Catholic and Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
KathleenElsie said:
**IMO For many years the Democratic party stood for social justice and was a good thing.

Then the 1960s came and they embraced the “culture of death.” They still talk about social justice and I believe many members think they can ignore the “death” issue in the name of social justice. But we could not. We changed parties because of the “death” platform. This issue “trumps” all other issues in our opinion.

The other party is not perfect. But as a Catholic that wants to vote in the primary elections in Pennsylvania I need to be a member of one of the two main parties. We were registered as independent for a few years and found we were disenfranchised. The only time we could vote in primary elections was on issues and propositions. We would rather not be members of any party. But, we want to vote and have our votes count.We still vote for social justice issues. The November elections are not party only votes.

We refuse to have our names on the membership where “death” IMHO is its main platform. Just as we would not join the Masons nor other anti-Catholic Church teachings organizations, we won’t add our names to the democratic Party. If they stopped supporting the “death” and “anti-family” issues then we would re-think our position.
**

I am not sure by what you mean that in the 1960’s they embraced the culture of death. Do you mean the escalation of the war in Vietnam at the time? Certainly killing 58,000 of our country’s young men would contribute to the culture of death…but then weren’t Republicans , i.e. Nixon involved in this war also?
 
7 Unholy Sacracments Party by Bishop Doran (Rockford, IL)

By Hilary White

ROCKFORD, August 16, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Abortion, buggery, contraception, divorce, euthanasia, radical feminism, genetic experimentation and mutilation, are the seven “sacraments” of “one” US political party says the Bishop of the Catholic diocese of Rockford Illinois.

While stopping short of telling his flock how to vote, and without naming the Democrats by name, Bishop Thomas George Doran wrote in a column in the local diocesan newspaper that these “unholy sacraments of our secular culture are the seeds of the destruction of our nation.” He said that the continuance in office of those espousing them represent a “clear and present danger” to the survival of the US as a nation.

Bishop Doran, leader of the Rockford diocese’s 418,891 Catholics exhorts voters to “think for yourself” and ask, “what nation that kills its young, perverts marriage, prevents new life, and destroys the family, kills those deemed useless, makes the war of the sexes into a real war, and manipulates the genetic basis of human nature, can long endure?”

MORE lifesite.net/ldn/2006/aug/06081605.html
 
Republicans are equally part of the culture of death.

Since 2001. Republicans supported a war which was based on faulty intelligence (dare I say possible lies?), which resulted in 100,000 plus of iraq civilians killed, over 2000 of American soldiers wounded.

For an industrialized nation we have the highest infant mortality rate which studies have shown that most reason is due to lack of healthcare (insurance) available to the poor.

Poverty rate is going up and according to those butchers over at Planned Parenthood their surveys show consistently that number one reason (75%) girls and women come in for abortion is because of economic issues.

Not all Republicans are Pro-Life (BUT NOT ALL DEMOCRATS ARE PRO-ABORTION; see democratsforlife.org).

I would say the Republican party has talked about Pro-Life but hardley act like it.
 
Republicans are equally part of the culture of death.

Since 2001. Republicans supported a war which was based on faulty intelligence (dare I say possible lies?), which resulted in 100,000 plus of iraq civilians killed, over 2000 of American soldiers wounded.

For an industrialized nation we have the highest infant mortality rate which studies have shown that most reason is due to lack of healthcare (insurance) available to the poor.

Poverty rate is going up and according to those butchers over at Planned Parenthood their surveys show consistently that number one reason (75%) girls and women come in for abortion is because of economic issues.

Not all Republicans are Pro-Life (BUT NOT ALL DEMOCRATS ARE PRO-ABORTION; see democratsforlife.org).

I would say the Republican party has talked about Pro-Life but hardley act like it.
I totally agree! 👍 I am a registered Democrat and proud of it!!!
 
I am a Catholic and a Democrat. I became a Democrat on the flip of a coin, because it was and is my intention to vote intelligently for the person or proposition I believe to be the best choice, not by a party label. Where I live, if one is not listed with a recognized party, one is severely restricted at the ballot box.
Sadly, we are all left to vote for the lesser of the evils:p .
Guess the best and brightest are also smart enough not to put themselves in the line of fire when the mud starts flying:) .
I recall a man whose opponent started a whispering campaign against him, a breathless “He actually practiced celebacy until he was married!” Exit polls showed that many voters did not know the meaning of the word, but assumed that it was something bad.
 
