Case of Florist Who Denied Service for Gay Wedding Is Heard

  • Thread starter Thread starter _Abyssinia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the whole ‘marriage means different things to different people’ and ‘moral relativism’ I would only say, It’s pretty clear to me that men and women are uniquely designed for one another, that together they can create new life, that the reproductive system of a man and a woman are so clearly designed for one another, hence there is no ‘equality’ with same sex marriage and marriage does not mean a bunch of different things, it’s just a lot of confused people out there who lack common sense or close their eyes to it for the sake of fulfilling their own desires.

And as we see with Christian florists and bakers, (Trying to set a precedent) it’s not enough for them to live a lie, some of them seem to feel they need to force everyone else to accept the lie too.

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh
 
As for the whole ‘marriage means different things to different people’ and ‘moral relativism’ I would only say
I haven’t said or implied anything about morality. I’ve mentioned cultural/societal changes and differences.

“After fifteen years of marriage Sally decided to get divorced and marry someone else in which she had interest.” ← I understand that there are many that would see Sally’s second marriage as not really a marriage or not valid because marriage can’t be dissolved.I understand that there are those that there are those that do think that someone else can have a valid second marriage. These are differences in views on this marriage. Acknowledgement of these differences in views is not itself a moral statement.

Not that I would expect this to be remembered, but you and I both interacted in threads about marriage back in 2013 where I expressed my own views of marriage.
It’s pretty clear to me that men and women are uniquely designed for one another
I’m sure most within this forum will agree with your views on marriage. Aspects of this case include deciding on rules for dealing with these conflicts and where someone can be denied service. This cake conflict is one of many that has come up. Others have included whether or not someone can be denied service at a restaurant for being gay, fired from a job, kicked out of the military, denied medical services, and others. New rules have formed from some of these conflicts. After the cake and flower issue is settles we will probably see more cases to establish other rules over time.
 
I haven’t said or implied anything about morality. I’ve mentioned cultural/societal changes and differences.
Which I think is fine, but most of the time I see/hear it, it’s in the context of moral relativism (That’s how I believe most people will take it), as Pontius Pilate, what is truth? what is marriage? and I believe people use it to throw their hands up in the air and just cave into whatever.

Note: *My apologies, I can’t remember exactly what your views were on marriage with our discussions on CAF in 2013. *
I’m sure most within this forum will agree with your views on marriage. Aspects of this case include deciding on rules for dealing with these conflicts and where someone can be denied service. This cake conflict is one of many that has come up. Others have included whether or not someone can be denied service at a restaurant for being gay, fired from a job, kicked out of the military, denied medical services, and others. New rules have formed from some of these conflicts. After the cake and flower issue is settles we will probably see more cases to establish other rules over time.
It’s one thing to say all this, but it’s another to put it to a case. I may not be very good with words, but when someone appeals to ‘fairness’ and the law, sorting out the legality of it all, and then we read stories of Asher’s Bakery getting sued, and some florist getting sued simply because they don’t want to participate in a same sex wedding, I have to call bulls&^t.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh
 
Stutzman (1) had previously sold the couple flowers and
(2) knew they were gay, but told them
(3) she couldn’t provide flowers for their wedding because same-sex marriage was incompatible with her Christian beliefs.
So they sued her. And found a sympathetic judge.

If there’s a "kickoff the new administration Apology Tour " like the last President felt compelled to make – make this one of the stops.

Grant one of your first pardons if necessary.

Promise to have your Justice Department look into such profligate harrassment of businesses and threats to peoples’ livelihoods (perhaps invoking "the Mc Carthy era" for a bit of mischievous cognitive dissonance on the part of those who’ve supported the plaintiffs in this)

… and since the flower shop owner is a woman and the gay couple **men **…
investigate whether it ***might *** be a “hate crime” … worthy of at least lengthy sensitivity training and psychological evaluations of their destructive floral obsessions.

JUST because the outcome won’t always be a complete victory shouldn’t mean that the “social justice” aspects of the case needn’t be pursued with unflagging zeal. < The previous administration has shone much light on how this might be done. :rolleyes:
 
They found one of the vast majority of Washington State judges that follow Washington State law.
Where does WA State law list prohibit discrimination against events. Events are not people.

