calvinistic predestinarianism). Look these two terms up on the Catholic Encyclopedia for a broader treatment.
Maybe because you tend to contradict yourself.That is one explanation. First you don’t want me to address this, then you do… can we try to keep all our ducks in a row here, please?
You know nothing at all about the topic, and you presume to say whether something is true or false. I don’t understand so many people on these forums.So, what you are saying is that we don’t have freewill to accept or reject that gift. Interesting, but false.
Yes, someone who is predestined must respond to grace, and that is included in his predestination. The same is not necessarily true of those who are not predestined.CCC 600 To God, all moments of time are present in their immediacy. When therefore he establishes his eternal plan of “predestination”, he includes in it each person’s free response to his grace:
No, you asked a opinion. I gave the principle and then answered your question, anyway.Maybe because you tend to contradict yourself.
Now that is insulting. But as several posters in this thread have indicated, you are baiting me. I’m much smarter than that. But I think it’s time you are reported.You know nothing at all about the topic, and you presume to say whether something is true or false. I don’t understand so many people on these forums.![]()
No, you can’t have it both ways. Either your notions apply to all or to none. Regardless of how a little one dies God’s permissive will is at work and since you offered that it’s a merciful act then it is so regardless of how the little one dies whether naturally or not. And by the way, abortion IS murder.First of all, you have twisted what I said. I was speaking of those who end up being stillborn or murdered. The application is a non sequitur. It doesn’t mean everyone should be murdered; it was a possible explanation as to why some endure such by the permissive will of God. What’s more, it would be to attempt to make a definitive judgment about the mind of God, which we cannot do, as I have continually said. I refer you back to Romans 11. The merciful thing is to baptize these poor infants who have no other means of salvation to be saved.