I recall a man whose opponent started a whispering campaign against him, a breathless “He actually practiced celebacy until he was married!” Exit polls showed that many voters did not know the meaning of the word, but assumed that it was something bad.
That’s funny and sad at the same time. It’s funny because it shows how ignorant the citizens of this country really are and it’s sad because it’s damaging to a good man, it sounds like.
 
That’s funny and sad at the same time. It’s funny because it shows how ignorant the citizens of this country really are and it’s sad because it’s damaging to a good man, it sounds like.
I think politicians will do anything, say anything, promise anything to get elected. All too many people who go to the polls vote for a candidate for a certain party and if you were to ask them what the party stands for, they cannot tell you. But grandaddy always voted that way. But these same people also don’t know who their congressmen/women are. Too bad there is not some kind of test to allow only those voters who know what is going on to vote.

You can vote for a good candidate in either party, but unless the party itself backs what you believe in, I don’t think you have much chance of seeing your ideas come to fruition. Too many politicians says one thing to their constituents and then go back to DC, confer and bargain with their buddies, and vote the party line.
 
I think that most of the issues in today’s world that the government concerns itself with are clouded and gray because not enough “black and white” exists in our world today. With devil’s advocate groups like the American Civil Liberties Union, it is easy for even good politicians to be confused when governing the people.👍
 
. . .Too many politicians says one thing to their constituents and then go back to DC, confer and bargain with their buddies, and vote the party line.
It’s sad but true. 😦 Unfortunately, this is not a new development and has been going on for a good hundred or so years now.
 
How did Catholics get associated with the Republican party in the first place, rather than the Democrat party?
 
How did Catholics get associated with the Republican party in the first place, rather than the Democrat party?
Traditionally, Catholics have largely been Democrats. But then the Democratic Party turned into the Party of Death and Sodomy, supporting taxpayer-funded abortion-on-demand, homosexual “marriage,” and embryonic stem cell research as planks of its national platform. Add to this widespread continuing support of social services programs that contradict one of the core principles of Catholic social justice (subsidiarity) and Catholic Democrats in office saying that Church teaching takes a back seat to the DNC, and the shift away from the Democratic Party is entirely understandable. Given our two party system, the shift toward the Republican Party is very nearly unavoidable.

Check this nice article for some insights: catholiceducation.org/articles/politics/pg0153.html

– Mark L. Chance.
 
September 29, 2006
**
Cog in wheel, pebble in shoe: Update on parental notice bill
**
Hi from DC. Had preplanned a trip here for another reason; got involved in the fight over the interstate parental notification bill yesterday. And it has quickly escalated to an all-out Senate war, because the **Child Custody Protection Act **would have a major impact on abortion in the US. Read backdrop here.

**Senator Frist’s **bold move took everyone by surprise. But to our side it was a “yee, haw!” moment; to pro-aborts it was an “oh, no” moment (or something like that). So we organized much more quickly than they did. In fact, the other side is still reeling. God forgive me, I’m loving that.

That said, Democrat Senator Dick Durbin, ever earning his name, quickly became the Senate force behind stalling/stopping CCPA, throwing nails, glass, and even his pitchfork on the road to blow out CCPA’s tires. Goal? Slow it down at least until Saturday, when senators may leave town for campaign events. CCPA needs 60 votes to overcome procedural roadblocks. Last time the Senate voted on CCPA, there were 65 ayes. And if senators don’t leave town, Republicans will suffer more than Democrats for missing opportunities to get their message out at home.

So, our side’s goal is to call CCPA for a vote THIS AFTERNOON. Therefore, calls are critical this morning. And make those calls to DC offices if possible, not in-state offices. If you called yesterday, call again today. The Capitol switchboard is 1-202/224-3121. I was proud to hear you ringing Senator Obama’s phone off the hook while I was waiting to waste my time speaking to his staff yesterday afternoon. But I did it because someone told me the other day that while some people may seem impossible to convince, placing a pebble in their shoe at least makes it harder for them to walk.

Calls to 14 Democrats who previously voted for CCPA are top priority. If you live in those states, have everyone in your family call, even the dog. Then tell your friends and their dogs to call:

Mark Pryor (AR)
Ken Salazar (CO)
Thomas Carper (DE)
Bill Nelson (FL)
Daniel Inouye (HI)
Evan Bayh (IN)
Mary Landrieu (LA)
Ben Nelson (NE)
Harry Reid (NV)
Kent Conrad (ND)
Byron Dorgan (ND)
Tim Johnson (SD)
Robert Byrd (WV)
Herbert Kohl (WI)

I cannot overstate how important this bill is. More on that when the dust settles. Thanks.