A black print shop who refuses to print ‘garage sale’ signs for a white person because they are white is in violation of WA law. A black printer who refuses to print flyers for a Klan Rally is not. Even thought the customers are white, this is not a matter of racial discrimination. The black printer is under no obligation under discrimination law to support a Klan rally.

The same holds true for the flower sale. The person has served customers knowing that they were gay. This is fine. What they objected to was the event. That is clear from the testimony. A Christian florist is under no more obligation to participate in a gay wedding than the black printshop owner is required to support the rally.
 
While I understand the premise, I also have to concede that a florist or a baker is not the Church, nor do they hold any position within the Church to decide what is and what isn’t a valid marriage. I do understand that they are trying to avoid cooperating in sin and that is the basis for the refusal. However, what about other customers whose marriage appears invalid? To avoid cooperating with sin, should they also turn away divorced couples remarrying? What if someone came in to celebrate his marriage to his second wife? What about plural marriages? I think the approach, from a legal standpoint, gets sticky when you say that it is the morality of the marriage that causes the refusal. It forces one to judge all marriages and that puts the business in a peculiar position. I do understand that a man marrying a man or a woman marrying a woman are grave sins and much more obviously invalid, but the courts don’t see it from our point of view because they do not rule by Catholic teaching. They rule by entirely secular laws. The law holds all marriages equal, therefore, the rest of us, legally, must do so.

The fact that this case is in Washington, where there is no sympathy for Christians, is unfortunate. I do not see it going the florist’s way.

As a florist or a baker, it may be that one must provide the service requested, regardless, and confess the forced participation.
 
Where does WA State law list prohibit discrimination against events. Events are not people.

A black print shop who refuses to print ‘garage sale’ signs for a white person because they are white is in violation of WA law. A black printer who refuses to print flyers for a Klan Rally is not. Even thought the customers are white, this is not a matter of racial discrimination. The black printer is under no obligation under discrimination law to support a Klan rally.

The same holds true for the flower sale. The person has served customers knowing that they were gay. This is fine. What they objected to was the event. That is clear from the testimony. A Christian florist is under no more obligation to participate in a gay wedding than the black printshop owner is required to support the rally.
I agree, well said I believe.

God Bless You

Josh
 
I don’t see a problem as long as the Florist is not participating in the actual marriage ceremony…so a Protestant could refuse a Catholic because they might want a crucifix on their wedding corsage… as some of them don’t consider Catholics as Christians…they could refuse to sell to Jews…to Muslims…to anyone who doesn’t accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior… etc…and so on…because they are against their Christian belief…that’s the problem with some of those fundamentalist Christians…they interpret scripture how they want and become very judgmental because of their narrow view of scripture…check out some of those fundamentalist websites and their views on Catholics…being against gay marriage as a Christian is one thing…it’s another thing to start judging everyone who you consider a sinner…the Pharisees also were critical of Jesus because he dined with tax collectors and sinners…maybe the Florist and those who agree with her would also have been among those Pharisees criticizing Jesus.
 
Where does WA State law list prohibit discrimination against events. Events are not people.
What’s the difference between a heterosexual wedding and a homosexual wedding?
A black print shop who refuses to print ‘garage sale’ signs for a white person because they are white is in violation of WA law. A black printer who refuses to print flyers for a Klan Rally is not. Even thought the customers are white, this is not a matter of racial discrimination. The black printer is under no obligation under discrimination law to support a Klan rally.
The Klan member refused service has a good case. They should pursue legal remedies.
 
No, I believe there is a big difference between a race, gender, sexual orientation etc and someone’s actions. Supreme Court justices are a major worry if they can’t seem to get their heads around something that simple!
The difference is that it is not a sin to be of a different race or gender of one’s own whereas engaging in homosexuality is.
p.s. Haven’t these people got anything better to do than sue a Christian florest because they don’t want to violate their conscience in being a participant to a same sex wedding? so much for *‘how will two people of the same sex marrying affect you’ *
I think these lawsuits have more to do with making a political statement than they do with wedding cakes or flowers.
 
