Cardinal Ok's Tridentine Mass for Detriot

• Thread starter Thread starter Cognovimus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article makes it appear that dissention is wide spread in the Archdiocese of Detroit. Here is a good example of why you can’t believe everything that is on the Internet.

In spite of the spin of negativity in the article, I see this move as a win-win situation.

Having a occasional Latin mass in the archdiocese can help folks relate their past to their children, as well as utilize older church buildings in the city with the additional civic benefit of showcasing the city and bringing suburban people into town on a Saturday afternoon(the article doesn’t mention the time of the masses, but Saturday would have to be the best time for getting the family out to it), which got to help the city economically.

I don’t see a downside to the cardinal’s decision.

40.png
Mokey:
This article makes it appear that dissention is wide spread in the Archdiocese of Detroit. Here is a good example of why you can’t believe everything that is on the Internet.
Oh, but it is. This is my archdiocese. Good, orthodox priests are being crucified for their spirituality, and are not being assigned as pastors (even with the “shortage”) in parishes. This is a diocese that will cluster inner city parishes because there aren’t enough priests, yet wealthy suburban parishes house 3-4 priests and have several weekend associates (read: retired priests).

Cardinal Maida bends under pressure from his “staff,” who for the most part lean very far to the left. Liturgical abuses are widespread. Diobedience to Rome, Canon Law, and the General Instruction occurs on a regular basis. It is rarer to find a parish that is in alignment with the Holy See, than to find a disobedient parish. In a lot of these places, the inmates are running the asylum. The priests are placing all the power into the hands of the laity, and it’s a nightmare.

There is schism in this archdiocese, and it is nothing new. We need a Bishop Bruskewicz or Bishop Burke to unite us. Cardinal Maida wants to be all things to all people, and make sure they get their “warm fuzzies.” This garbage began with Cardinal Dearden. Hopefully, the radical left-wing priests will begin to die off, because there are good men who want to be priests in this archdiocese. As it stands right now, many of these good men are being turned away from the seminary, or being expelled. I personally know men who became order priests or priests under incardinaton of other diocese because Detroit didn’t want them.

I’m sure Maida will have the Tridentine Mass offered at parishes “hostile” to its implementation, because then the Archdiocese can say that there is no attendance, and remove it again.

Sue,
I too am in the ArchDiocese of Detroit

I would disagree with you on the placement of parishes. Cardinal Maida does try to be many things to many people. But since he is actually trying to reach out to the traditional Catholic community, (abiet for all the wrong reasons) I really expect him to do it properly.

Most likely we will see it at St. Mary’s in Greektown and St. Joseph’s on Gratiot.

They currently offer the N.O. Mass in Latin and have the Latin knowledge to implement. They have also been proponents of an indult TLM Mass.

And while I’ve seen some really bad parishes, I have also seen very good ones (and am in a very good one).

40.png
Brendan:
Cardinal Maida does try to be many things to many people. But since he is actually trying to reach out to the traditional Catholic community, (abiet for all the wrong reasons)
Detroit Sue:
Cardinal Maida bends under pressure from his “staff,” who for the most part lean very far to the left. Liturgical abuses are widespread. Diobedience to Rome, Canon Law, and the General Instruction occurs on a regular basis. It is rarer to find a parish that is in alignment with the Holy See, than to find a disobedient parish. In a lot of these places, the inmates are running the asylum. The priests are placing all the power into the hands of the laity, and it’s a nightmare.
Where does this information and opinion come from and what would you both consider good parishes? Enlighten someone who is apperently very naive to the ways of my Archdiocese.

We’re new to the Southfield area, looking for a home parish and have seen some of the many abuses when visiting different parishes in the area - any suggestions on some of the good parishes in the metro Detroit area?

Also, any news on which parishes will be offering the Tridentine Mass? I’ve never been to one and am very interested to attend!

What’s considered an ‘abuse’. This, from a novice. Thanks.

Several liturgical abuses, such as
  • Everyone standing around the altar holding hands for the Lord’s Prayer
  • Everyone joining in with the priest during the “Through Him, With Him, In Him”
  • The priest sitting in a pew with everyone else
  • The priest receiving communion after everyone else (with an extraordinary minister handing it to him)
  • Using regular wheat bread for the host
  • Extraordinary ministers going into the Tabernacle
  • Not kneeling during the consecration
These are just some of the things we have noticed at several different parishes - it’s been hard to find someplace that doesn’t have at least one thing wrong but we’ve been trying to locate someplace that isn’t “as bad”. 🙂

glizmo, if you would like to PM me, perhaps I can help you with some parish suggestions.