MORE jillstanek.org/
 
I’m both Catholic and Democrat, but I’m considering switching my registration to “independent,” merely as a statement (which probably won’t be heard by anybody anyway!). The Republicans don’t represent my values either and except for a couple of outstanding examples, I don’t think they’re all that gung-ho on reversing Roe v. Wade. But then, maybe I’m just getting cynical in my old age.
I am going independent as well kind sir.

God bless,
Jonfan
 
Republicans are equally part of the culture of death.

Since 2001. Republicans supported a war which was based on faulty intelligence (dare I say possible lies?), which resulted in 100,000 plus of iraq civilians killed, over 2000 of American soldiers wounded.

For an industrialized nation we have the highest infant mortality rate which studies have shown that most reason is due to lack of healthcare (insurance) available to the poor.

Poverty rate is going up and according to those butchers over at Planned Parenthood their surveys show consistently that number one reason (75%) girls and women come in for abortion is because of economic issues.

Not all Republicans are Pro-Life (BUT NOT ALL DEMOCRATS ARE PRO-ABORTION; see democratsforlife.org).

I would say the Republican party has talked about Pro-Life but hardley act like it.
I might be a fool here but I don’t think we were lied too. Other members of the security council had the same intel. War and Abortion are two seperate issues. For instance Sadam Hussien didn’t cause mass graves while still in the womb.
 
For one: He appointed two Supreme Court Justices that will stick to ruling on law and not making new law. They are prolife and this will be good. They would vote to overturn Roe v Wade, since this was not based on the Constitution.
Even Justice Ginsberg, one of the most liberal judges on the SC, has said that the RvW ruling was poor interpretation of the Constitution.
 
I also see that many Catholics who are Democrat do so out of family tradition (such as in my case).
You could break that tradition! Many members of my family were long time Democrats but have since changed to Republican. I tell people I am Roman Catholic when asked my party affiliation…and that is how I vote! With that said I voted for George W. Bush and George H. Bush. Like I said I am Roman Catholic and I vote on the issues not party lines.
 
You could break that tradition! Many members of my family were long time Democrats but have since changed to Republican. I tell people I am Roman Catholic when asked my party affiliation…and that is how I vote! With that said I voted for George W. Bush and George H. Bush. Like I said I am Roman Catholic and I vote on the issues not party lines.
I vote on the issues too. That is why I am voting Democrat. Neither party right now is completely Pro-Life in their words and/or actions. I will take the lesser of two evils. Also there is a growing group with in the Democratic party that is growing every day. The Democrats For Life and gaining ground with in the party. I just attended a meeting in my state and very encouraged by them. Holding Life as sacred and holding to most of the Catholic Social Teachings.
 
I vote on the issues too. That is why I am voting Democrat. Neither party right now is completely Pro-Life in their words and/or actions. I will take the lesser of two evils. Also there is a growing group with in the Democratic party that is growing every day. The Democrats For Life and gaining ground with in the party. I just attended a meeting in my state and very encouraged by them. Holding Life as sacred and holding to most of the Catholic Social Teachings.
That’s great…I have long said I would vote for Pro-life Democrats…but just having a couple of token Pro-life Democrats on board does not make the party strong on the issues. The party itself would have to change its platform. The Democrat platform is Pro-death…
  • Abortion
  • Euthanasia
  • Embryonic stem-cell research
  • Human cloning
  • and homosexual “marriage”
    How can the Democrats be the lesser of two evils? It is easy to say the Republicans are not doing enough…this is a fact. However the Democrats back these issues and are responsible for putting into law these horrible evils. I ask again…How can the Democrats be the lesser of two evils?
 
That’s great…I have long said I would vote for Pro-life Democrats…but just having a couple of token Pro-life Democrats on board does not make the party strong on the issues. The party itself would have to change its platform. The Democrat platform is Pro-death…
  • Abortion
  • Euthanasia
  • Embryonic stem-cell research
  • Human cloning
  • and homosexual “marriage”
    How can the Democrats be the lesser of two evils? It is easy to say the Republicans are not doing enough…this is a fact. However the Democrats back these issues and are responsible for putting into law these horrible evils. I ask again…How can the Democrats be the lesser of two evils?
They’re not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top