W
WannabeSaint
Guest
I’ve heard it said by posters on here that one can never have absolute certainty they fully consented to a sin. Would this imply that we can never know if we have free will or not?
Keep it simple. When you hear your conscience saying “that is wrong” but you choose to ignore it and proceed with the sin. I would say that was exercising full consent of the willI’ve heard it said by posters on here that one can never have absolute certainty they fully consented to a sin. Would this imply that we can never know if we have free will or not?
Is this true in every case? If you accidentally take the Lord’s name in vain, you’ve still neglected to Revere God. If you accidentally kill someone with your car, that would be a sin, wouldn’t it?That’s why it is also said, you can’t sin by accident.
You were either coerced, under duress, or you consented.
Don’t complicate it.
God is God of simplicity.
The devil introduces complication, just as he did in the garden of Eden.
Not if it is truly accidental.CRV:![]()
Is this true in every case? If you accidentally take the Lord’s name in vain, you’ve still neglected to Revere God. If you accidentally kill someone with your car, that would be a sin, wouldn’t it?That’s why it is also said, you can’t sin by accident.
And aren’t a lot if sins of ommision done accidentally? If I neglect to do works of mercy because I’m just not thinking of others, wouldn’t that be sin?
Not to hijack the thread, I agree with your basic premise, and I don’t know about anyone else, but I certainly know if I’ve chosen to sin on purpose! It’s pretty easy to see.
God’s enemy is the father of lies (John 8:44). We are constantly against bad spirits and principalities ( Ephesians 6:12). These spirits aren’t polite spirits who respect no humans. Our God respects our freewill. But the bad spirits would use all deceits to win souls. As we know deceits are made in the way they appear as if harmless.I’ve heard it said by posters on here that one can never have absolute certainty they fully consented to a sin. Would this imply that we can never know if we have free will or not?
Yes. Sin is a deliberate choice.Is this true in every case?
If you accidentally take the Lord’s name in vain, you’ve still neglected to Revere God.
If you accidentally kill someone with your car, that would be a sin, wouldn’t it?
Possibly a sin of omission if at some point you remembered you should do them, but fail to make an effort to do them. Or if the neglect was a choice, then yes, because the focus is on self instead of neighbor. If it just doesn’t cross one’s mind, then greater effort needs to be made I would think.If I neglect to do works of mercy because I’m just not thinking of others, wouldn’t that be sin?