Detroit Sue:
glizmo, if you would like to PM me, perhaps I can help you with some parish suggestions.
Sue, I’d be interested in that myself, I am starting to wonder about my parish. Let me know if you agree.

40.png
glizmo:
Several liturgical abuses, such as
  • Everyone standing around the altar holding hands for the Lord’s Prayer
  • Everyone joining in with the priest during the “Through Him, With Him, In Him”
  • The priest sitting in a pew with everyone else
  • The priest receiving communion after everyone else (with an extraordinary minister handing it to him)
  • Using regular wheat bread for the host
  • Extraordinary ministers going into the Tabernacle
  • Not kneeling during the consecration
I guess I must be lucky that in all my 30-something years, I have never seen abuses like this. Well, I know that many parishes in the area have “Life Teen” masses which gather the kids onto the altar, but I have never attended one.

The standard “Traditionalist” complaint seems to be that “oooh, that darned ‘Novus Ordo’ mass has made all this possible” and that the only way is the Tridentine way. But I don’t believe it.

What is the difference between a TLM and a Tridentine one?

Love,
Anne

Melman:
I guess I must be lucky that in all my 30-something years, I have never seen abuses like this. Well, I know that many parishes in the area have “Life Teen” masses which gather the kids onto the altar, but I have never attended one.

The standard “Traditionalist” complaint seems to be that “oooh, that darned ‘Novus Ordo’ mass has made all this possible” and that the only way is the Tridentine way. But I don’t believe it.
I agree with you on the “Traditionalist” way of thinking. However, my pastor offers an orthodox Novus Ordo mass, so it can be done.

Peace of Christ Be With You!

I am associated with the group who has been leading the way in restoring the TLM. The road has been a long one, laden with obstructions and signposts of sabotage with dis-information written in fine print. We were labeled, and called names, but we traveled the high road in the game of sticks and stones, taking our cue from the Catechism, and worked the system in charity.

A word to the wise: The “Fat Cantor” hasn’t sung, so hold off on any speculating, pessimistic attitudes, or viewing the glass as being half-empty. Talking about things re-hashes stuff we already know. Direct your thoughts on prayer. Pray for a wise and proper implementation of the TLM. Pray for less spiritual snobbery in the Archdiocese and greater fidelity to Holy Mother the Church.

40.png
zelenak:
Peace of Christ Be With You!

I am associated with the group who has been leading the way in restoring the TLM. The road has been a long one, laden with obstructions and signposts of sabotage with dis-information written in fine print. We were labeled, and called names, but we traveled the high road in the game of sticks and stones, taking our cue from the Catechism, and worked the system in charity.

A word to the wise: The “Fat Cantor” hasn’t sung, so hold off on any speculating, pessimistic attitudes, or viewing the glass as being half-empty. Talking about things re-hashes stuff we already know. Direct your thoughts on prayer. Pray for a wise and proper implementation of the TLM. Pray for less spiritual snobbery in the Archdiocese and greater fidelity to Holy Mother the Church.

Hasn’t The Grotto at 10 and Gratiot (I think that’s the location) always offered the TLM in the Archdiocese of Detroit? Has that Parish been disobeying Cardinal Maida? I am not familiar with Cardinal Maida disallowing the TLM when it has been requested, or am I wrong in thinking this?

Love,
Annie

The Latin mass the Assumption Grotto offers uses the current missal(Novus Ordo). For people not framiliar with teh Tridentine mass, it may look almost identical, since the priest faces the altar instead of the parishoners, the altar rail is used for communion for kneeling instead of standing and only ordianed ministers give out communion, but it is not the Traditional missal.

This will be interesting – I have long wanted to revisit a Tridentine Mass but would not attend unless it was indult. As soon as the Masses are scheduled, I plan to take my son so he can see what Masses were like when I was young. I have very fond memories of the beauty of the Tridentine Mass – and just as soon as I knew it in Latin, they changed it to English!

'thann

40.png
JNB:
The Latin mass the Assumption Grotto offers uses the current missal(Novus Ordo). For people not framiliar with teh Tridentine mass, it may look almost identical, since the priest faces the altar instead of the parishoners, the altar rail is used for communion for kneeling instead of standing and only ordianed ministers give out communion, but it is not the Traditional missal.
Yikes! This could get confusing if I were not paying close attention! 😉

Love,
Annie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back