S
spunjalebi
Guest
Regarding marriage as a sacrament, preserving virginity for marriage, annulments, and related?
The reason why I am asking is because I know many Christians who don’t believe in the concept of a sacrament, and also don’t believe that marriage is a sacrament. When I ask them what they do believe marriage is, they usually tell me that the Bible says marriage is a deeply spiritual bond which cannot be “turn asunder” by man. When I point out that people get divorced all the time, that’s usually when they say it doesn’t dismiss the fact of what the Bible says. Okay so I do agree with that for the most part…but how do WE know that the Bible says marriage is a sacrament?
If the Bible says marriage is a sacrament, then how do we know the Bible’s instructions for annulments? Are annulments even mentioned in the Bible? Where does the justification for an annulment come from?
How do we really know that the Bible talks about preserving virginity for marriage in particular? St. Paul does talk about how a virgin should remain so, and “it is better to marry than burn with passion,” but does that necessarily mean that Bible actually says wait until marriage? How do we interpret the Bible regarding these issues without going beyond the context of what it says and misapplying a translation?
The reason why I am asking is because I know many Christians who don’t believe in the concept of a sacrament, and also don’t believe that marriage is a sacrament. When I ask them what they do believe marriage is, they usually tell me that the Bible says marriage is a deeply spiritual bond which cannot be “turn asunder” by man. When I point out that people get divorced all the time, that’s usually when they say it doesn’t dismiss the fact of what the Bible says. Okay so I do agree with that for the most part…but how do WE know that the Bible says marriage is a sacrament?
If the Bible says marriage is a sacrament, then how do we know the Bible’s instructions for annulments? Are annulments even mentioned in the Bible? Where does the justification for an annulment come from?
How do we really know that the Bible talks about preserving virginity for marriage in particular? St. Paul does talk about how a virgin should remain so, and “it is better to marry than burn with passion,” but does that necessarily mean that Bible actually says wait until marriage? How do we interpret the Bible regarding these issues without going beyond the context of what it says and misapplying a translation?