What’s the difference between a heterosexual wedding and a homosexual wedding?
One is contrary to Catholic teaching and one is not.
The Klan member refused service has a good case. They should pursue legal remedies.
Under what grounds?? That the printer refused service to white people.
 
One is contrary to Catholic teaching and one is not.
Washington State law is not based on Catholic doctrine. The only difference between a heterosexual wedding and a homosexual wedding is the participants are straight in one case and gay in the other. Providing flowers to straight people for weddings but not to gay people for weddings is textbook discrimination.
Under what grounds?? That the printer refused service to white people.
There could be an argument that Klan materials are political and therefore not protected, or related to religious beliefs that might be protected. I’ll admit I’m not up on my Klan definitions or case law in the area enough to really argue this point one way or the other.
 
Washington State law is not based on Catholic doctrine. The only difference between a heterosexual wedding and a homosexual wedding is the participants are straight in one case and gay in the other. Providing flowers to straight people for weddings but not to gay people for weddings is textbook discrimination.
What if the florist refused two straight men who were “getting married” to each other for immigration reasons?
 
Washington State law is not based on Catholic doctrine. The only difference between a heterosexual wedding and a homosexual wedding is the participants are straight in one case and gay in the other. Providing flowers to straight people for weddings but not to gay people for weddings is textbook discrimination.
You asked what the difference was, and I provided the answer.

Weddings are not protected classes of people, (heck, weddings are not people at all) ergo, one can make distinctions between them.
There could be an argument that Klan materials are political and therefore not protected, or related to religious beliefs that might be protected. I’ll admit I’m not up on my Klan definitions or case law in the area enough to really argue this point one way or the other.
Klan material, by definition, is related to race, and one race in particular.
 
You asked what the difference was, and I provided the answer.
You said it was okay to discriminate against events. I asked what the difference was to make a point. You provided a Catholic doctrine-based answer which is irrelevant to WA law. The difference between a straight wedding and a gay wedding is that the participants in one are straight and the participants in the other are gay. Providing flowers to the participants in a straight wedding but not the participants in a gay wedding is discrimination.

As always if the florist feels she can’t participate in gay weddings no one is forcing her to run a floral business. She agreed to follow state law to get licensed and run a public business; she doesn’t get to pick and choose which of the laws she voluntarily signed up for to follow. If she wishes to discriminate against gay people she is free to do so as a private citizen.
 
You said it was okay to discriminate against events. I asked what the difference was to make a point. You provided a Catholic doctrine-based answer which is irrelevant to WA law. The difference between a straight wedding and a gay wedding is that the participants in one are straight and the participants in the other are gay. Providing flowers to the participants in a straight wedding but not the participants in a gay wedding is discrimination.

As always if the florist feels she can’t participate in gay weddings no one is forcing her to run a floral business. She agreed to follow state law to get licensed and run a public business; she doesn’t get to pick and choose which of the laws she voluntarily signed up for to follow. If she wishes to discriminate against gay people she is free to do so as a private citizen.
I suppose this presupposes that the state has some kind of right (as opposed to sheer power) to interfere with the woman’s right to make an honest living.

You are also presupposing something about the priority of Washington law as opposed to Catholic doctrine.

As a Catholic, you seem to be forgetting that God’s moral law – strictly by virtue of the fact that he created the entire universe, including the people who “run” the state of Washington – supersedes Washington law in authority whenever and wherever the two are in conflict.

I guess I would hesitate defending state law against God’s moral law, as if some cohort of fallible human beings – whether they be in Washington State, Saudi Arabia or North Korea – could possibly know better than God what a good law would be.

It is one thing for a secularist who doesn’t even believe that God exists to take that position, but it strikes me as rather odd that someone who professes to believe in the omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent Being that God is, would choose to defer to a group of fallible humans when their views on morality or morally binding laws directly conflict with God’s known position on marriage.

Why would God, who certainly appears to have created them “male and female” – according to YOUR Catholic doctrine – be put into the position, defended by you, of letting a sincere and caring florist lose her honest livelihood for the sake of pandering to a judicial body that wants to design its own moral universe governed by an entirely capricious set of “determinations?” :ehh:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top