:canada: LATEST: [Trudeau] only turned to Pfizer, Moderna after vaccine deal with China failed: opposition | OP: 'Success is fragile': Top doctor warn

• Thread starter Thread starter ATraveller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably the beginning of a second wave.

And no delayed reporting.
PHAC has come in for criticism in recent months as Canada’s response to the COVID-19 crisis has been questioned by some critics. The pandemic has killed roughly 9,200 people in this country.

The federal government’s initial reluctance to close the border as the virus spread in Asia, its depleted national emergency stockpile of personal protective equipment (PPE) during the early months of this pandemic, confusing guidance on the wearing of masks and other perceived failures have been cited by opposition parties in Parliament and others as examples of Canada’s uneven response to COVID-19.

Last edited:
Last edited:

From CTV News, hyperlinked words go to the local CTV News sites for the respective provinces:
Ontario (732) - The province added a record 732 COVID-19 cases – the most new cases reported in a single day. The province also reported 76 deaths – 74 of them, however, are from the spring and summer that were not reported until now due to a data correction.

Quebec (1,052) – Health officials announced 1,052 new cases of COVID-19 in the province. Seven deaths – six of which happened between Sept. 25-30 and one before Sept. 25 – and 539 recoveries.

Nova Scotia (1)One new case was announced in the province on Friday.

Manitoba (43) – Health officials announced 43 new cases, one death and 11 recoveries.

Saskatchewan (13)Thirteen new cases and 10 recoveries were announced.

Alberta (122) – Health officials announced 122 new cases, three deaths and 157 recoveries.

British Columbia (161) – The province announced 161 new cases, three deaths and 118 recoveries.

Last edited:
So then those 3 months “ rest” after going down to zero really mean that it goes on the radar? Am I understanding this properly?
It never ends…
This is like a bad dream,one wishes to wake up from.
Are your borders closed or relatively closed ? Is there tourism? Just curious .
Ours are still closed. Airports as well. Just flights for specific reasons, visas not tourism.

Last edited:
So then those 3 months “ rest” after going down to zero really mean that it goes on the radar? Am I understanding this properly?
It never ends…
This is like a bad dream sometimes, one wishes to wake up from.
The virus never went away. There were much fewer cases during the start of our summer in June but then it went wrong in August.
I took these from Wikipedia (the names of the provinces don’t matter, just the trend).
Western Canada
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Eastern Canada
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Are your borders closed or relatively closed ? Is there tourism? Just curious .
Ours are still closed. Airports as well. Just flights for specific reasons, visas not tourism.
Flights between Canadian cities are allowed. Except Atlantic Canada has closed their borders to the rest of the country. International flights continue but people need a good reason to enter Canada. There’s no tourism from outside Canada except for a few sneaky Americans lying to border agents they’re driving from the 48 states through Canada to get to Alaska when they just want a vacation in Canada.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Would you say the perception of the people in Canada in general…is that of a relative safety and freedom of movement? Or are you all getting too tired? In general…

Last edited:
Thank you.
Would you say the perception of the people in Canada in general…is that of a relative safety and freedom of movement? Or are you all getting too tired? In general…
Personally, I don’t mind the travel restrictions. It’s hurting the economy but safety is more important. I think most people in Canada agree with me.
The biggest concern is another lockdown. I’m not too concerned myself but that’s because I wasn’t badly affected by that. But unfortunately big cities like Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal are close to being locked down again and I know people there are very depressed. And we know more people have died from overdosing from drugs in Western Canada than from COVID-19 because sadly drugs have been the only escape for them during the first lockdowns.

Last edited:
I’ll remember you tonight in my prayers.
One totally understands how depression may creep in.
I’m glad that you are handling it well and that you are well.
We are exhausted…beyond words . Our family is lucky, we have a rural property but there are people in apartments since March… with their children not attending school since then. But that is for another thread.
Thanks for the updates!

Last edited:
I’ll remember you tonight in my prayers.
One totally understands how depression may creep in.
I’m glad that you are handling it well and that you are well.
We are exhausted…beyond words . Our family is lucky, we have a rural property but there are people in apartments since March… with their children not attending school since then. But that is for another thread.
Thanks for the uodates!
Thank you for the prayers.
I wasn’t aware of what was happening in Argentina. Thank you for telling me about what’s happening there. I’ll be praying for you and Argentina and for things to be better during your spring and summer.
🙏

It was the day Mr. Ford had been dreading: His government would be imposing new restrictions on the population-rich areas of Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa. Indoor dining, cinemas and gyms – among other things – would be closed for at least 28 days, as COVID-19 cases rose in the province yet again.
Four days later, an entirely different message was emanating from another high-profile conservative leader, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney. In a clip shared widely on social media, Mr. Kenney railed against lockdowns and “aggressive” enforcement, saying he wouldn’t “micromanage people’s lives.”

favicon.ico
Coronavirus – 5 Aug 20

COVID-19 in the U.S.: How do Canada’s provinces rank against American states?

Looking at confirmed coronavirus cases per million people, how do the U.S. states compare to Canada’s provinces and territories?

Data current as of Saturday, end October 2020.

Basically Manitoba would be in 36th place if both countries were ranking their data together.

Chart shows the spikes, falls, and second waves in an easy-to-read format.

There was discussion in another thread about why Canada has closed its borders to USian auto traffic from March 2020 (and is still closed through end November). It was because USians who were under lockdown / restrictions had shrugged and crossed a line on a map to a place where the barbershop / cinema / lottery outlet / malls (etc.) were still open.

Canada and most of Europe have made their anti-virus plans at the national level, with some local (name removed by moderator)ut (and local kibbitzing). The USA has operated at the local level, with some national (name removed by moderator)ut (and national kibbitzing). So that’s why I posted a map comparing the neighboring nations.

It’s less likely that USians will jet to Europe to do their shopping; it’s mostly about what people are doing within driving distance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back